LST2-E report

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok Sur3Fir3 and I have been IMing back and forth about gearing setups and what-not so I went out today to find out the answer if the Tekin 1550kv could run 63/34 without over heating. Well heres what I found out including a couple of other things :)

Ok I ran a whole pack through on 63/34 with the battery tray up front. Used a gensacearespammers 5300 4S 30C pack and a 2S Pack in series to see if the 30C would push the amps or not. In the end the hotest I saw the motor get was 121F and that was only after running it really hard for several minutes. I mean just WOT pass after WOT pass for 3 or 4 minutes straight.....regular bashing the temps stayed between 100F and 115F for the most part. Now bear in mind that it was only 62F out today. In the middle of the summer it will run hotter but I think it will still be ok. I could still make it wheelie but I really had to make it wheelie....under normal acceleration it didnt want to stand up on its own like it did before when the batteries were in the back with the motor.

The 30C lipos were 118F after the run was completed which is a little bit warmer than I like to see my lipos but I'm fairly certain that 118 isnt enough to damage a lipo. I believe 30Cs would be fine in this set up but I would feel more comfortable with 40C or higher. One thing I discovered is that when you run lipos in series they not only need to be the same mAh and C rating but also the same cell count. I've run a 4S/2S series twice now and both times the 4S pack was over discharged. This time it went all the way down to 2.3V/C before dying. The LVC never did kick in I guess because the 2S pack was still at almost 3.4V/C). The first time I had the same thing happen to me it was using a 4S lipo that had the positive lead break off and I had soldered it back on. At the time I thought the 4S pack puffed because i didnt repair it properly but now I see that wasn't the case. So if anyone else wasn't already aware of this little issue with running packs in series I thought Id better throw it out there.

Btw, if you upgrade your turnbuckles to Lunsford titanium ones and your steering knuckles to aluminum then aparently you start braking shock towers....lol First shock tower I've broken on mine....guess I need aluminum ones.

Last edited:
My house is being setup monday so I doubt I will have any time to run my rc, but I will have it fixed tomorrow. I will put on my 34T pinion and test the setup with my 2 3s 50c 5000 MaH venom packs and see how that affects the temp. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this gw :).

Last edited:
Can I ask how your shock tower broke (which portion broke)? Curious as I'm still trying to reinforce every weak area I could find.

Heres some pics. The first two are of the broken shock tower. i wedged my OFNA tool in there to seperate the breaks so you could more easily see where it is broken. The other two pics are showing the new front battery tray set up and the 63/34 gearing. I much prefer the battery tray in the front but it would have been easier to buy a TEKNO V3 or V4 battery tray and just drill 4 holes through the chassis plate. If I was going to do it all over again thats the route I would go. I also had to dremel out the motor mount holes in order to make the 34T pinion fit and I dont recommend anyone use the Losi motor mount with anything much bigger than a 29 or maybe 30T pinion. I'm probably gonna have to cut the Losi motor mount off to get to the grub screw on my 34T pinion. It wouldnt line up unless I tapped the pinion down inside of the motor mount a little ways in order to get everything to line up properly. Sur3Fir3 could tell you for sure but I believe The Dude's Racing motor mount will work without nearly as much hassle for bigger pinions.

Sorry the kit is filthy...I was bashing from about 1pm literally until dusk and I was to worn out to do much of anything accept manditory maintainance on the nitro kits and lipos.

21891_532211300124995_571498809_n.jpg

382123_532211196791672_1578350443_n.jpg

533866_532211326791659_2055990219_n.jpg

67627_532211320124993_1054214862_n.jpg

Last edited:
heres some data

Well I spent today waiting on the install people to setup my house, so in the meant time I ran the E-LST2. I am currently running on short grass in my yard. I was able to the get E-LST2 up to 29mph before it wheelied and blew over. It started doing this after I modified the start and end RPMS in the timing menu. I did some research and found that the smaller the rpm window is the higher your power gain is. I set mine at 9k-25k and I have to say I noticed a difference, in both performance and heat. when it was ran at 500/20k there wasn't as much heat, but the heat difference wasn't even enough to get the motor fully warm at 29/63 gearing. Next week I am thinking of putting on the 34T and see if that will tame down the wheelies far enough to where I can do some real speed runs. if its hitting almost 30 at 3/4 throttle I can't wait to see what it can do at a sustained full throttle.

I do have one question.. how do you guys keep your wheels on? I have one that th enut keeps coming off, its not stripped or anything.. its in perfect working order.

I really wanted to stay away from loctite on those, as I change my tires like women change their shoes. Was hoping there is an alternative.

Gotta use loctite on em. If you're using blue you can can take em off and redo them as many times as you want...it wont hurt anything. In my LST2-E runnign videos I have I'm running with a 3K RPM min and a 40K RPM max. Just for comparison.