need advice on GPS purchase.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I had a garmin nuvi GPS in the rent car on vacation and i want to get one for myself. I think it was the 660.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It doesn't have to be top of the line, but i want the most bang for the buck. Price isn't a huge deal as i will probably find a used one of whatever model i decide on.

Please post up your experiences and recommendations!

I've had Garmin and Tom Tom 1, and the tom tom was hands down better, was dead on accurate and super easy to use compared the the Garmin. I also had the british women on mine, that was hot. lol.

my father in law has the tom-tom. he (thinks) he knows everything and swears its better then my magellan, but i think my screen is better and its damn accurate the battery will also last a while. i use it to do estimates and get me from job site to job site. i noticed the tom-tom takes a minute to "find" itself when it was plugged in and the battery died as soon as it was unplugged. i like the magellan better. its easyer to get back to your prevoius addresses. and will "sound out" your adress if you dont know the correct spelling. the tom tom sent us 2 diffrent ways starting from the same locotion, it just makes it harder if you "really" dont know where you are.. magellan.. i dont know how much it cost.. it was a gift

I've had Garmin and Tom Tom 1, and the tom tom was hands down better, was dead on accurate and super easy to use compared the the Garmin. I also had the british women on mine, that was hot. lol.

100% in agreement with slowngreen.
I've had the TomTom One for almost 2 years now, and it paid for itself in a month with what I saved in gas making U-turns. I also have a British lady who tells me to "Get on the Motorway".

i am leaning tward the nuvi 265wt. i havent had any experience with the tom tom brand though. the one i am looking at has a wide screen, free traffic updates for life (mandatory in houston) and text recognition so it says the street name instead of just "in 500 feet turn left" i found one on ebay for $179 shipped, NIB. dunno yet, may try to find a used one.

My brother-in-law has the Tom-tom and really enjoys the British Babe. I keep telling him he needs the Sam Kinneson voice upgrade to scream "You mad e a wrong f*****n' turn! OHHHH OHHHHH!"

i am leaning tward the nuvi 265wt. i havent had any experience with the tom tom brand though. the one i am looking at has a wide screen, free traffic updates for life (mandatory in houston) and text recognition so it says the street name instead of just "in 500 feet turn left" i found one on ebay for $179 shipped, NIB. dunno yet, may try to find a used one.

For the wife, I picked up the non-wide screen version on ebay for a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=190305699858

The only thing I don't like about it is the bluetooth microphone sucks. The person on the other end can barely hear you talking unless you are right up against the unit. Other than that it's a solid unit, it maps very quickly and is super easy to use.

My wife has a nuvi 265wt, she likes it but it does have trouble finding things once an a while.....It couldn't find out local Wal~Mart, WTH?

In the TomTom, the Mafia limo driver is great....

"Ay, Yo, git in da caw. I'll take ya faw a ride ya can't ruhfyooz."

I would never get away from Garmin. They are the oldest GPS company besides Raymarine, and the only raymarine vehicle gps runs about $1800. I used to work at a place called West Marine, (a national boat supply chain) and had the oportunity to try many different units. They all preformed well, but the garmin was just a step above for me. I have 2 garmin nuvi 200's. One in my truck, one in my unit.

You have a GPS in your unit. Does your girlfriend know?

how else could i get it in her?

Does it tell you if it went in the wrong way? :hehe:

Back