MGT 8.0 or LST XXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarcet85

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey whats up guys I'm buying another mt and I found a brand new lst xxl which I already have one and love it. but the mgt 8.0 looks like a strong truck any suggestions need to make decision asap

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

I think because I have a xxl maybe I should go with the 8.0 seeing that I've already pre ordered the new xxl 2 june can't come fast enough

Probably shouldn't buy the MGT; You'll realize how anemic other stock MT engines are by comparison.

1902770_10202923150263619_787050067_n.jpg

I would recommend a CEN GST 7.7. This is one beefy rig. 3 speed tranny. Solid aftermarket. Is set up to add 4 wheel steer. Just a Beast of a truck! It Dwarfs a MGT.

I would recommend a CEN GST 7.7. This is one beefy rig. 3 speed tranny. Solid aftermarket. Is set up to add 4 wheel steer. Just a Beast of a truck! It Dwarfs a MGT.

One, you JUST got that truck 6 days ago, and to my knowledge haven't even had a chance to really run it on account of servo issues. It's great that you like it, but I don't feel that you are qualified to recommend it to others just yet. I don't start recommending vehicles on the basis of personal ownership until I've put them through the wringer for at least a couple months. I was a huge fan of my Prolite 4x4 for the first couple of weeks, until I started running it harder and finding out the weak points. I liked my Megabaja a lot more before I started having issues, too. Wait until the "shiny new toy" aspect of ownership wears off, then make a critical assessment of the kit. Unless they're flat-out duds, most of us view the new RC through rose colored glasses for awhile, extolling the virtues and disregarding the shortcomings.

Two, the OP didn't query "which monster truck should I buy". He asked for opinions to help him decide between two specific trucks.

I know he didn't ask which MT to buy. I thought I would let him know that there a other Big trucks he might want to consider besides the two he mentioned. He may not even know others exist. And no I haven't run my rig very much. But the facts I mentioned about the GST have nothing to do with my opinion. They are specs about that rig. No different then the specs you read about the MGT on their website. It IS a 3 speed. I'm just recommending that he looks around and sees all the other cool rigs out there. And if he wants a Big 1/8 scale then he should check out the CEN because its a Big Rig. Oh wait, I haven't driven it much, so maybe I'm wrong.....

---------- Post added at 6:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:06 PM ----------

hey whats up guys I'm buying another mt and I found a brand new lst xxl which I already have one and love it. but the mgt 8.0 looks like a strong truck any suggestions need to make decision asap

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

I think because I have a xxl maybe I should go with the 8.0 seeing that I've already pre ordered the new xxl 2 june can't come fast enough

If I could afford a MGT, I would totally give it a try!!

No different then the specs you read about the MGT on their website.

What specs? I listed no specs. Your statement is snarky, presumptuous and wrong.

I do know, from experience, that the .50 engine in the MGT is more powerful than the HPI 5.9, the Losi SS .26 or 454 and the Corsa NX-76.

I never said the GST wasn't a 3 speed. I didn't say it's a bad truck. I didn't say it's a good truck. In fact, I didn't say anything about the truck. I simply said I feel that one week of ownership and no experience with the others leaves you unqualified to make recommendations, and that the OP did not ask about the GST or other monster trucks "He may not even know exist" (which was also a presumptuous assessment on your part).

You will find that people become quickly annoyed with you when you're asking for advice one week and suddenly an expert the next. Might I remind you of what you told us just 2-1/2 weeks ago?

Well, I raced pro electric in a local circuit back in the 80's with a heavily modded Tamiya Lunchbox when I was 11. Trying my luck at Nitro all these years later. Hoping to get some good input from the experienced folks here

I'll leave it at that.

What specs? I listed no specs. Your statement is snarky, presumptuous and wrong.

I do know, from experience, that the .50 engine in the MGT is more powerful than the HPI 5.9, the Losi SS .26 or 454 and the Corsa NX-76.

I never said the GST wasn't a 3 speed. I didn't say it's a bad truck. I didn't say it's a good truck. In fact, I didn't say anything about the truck. I simply said I feel that one week of ownership and no experience with the others leaves you unqualified to make recommendations, and that the OP did not ask about the GST or other monster trucks "He may not even know exist" (which was also a presumptuous assessment on your part).

You will find that people become quickly annoyed with you when you're asking for advice one week and suddenly an expert the next. Might I remind you of what you told us just 2-1/2 weeks ago?

I'll leave it at that.

I never said you listed any specs. I said I was listing specs, not recommendations. I never said I was an expert. I never said the GST is a great truck and run out and buy one, I stated facts only.

---------- Post added at 6:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:55 PM ----------

I never said you listed any specs. I said I was listing specs, not recommendations. I never said I was an expert. I never said the GST is a great truck and run out and buy one, I stated facts only.

I can have an opinion on anything I want.

I would recommend the MGT man there good rigs. They do have weak toe link setups but other than that toss in a FOC and your good to go. I have been beating the crap out of both my MGT 4.6 rigs with little problems. I have owned about every brand and config in monster trucks and the MGT is pretty solid in stock form.

I really can't comment on the xxl as I've never had the opportunity to check one out, or run one. But, I am a huge fan of variety in the garage. If you've already got one, and the xxl 2 pre-ordered, i say go for the MGT 8.0. Sometimes, variety is a good thing...lol I have the MGT 4.60SE and it is a solid truck in stock form. Never touched an 8.0 though.

Best of luck in whatever you decide on.

-Nitro

Thanks for the input guys decided to get another xxl seeing it was brand new in the box and I have a bunch off spare parts that I got for my other xxl when I heard it was discontinued. I still want a mgt but its going to have to wait. Thanks for the input guys

---------- Post added at 8:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:30 PM ----------

I agree I like the xxl and the savage both have there advantage and disadvantges but I have been happy with both trucks and they both are pretty tough trucks. hopfully I can add the mgt to the fleet by summer time but I think if I buy another one anytime soon my girlfriend isn't going to be very happy considering her office/computer room has turned it a nitro truck workshop. lol gotta love it

decided to get another xxl seeing it was brand new in the box and I have a bunch off spare parts

That's a sensible approach. Always a tough call; variety versus parts commonality. One reason why I was always so drawn to Associated 1/10 scale; the RC10 buggy, 10T and GT share so many parts. Even the TC3/NTC3 shares parts with the others.

The MGT is a very cool truck, though. They seem more stable/nimble than the other MTs, save for the Revo.

I've owned a mgt 8.0 in my experience I did like the truck but I put it though the same stuff as my savage and it did not hold up as well. It needs some work. I only had it a few months and broke a few axle's and dog bone pins. I had problems with the throttle servo so I up graded it.as for jumping it's not really a good truck to be jumping well maybe if you would do some suspension work to it that may help I never got that far with it. The motor I never had any issue's with it. But all in all if I had the chance to pick up another I would for the right price. It did run pretty good to me. I think it depends on how you would use it. As for the xxl I never had one.

Back