Mud/Water/Dirt/Sandproofing a Baja=

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battlesmurf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First things first- been away for awhile- still have my 5b RTR. Grabbed an SS kit recently- and I want to make it as durable as possible. Anybody have any suggestions on what parts to get- and possibly a suggestion on where to get the bulk of them?

Also- as bonus points- as I'm doing the SS from the ground up- are there any other cheapie little mods/upgrades that I can do before it goes together? For the record- my RTR has some very minimal work- never had a problem with it.

(I am familiar with Team Gonads)

I saw in your other thread that you've ordered from DDM before. They are carrying TONS of stuff, and that's where I'm getting the bulk of my stuff from, with some other stuff from TGN. I have the 5b SS that I won here on RCNT in a lottery in February. A lot of information can be found over at hpibajaforum.com. It's a sister or cousin or something to this site. Also, the first things that you should get are the outercovers filters for the pull start and air filter. I also bought a RamTech aluminum front shock tower and a Turtle Racing front shock tower brace. The front end and top of the shocks take the force of most impacts in a roll over the way that I've been driving mine. The outerwears for sure, before you ever start it. Over at the other forum I mentioned there are some great tutorials. One of them is on how to build a screen filter for the 5b motor. There's a huge open area at the back of the motor for cooling purposes, and if you run in gravel it will get into that opening and break the flywheel. I think you can buy the materials and do it for around 10 bucks, and if you run in gravel it can be a life saver. I have been very pleased with the SS exhaust system that comes with the kit. If you have any questions, PM me, but you probably have had more experience with yours than I have with mine. If you want to see some good action shots, check out the "hard days work"thread of mine in the general chaos section. Also, a really good mod that you may want to do is changing the rear tires. I was having a big problem getting traction with the stock 26CC engine. I put on a set of Pro-Line badlands rear tires, and it made SUCH a difference. Hostile Hobbies makes the best tires on the market. They are about twice the cost of the badlands, which isn't bad considering they will hook up better because you can get them in a specialized tread pattern for where you will be running, and they will last 3 to 4 times as long. I bought the badlands because they were in stock at the LHS, but the next ones will be hostile hobbies. I have a set of Team Fast Eddy pro series bearings and they are amazing. If you will be running in a lot of dirt and sand, consider the bearing greaser (I think it's called the bullett) that fast eddy sells. Easiest way I've seen to pack bearings and if you run in sand it will make your bearings last much longer.

Honestly, if you were happy with the RTR and never really broke anything, then you can just add a set of outerwears to your SS build and you will be good to go.

The SS offers better shocks, HD dog bones, alum diff housing, 26cc motor and tuned pipe. Those are the major upgrades other than the color.

One item I will recommend is the TGN Redneck Pre-Filter. It is huge improvement over stock and is inexpensive.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention something else. Goden Horizon offers a LIFETIME warranty on all of their products, which is a HUGE deal. GH, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you ever bend or break one of their parts, you just send it to them and they send you a new one right there. There prices are very reasonable, but even if they were a lil more it would be worth it to have that piece of mind.