Mamba problem.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalib

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What up guys I seem to be having issues with my MM system. I'm running the 2200kv system in a buggy on 4s. Problem is that the after about ten minutes the motor appears to be "sticking" that's the best way I can describe it. If I push the car with my hand it rolls fine so I assume that all the drive train and diffs are good. If I pick the car off the ground and hit the throttle it spins fine. only when I put it on the ground and try to accelerate does it seem to stick. It just shudders and makes a weird noise but doesn't move. I check the motor and it was kinda hot so I'm letting it cool down. Has this ever happened to anyone and can some body tell me whats going on. BTW I'm running a 20t pinion. Thanks

It has something to do with the Magnets and Timing. Magnets lose there magnetization when they get very hot. The Outside of an Inrunner motor will be hot when the rotor on the inside maybe extremely hot. This is a 4 Pole motor Correct?? You may try running the timing less than 12.5 Degrees. Most ESC have this option. It will run Cooler and little bit more Torque.

What you're describing sounds like cogging but its hard to say without knowing what buggy and how many teeth the spur gear has also. It could have been that you overheated your motor, that is possible but generally if you got it hot enough to demagnetize it then youve probably permanently damaged the motor. Did you happen to take a temp reading of the motor? Was it hot enough that you couldnt touch it for more than 1 second? Was it so hot you thought it was gonna burn you? Is it working now that its cooled down? Do you have another motor you can try with that esc or another esc you can try with that motor? Sorry but I need more info to even start taking educated guesses. If its still doing it then taking a quick video so we can see and hear what its doing would probably also help.

What you're describing sounds like cogging but its hard to say without knowing what buggy and how many teeth the spur gear has also. It could have been that you overheated your motor, that is possible but generally if you got it hot enough to demagnetize it then youve probably permanently damaged the motor. Did you happen to take a temp reading of the motor? Was it hot enough that you couldnt touch it for more than 1 second? Was it so hot you thought it was gonna burn you? Is it working now that its cooled down? Do you have another motor you can try with that esc or another esc you can try with that motor? Sorry but I need more info to even start taking educated guesses. If its still doing it then taking a quick video so we can see and hear what its doing would probably also help.
The buggy is a duratrax 835e. The spur is a 46t steel mod1. Didn't have a temp gun but the motor was so hot that I could not touch it for more than one second, and yeah when it cooled down it worked again. I've been running this set up since I got it (about 3 months) and never had this issue. Any advice would be great. I hope I haven't damaged the system cause it aint cheap as I'm sure you already know.

I'd add a tooth or two to the pinion to help with the temp issue. You might also want to look for a heatsink or heatsink/fan combo.

Okay soooo smaller pinion? Larger spur? Larger pinion? Definitely going to get a heatsink/fan though.

I think you've got that backwards. Less on the pinion, less heat. More on the spur, same deal.
You're right. It's AWESOME that you caught my mistake. Been sniffing Carnuba wax while polishing the Curries...

You're right. It's AWESOME that you caught my mistake. Been sniffing Carnuba wax while polishing the Curries...
I'll tell you what's AWESOME. It's MY ability to ban your ass.
Banhammer.gif

smaller pinion or larger spur will fix your problem

Thanks Guys!!

I I also have and 10 scale hpi sprint - and I want to get the car up to about 70 to 75 mile an hour is this possible with a 15 turn hpi stock motor can somebody please help me out with this I want to use the stock motor I just need to change thepinion ipossible spur gear

I I also have and 10 scale hpi sprint - and I want to get the car up to about 70 to 75 mile an hour is this possible with a 15 turn hpi stock motor can somebody please help me out with this I want to use the stock motor I just need to change thepinion ipossible spur gear
You need to create your own thread for this question but no it wont be possible with stock electronics.