Killer RC Nitro Kill Switch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
KillerRC will be coming out with a Nitro Kill Switch.

This is the same guy that makes the 5th Scale Kill Switches.

Coming Soon. The Killer RC nitro kill switch will automatically stop the fuel flow to your nitro engine during: radio glitch/signal loss, low battery, cut wires, or total battery power loss. You can also kill the engine any time you want by pressing the Aux button on your transmitter, or turning off the transmitter power button. No more plugging the exhaust, jamming up the flywheel, or pinching the fuel hose. The Killer RC nitro kill switch will be available late this Summer.

http://www.killerrc.com/products/products/nitro_killswitch.php

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvDl0feOA2I"]YouTube- Killer RC nitro kill switch[/ame]

Last edited:
any idea how it works? similar to those buttons that stop the engine?

I want to know how it works too. Something contacting the flywheel maybe? My first thought was it pinched the fuel line a or an exhaust plug then he mentioned no need for those. Since it's a glow engine and not an electrical spark ignition,the flywheel thing all that comes to mind.

I added a link to his site as well as his description.

From the sounds of the engine, it seems like he's actually killing fuel flow with a solenoid in the fuel line. Pretty cool concept. Would also help you out if you had a throttle servo wig out on you. Kill the transmitter power and the solenoid kills the fuel flow. I've had that happen a few times... stupid water damage!

From the sounds of the engine, it seems like he's actually killing fuel flow with a solenoid in the fuel line. Pretty cool concept. Would also help you out if you had a throttle servo wig out on you. Kill the transmitter power and the solenoid kills the fuel flow. I've had that happen a few times... stupid water damage!

Sounds like a very smart way of doing it. By default a solenoid is shut, it needs juice to open so if it doesn't drain too much from the battery would be a great addition. It would have to be tuned so that the point the solenoid shuts is slightly above the required battery power for the radio to work.

With larger hump packs being used in nitro cars even a little drain on the battery would be acceptable.

Not sure how it works for 100% but I am sure it will get cloned before too long. I figured out how to make the 1/5 scale kill switch from a micro on/off picco. I am sure I could figure out how to rig up my own....as long as Duct tape is involved...we can make it work...lol.

IMO

The system is more than likely pinching or closing in some manner the exhaust line, NOT the fuel line.

When you pinch the fuel line you create a lean condition which generally causes the revs to spike before shutdown. However, when you cover the exhaust the engine generally shuts down instantly due to insufficient exhaust flow which stalls the mill. From the video this is what I think is happening. Just my :2cents:

[edit]

OH nevermind. I didn't realize he mentioned that it doesn't pinch any lines.

Well let's see... how many ways are there to disturb the running of an engine?

Fuel Flow
Air Flow
Exhaust Flow
Mechanical resistance

1 and 3 are out since he basically said so and 2 would also create the lean, rev-up sound before shutdown. I'm gonna go with resistance to the flywheel. It could essentially be a failsafe that directs a third servo to engage a mechanism to contact the flywheel upon signal loss, or the servo can be engaged manually using the Tx.

Last edited:
Coming Soon. The Killer RC nitro kill switch will automatically stop the fuel flow to your nitro engine during: radio glitch/signal loss, low battery, cut wires, or total battery power loss. i didnt hear that engine rev up at all like it normally does....unless he ran that thing rich to the extreme.

it is NOT hitting the flywheel tho, because this stops the engine dead, and you can hear it bog-down before it kills itself

Haha! I never actually read the first post. Rob, is that a direct quote from the MFR?

Last edited:
The way I read it is a person doesn't need to pinch the fuel line, plug the exhaust or jam the flywheel....it doesn't say that the kill switch won't do one of those things.

The ad says "The Killer RC nitro kill switch will automatically stop the fuel flow to your nitro engine". Maybe simple open/close valve controlled by a servo???

All I know is that the mill doesn't sound like it's fuel line is getting shut off. That's my stance and I'm stickin' to it :D

No thanks. My collection is nearly on par with Ralphs these days. If I do not start them why would I need to shut them off?
:)

Next thing you'll tell us is that your wife is buying you a bottle of wax for your birthday instead of the crown :whhooo:

Hello. I'm the owner of Killer Rc.
The nitro kill switch is about the size of your thumb and it goes inline with the fuel hose. It has a small circuit board and computer chip that controls when the valve opens and closes. All the parts are custom made specifically for this application, especially the valve. It uses very little battery power. It will work with about 95% of radios out there. We will even have a version that can work with 2ch radios, where you don't have any Aux channels to spare. It will retail under $80.

Welcome to the site Kent.

Thanks for joining up and answering questions from the guys.

Back