Mutant Gorgon

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome! I like it better without the wing, but a smaller wing than what you had would look good on there too.

I like it better without the wing
Same here. Only reason to put one on is because the body has wing mounting stanchions molded in. I may just make a plate from 1/8" PVC just big enough to span the stanchions and use the existing bumpers on that.

Same here. Only reason to put one on is because the body has wing mounting stanchions molded in. I may just make a plate from 1/8" PVC just big enough to span the stanchions and use the existing bumpers on that.
That's why I suggested a small wing. Those uprights just stick out like that.

Another saver bites the dust :mad:
Different failure mode, unrepairable.
Crappy design and proprietary.
I have one more factory one and a Kimbrough 124.
I'll try the factory one again then the Kimbrough.
Looking for a metal one with enough clearance for the tie rod ends.
Any suggestions?

PXL_20231119_145414302-EDIT.jpg

Bug Body paint done, my glitter can failed so I used some lexan blue/purple flip paint. After it bakes out I'll redo the windows with holo film and attach all the bumpers and skid plates.
PXL_20231119_151354018-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20231119_151629632-EDIT.jpg

it has 4 eyes....
It IS a mutant, after all...:D
The color shift paint looks great!
It's Duplicolor, supposedly works on flexible auto bumpers and stuff. We'll see how it holds up on the bug PVC exterior. I think I have enough bumpers to protect against most scrapes.
Oh, my... that looks strangely good.
Strange is good. I like strange.
Two more packs yesterday and today and the saver is hanging in so far. If it fails again I'll put in the Kimbrough.
Anyone have any experience with Xray savers?
Pricey but looks beefy...
https://www.amainhobbies.com/xray-xstiff-composite-servo-saver-set-xra372503/p219462

Here's some mods to reinforce and use Redcat/ Summitlink or other 1/10 compatible bodies on the Gorgon chassis.
These bodies are PVC but really common and cheap. The problem is there is not enough support to stop the body from trashing itself on hard inverted landings.
Previously in this thread I listed what body mounts I used, here's what I added.
Two pieces of high density foam (made from Slash battery pads) and a piece of foam/Velcro on the front body mount.
PXL_20231122_142138518-EDIT.jpg

PXL_20231122_142117530-EDIT.jpg

One full size double stickied in front of the receiver box and one cut in half in front of the motor fan. These provide support for the rear of the hood and the front of the truck bed. I also fabbed up a 1/8" PVC plate with some Velcro padding that mounts over the body posts to support the rear of the truck bed.
PXL_20231122_142204675-EDIT.jpg

I love the bug body but I think I'll keep running the truck bodies for a while. Some cement board tape, Flex Seal and these support mods should help preserve them better. Amazon had a overstock sale on a truck tiger body for $13, I got two of them. Now I have a Tiger team!🐯🐅🐯
PXL_20231122_145109832-EDIT.jpg

Here's all the bodies that fit the chassis.
PXL_20231122_142522269-EDIT.jpg

Excellent. Thanks for the r&d before I get mine!
Not a big Elon fan but his approach of "fail fast, fail often" applies here...
You're gonna love it. If I want to just hoon around the yard and simply have fun this is my go-to. Besides the wonky servo saver this thing is about indestructible. There's people on the tubes doing some pretty brutal things with the Gorgon way beyond what's sane and it still takes it.
It'll be interesting to see what variants Arrma comes up with in the future - they sure have a winner chassis with a lot of 3s DNA and compatibility.
I'm definitely getting a second one as a roller if they eventually offer it.

Not a big Elon fan but his approach of "fail fast, fail often" applies here...
You're gonna love it. If I want to just hoon around the yard and simply have fun this is my go-to. Besides the wonky servo saver this thing is about indestructible. There's people on the tubes doing some pretty brutal things with the Gorgon way beyond what's sane and it still takes it.
It'll be interesting to see what variants Arrma comes up with in the future - they sure have a winner chassis with a lot of 3s DNA and compatibility.
I'm definitely getting a second one as a roller if they eventually offer it.
That sounds great. Turn between this and a Kyosho Fazer.
Think it can handle a ramp? 😇😁🫠

Back