Looking for a good air compressor to clean my Nitro's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I am looking to pick up an air compressor and was wondering it the one I was looking at was going to work or not. I am not getting it to specifically blow clean the nitros, also for inflating tires, basketballs, footballs and such. Also be able to use for nailers or 3/8 airwrench. Basically an all around compressor that is portable. I am looking at the craftsman 3 gallon compressor. I think it 125 PSI but stays constant around 90psi. It is $90 at Sears on sale until Sunday. Was wondering if this will work or not. Hoping four your opinion. Thanks

Tom

I think I know what you are talking about but not sure. If you get a high powered air compressor, I dont think it would allow you to pump up basketballs and stuff. I have an air compressor, but it is for pumping up bike and car tires, and basketballs, footballs...It does not have like a just plain out air blowing feature to blow off my car.

redhatman said:
I think I know what you are talking about but not sure. If you get a high powered air compressor, I dont think it would allow you to pump up basketballs and stuff. I have an air compressor, but it is for pumping up bike and car tires, and basketballs, footballs...It does not have like a just plain out air blowing feature to blow off my car.

Well the main function will be just keeping the 1:1 tires properly inflated, Jetski trailer tires, blowing off the nitros's, and also have to capabiltiy to run a nailer... planning on re building my side porch. The basketballs and stuff are not important.... Thanks man.

Tom

yea, but I was saying for like even pumping up tires. You would need an attachment that hooks onto the nozzle of the sprayer, that would allow you to pump up tires...

redhatman said:
yea, but I was saying for like even pumping up tires. You would need an attachment that hooks onto the nozzle of the sprayer, that would allow you to pump up tires...

According to Sears website it comes with like 17 attachtments including the blow nozzle. I have never bought a compressor before and just want to make sure I am not wasting my money. I just thought I would buy something that would not only work for cleaning my nitros, but also serve a dual purpose. You know? I hate to buy something that is not versitale if I can help it. Thanks guys.

Tom

that's an ok compressor.....Harbor freight tools has one for 90 bucks right now that's pretty nice.....6 or 8 gallon dual tank and a faster compressor too....don't know about attachments but you usually end up throwing the gimme ones away pretty quick.....

Plaidfish said:
that's an ok compressor.....Harbor freight tools has one for 90 bucks right now that's pretty nice.....6 or 8 gallon dual tank and a faster compressor too....don't know about attachments but you usually end up throwing the gimme ones away pretty quick.....

Is it portable enough to take to the track? Is it gas or electric? I will see if I can hit the net to find this bad boy. Thanks Plaid.... I just don't want to make an unwise purchace. Thanks Plaid

Tom

045564589103_4.jpg
heres one at the homdepot its the one i will be getting shortly 4 gallon, 135 psi, comes with 25ft hose, air chuck, all that good stuff and its oil less i think, its $147.00 tho so idk

electric and semi portable...I don't know what most people consider portable....I have a pick up and carry about 100lbs of pit area in 1 box and 1 bag.....most people don't think my set up is very portable but I can carry it al in one trip.....that will change when i get my compressor....right now I just have a 150 gallon 220V shop one and it's in my pops shop......I need one for the track....sucks cause I gave away a 35gallon craftsman before I moved thinking what do i need the little one for when I have the big bad mofo......

Are you thinking of running an airbrush too? If so you may want to consider a bigger tank.

sears had a 7 gal on wheels for $170 but not sure if they still do.. it would be perfect.. and yes it will do tires, balls, bikes, you just have to get quick connect ends for all the attachments.. some (like the one you pictured) have a regulator built in so you could even airbrush and stuff wit the right attachment.. nail gun should be no problem but with only 4 gal you man have to go slow with it to let the pump catch up.. if you can find a bigger tank that would be better..

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916724000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916644000

these two look good.. a bit spendy but there craftsman so you get the lifetime warrenty..big enough to do most anything in a normal garage.. but they got wheels so you can throw it in the back of the truck and take it to the track..

jetmechG550 said:
Are you thinking of running an airbrush too? If so you may want to consider a bigger tank.

is thAT ONE DIRECTED AT ME??? oops....funny guy....bigger tank.....
I just got a new regulator and a second water separator to run an airbrush and have controls at my work bench.....I bought a cheapo airbrush to see if I like it...I saw one for 10 bucks NIP at the flea market sunday......and the guy had no clue what the regulator / separator was so I got it for 5....love the garbage sale section at the market.......

For $15-20 you can get a portable tank. I picked one up for $16, 7 gallon. I fill it up with the compressor in the garage and take it to the track...works great....very portable.

Mr T

do you have a regulator on it?
what pressure do you set it for?
I have a few of those tanks laying around

biggest deal, is check the required CFM of the highest usage tool you want to power with it. if the pump doesn't match this, its too small for the job you want to do. say you want to use an impact gun, and just for examples sake, it requires 2.0 cfm at 90psi. and if you choose a tank that only puts out 1.5cfm at 90psi you will find yourself waiting for the tank to repressurize oftem while using that tool. if the compressor can produce 2.5cfm at 90psi, you can run that tool all day long and never have to worry about air supply. beyond that, choose something thats portable with the biggest tank possible. because when you use the air gun, you will run it low, and the more volume you have, the longer your cleaning sessions will be.

CorradoPsi said:
biggest deal, is check the required CFM of the highest usage tool you want to power with it. if the pump doesn't match this, its too small for the job you want to do. say you want to use an impact gun, and just for examples sake, it requires 2.0 cfm at 90psi. and if you choose a tank that only puts out 1.5cfm at 90psi you will find yourself waiting for the tank to repressurize oftem while using that tool. if the compressor can produce 2.5cfm at 90psi, you can run that tool all day long and never have to worry about air supply. beyond that, choose something thats portable with the biggest tank possible. because when you use the air gun, you will run it low, and the more volume you have, the longer your cleaning sessions will be.

bingo ...great definative explanation!!

i have the same thing from sears and its good if ur just using to clean rcs.i could have got the bigger one tho so ican paint the house siding this summer :)

Plaidfish said:
do you have a regulator on it?
what pressure do you set it for?
I have a few of those tanks laying around

No, no regulator...I beleive it will hold 125 PSI...To do a good cleaning 7 gallons is not enough, but for quickies between heats and for blasting out around the glow plug it's great!

Mr T

Back