Liquid Cooled Nitro Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Over the time I've been here I've seen several threads debating if you can liquid cool your nitro engine. Well thumbing through the April Xtreme RC magazine I came across this ad. Apparently someone thinks it's a good idea.

liquidcoolednitro.JPG

I think it's strictly a bling thing. No fins on the engine, and coolant through a radiator. Cool the engine with air or cool the radiator with air, I don't see a difference. One more thing to leak or cause a problem.
Definitely LOOKS seriously cool.

Check out their beautiful animated CAD assembly:

http://www.youtube.com/grossiengines

Last edited:
If the fins were actually large enough to dissipate heat that would be one thing. Personally it looks like a heat sink to me...

For a radiator to work, the water must flow through it internally while air flows across it externally so my question is how are they pumping the liquid through the radiator?

I agree with Rolex,it looks COOL. I'll bet replacing a damaged radiator isn't cheap.

Reading what I can from your mag scan, it would seem that it has a rotary valve intake. Without a pump, it would only be stagnant fluid.

Yeah - Magnetic Rotary Valve System. I'd like to see what that's about.

Did you notice the external Idle Screw? On the top of the throttle arm and seats on the carb body.

Last edited:
I wonder if it works like my aquarium filters do. Basically the impeller is inside a magnet and the electrical field makes the impeller turn. But that would require a power source. I am confused...

Here's a computer modeled assembly vid and a buggy running one. Sound didn't work for me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... I was starting to think the crank also pumped the fluid. But it appears that isn't the case...

Tune looks nice on the buggy. Wish they would have shown temps at the head and at the radiator.

I guess the magnets create an electrical field using the rotation of the crank. Still, where is the pump???

Props to those who invented this, but I think it's ridiculous.:snooty:

Liquid cooled nitro engines have been around for years. They have been mainly used in boats. It's a cool idea if it works.....

Cool looking, beautiful CAD work, but ranks right up there with the little superchargers IMHO until I see some hard data from an unbiased source. And all for the bargain price of roughly $900 USD.

Priced way out of anyone's league. I don't think the radiator would be that expensive since it's only stamped thin aluminum stacked on tubes. The vid is the same link I posted earlier, and you can see the assembly.
I'm pretty sure it works with the same principle as the aquarium water pumps, so look for something extra being mounted on the crank.

technically, our "air cooled" nitro engines are already liquid cooled.
Because of the extremely high evaporation rate of nitro methane, and due to the
extremely large volume of fuel consumed within a given time period, the fuel itself
does a load of cooling before it's ignited.
That's also how a top fuel dragster making 6000-7000 horsepower is able to do it's
burnout, then alot of idle time, and a quater mile run without a liquid
cooling system.

The benefit needs to be worth the complication for this to be efficient. If the engine makes so much power and gets sooo hot that it requires liquid cooling then great. However, years and years of r/c engine design have proven that these mills can run just fine being air cooled. Now if there is something that prohibits or interferes with that process then it makes sense (such as boats), but unless the engine itself is capable of overheating due to extreme performance then there is really no reason for it. It's a case of doing it just to do it because the concept is cool. However, if the concept has no justified place in reality there is no advantage.

I definately like to see people do creative things like putting a water cooled boat engine on a buggy but if you are adding weight without adding HP you are wasting time.

You can't put a boat engine on a buggy since the cooling is done by water intakes as the boat moves forward. They do not use pumps.
Here's a still shot from the video of the rotary pump assembly on the crank.

valve.gif

hi this isnt about this engine but does anybody know if the hyper .21 pro 8 port turbo chare thingy is any good ??

This is a really bulky engine looks heavy and more parts= more chance for filure which Means more money needs to be spent intern meaning no gain it would be great for a shelf queen though:p:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back