my t maxx keeps running away from me

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gutterboy

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello, I was hoping that someone can help me out. I just bought a t maxx and at first it took a couple of days to get it adjusted. After that it ran fine until one day it took of from me. I thought it was the batteries so I changed them, that wasn't it. Then I changed the reciever box, and that wasn't it. Some one told me it was my crystals. Do you think that is the problem. It is the old t maxx with the .15 motor. If you can help me out I would appreciate it.

Two things you should do. A failsafe and a throttle return spring. both of these will help keep the truck from running away from you.

Yes it could be your crystals that could be it. Ok i dont want to make you sound like you are stupid but is your radio antenna up? I have done that many times. Started driving my car without it up lucky i have a fail safe or i would have a broken savage. lol
Doug

Sorry if i offend you in any way by asking that question. Its just it is a simple mistake that everyone makes.

Also it would help us if you told us how car away it is from you when it happens.

I had a problem with the old Tmaxx TRX radio. I was fine up close but could not go over 50 ft from me and I would have problems. You may have the same problem. It is either the radio or the receiver I would bet that are screwed.

Crystals are wierd. They can be okay one minute and then off your car goes wide ass open hitting a wall. If you have a friend that has another car with same fm or am crystal, swap with him/her. See if that helps. Also my nextel affects my car when it's about to ring... I have to leave it in the car or inside.

I had my T-Maxx 2.5 hit a curb head-on at full throttle just 15' in front of me. Batteries were fresh and were just put in that day. It also happened to be the break-in day, and it went down just 2 tanks after the break-in. I installed the fail-safe during the repairs that followed and went out again. Wouldn't you know the fail-safe works great but it is a little annoying when your truck just stops over and over. I next ditched the crap stock radio and intstalled an XS3. Now, no problems. Fail-safe has not kicked-in once.

Oh, I also installed a 6V 2100mah NiMH receiver pack which probably helped as well.

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10159.16

You didnt offend me DougC but my antenna was up. It was only about 6 to 8 feet away from me. I can tell you this much, when it happened, it reved really high, and it took forever to shut off. I thought it was going to melt down. When that was happening the radio wouldnt move the servos or respond to anything.

did you turn on the radio i did that with my old freinds tmaxx and it took off and the engine never ran the same after that
then it was stolen and now we are happy savage owners that need a parts truck or enough parts to build a truck to keep them running

well i bought new crystals for it so i am going to see if that straightens it out if not i am just going to try to get crazy with it, i have another t maxx coming to me thursday. i saw this e maxx on ebay that is preety cool, i dony know if anyone has seen anything like it, but if your interested the item number is 3150756110. i thought about trying to do sometning like that to my t maxx.

I had my T-Maxx 2.5 hit a curb head-on at full throttle just 15' in front of me. Batteries were fresh and were just put in that day. It also happened to be the break-in day, and it went down just 2 tanks after the break-in. I installed the fail-safe during the repairs that followed and went out again. Wouldn't you know the fail-safe works great but it is a little annoying when your truck just stops over and over. I next ditched the crap stock radio and intstalled an XS3. Now, no problems. Fail-safe has not kicked-in once.

Oh, I also installed a 6V 2100mah NiMH receiver pack which probably helped as well.

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10159.16
What is the fail safe where do I get one

Crystal Radios are prone to interference and most likely this is the reason why you are having issues.
I would stop spending money on that old Radio gear and get yourself even a cheapie 2.4 GHz Radio gear, it will be a night and day difference.
I personally use Flysky GT5 and am very happy with it.
Good luck!

Yes, get a new transmitter and receiver. Night and day difference. I just did this on my old T-Maxx.
You only need a three channel transmitter and receiver like the FlySky FSGR3E for that old T-Maxx for only 40$ but if you plan on getting more cars in the future or if you want to add lights and gadgets, which require more channels on your transmitter then I recommend the FlySky GT5. At 80$ with a receiver it is double the cost but lots more bang for your buck.
The GT5 will also allow you to use the one transmitter to control many cars.

Crystal Radios are prone to interference and most likely this is the reason why you are having issues.
I would stop spending money on that old Radio gear and get yourself even a cheapie 2.4 GHz Radio gear, it will be a night and day difference.
I personally use Flysky GT5 and am very happy with it.
Good luck!
I agree. 2.4GHz is the way to go, it's just so much better. As for a "cheapie radio", I recommend the DumboRC X6 transmiter. You can get it with or without a gyro (about $6 difference), absolutely epic radio for the price, I have one, and it's great. They're around $40 now

Talk about digging up an old thread though 🤣