My Scaler Project... Jeep Tuber ...(Update 5-1-14)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NC,

That project is a thing of beauty!!! I cannot wait to see it finished...Best of luck and continued success with it...

HAWK

Man I wish I was that creative....and you have some welding skills to boot.

Nice work.....keep the pics coming.

Mike

WOW,now thats built from scratch! looks very nice and can't wait to see the end product. And I love those jeep bodies,still wanting the old cj body though.

hey, NCNitro, wich is the tubber chassis weigh?

NC I was thinking that the truck would look cool with a weathered look to it.

Anyways have you considered these for axles. http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMIYA-F350-HIGH-LIFT-AXLES-SCALE-ROCK-CRAWLER-DIFFS_W0QQitemZ110166059143QQihZ001QQcategoryZ44028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was thinking the same thing, the paint on this one has gotten a bit beat up during the build so I am about to flat black it, lol.

The high lift axles are a bit wider than the TLT or Axial axles, and I want to keep the look as scale as possible. The nice thing about the axial axles is that they already have a location on the axle to mount the steering servo. On the high lift axles there really is no way mounting the servo on the axle, plus the extra width doesn't make them my first choice.

hey, NCNitro, wich is the tubber chassis weigh?

Wish I knew Kazi. I don't have a scale to weigh it on, sorry man.

ok thank's I want to build a tubber for my superclass Clod and I'm a bit concerned about the weigh, I hope you don't mind if I clone some of your ideas:)

axial for the win. i don't have any to speak of, but they just look like they build a quality product. not to mention... i've heard nothing but good things.

as for the project... wow. very cool. the problem with these kinds of custom things is that they consume you, no? on my BL revo conversion, there's so many custom things going on, that i'm constantly designing and re-designing in my head, until it just clicks. then i actually get to sit down in front of it, and more poop has to be made, lol.

custom is always so much more gratifying when you're all done. best of luck to you, but it doesn't look like you need any luck. you're all skeell!!

oh... and you have a PM.

Nope, I don't mind at all Kazi, I cloned some of John Boyers ideas, then added my own designs to make it my own. If you have any questions along the way I would be happy to help you any way I can.

Wait till you see the newest pics, I have the tranny mounting section as well as a removable brush guard/rock loop done for it now too. I made the guard removable so I could change it around, guard with loop, loop only, guard only, whatever I want to make for it. Plus if it gets destroyed I can unbolt it and throw a new one on in a matter of minutes. I am going to make a second one with just a loop for it too. Also by making them seperate from the chassis they can be powder coated a different color than the chassis if you wanted to.

I'll see if I can find someone with a scale that I can weigh it on after I get the last few pieces on it. It doesn't feel as heavy as I thought it would be, or as it looks, but I'll try and get it weighed for you. I used 3/16 cold rolled steel rod, mig welded. I see guys use brazed brake line but to me that just wouldn't be anywhere near as strong, and would bend easily. I wasn't going for a comp rig, just wanted to build a scale trail truck so weight wasn't a big concerne for me. But you could use less rod to reduce weight. I used a few extra pieces that didnt need to be there for appearence and due to the fact I plan on building a full interior for it, and mount a spare tire too. But I would have left those pieces off for a full on comp rig.

Well it's been almost a month since my last update. The chassis is now basically done other than the powder coating. I still haven't really decided on what color I want to powder coat it yet.

RoughFinishedChassis9.jpg

RoughFinishedChassis6.jpg

RoughFinishedChassis8.jpg

I made the front bumper grill guard a removable piece rather than welding it to the chassis. It worked out real nice and will give me different options, where I can also make different style grill guards, brush guards, and rock hoops and change them out should I want to, or should I damage one.

RoughFinishedBrushGuard2.jpg

RoughFinishedChassis3.jpg

RoughFinishedChassis2.jpg

GrillGuard.jpg

I removed and replace the side bar where the doors would be and was much happier with the new design over the way it was.

Updatedsidebar4.jpg

Updatedsidebar3.jpg

So this is where I am at now...

RoughFinishechassiswithLid5.jpg

DSC00889.jpg

RoughFinishechassiswithLid.jpg

Stay tuned for the next update........

Man you are inspiring......that is a whole new level of detailed.....keep up the great work!!!

Mike

WOW, NC !! That is SO beautiful. It looks so super the way it is, that I think you should only consider silver powder coat.

amazing...

what are you going to be powering this baby with? electric or nitro?

WOW, NC !! That is SO beautiful. It looks so super the way it is, that I think you should only consider silver powder coat.

I was thinking the same thing. I think silver powder coat would look great, and be nuetral so I could throw any color paint job on it and it would still look good. I think a colored powder coat would limit my choices on paintjobs. But I must say, I really like the look of the flat black with the plasticoat flares. You could not get a more real looking flare if you tried than with the spray on plasticoat.

amazing...

what are you going to be powering this baby with? electric or nitro?

It will be electric. I plan on using a 35 turn motor, waterproof mtronics esc, and a RC4WD R2 tranny in it, with axial axles as soon as they are available.

Awesome bro... I with you on the plasticoat flares. I used black plasti on my little mini-t Hummer body and it really did the trick. Keep up the good work!

I absolutely agree on the body, with those flares. I'm working on a Rubicon body myself.
I just got some glass bookshelves with silver powder coated tubes holding it all together, and they look like stainless steel.
If the frame is silver, it will be a highlight everywhere in the car, and you're right, a colored cage would limit your other choices, and just look like plastic.

It just amazes me that there sits a recognizable Jeep, with no tires and no body. What an EXCELLENT build.

Back