Keep stripping gears!! ARGH!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have the HPI 18ss mill and keep stripping gears. The first geat 47 tooth stripped because of a loose motor mount that was fixed and the next day the second gear 43 stripped twice. What can be the problem?

The mesh on it is so perfect. Nice and smooth. The first pinion gear is brand new, the second gear is pretty new. Should i go with a lower gear ration maybe 44-39. Or am i just dong something totally wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

Is everything shimmed correctly? and are you having problems shifting into gear...sounds odd enough, but if you assemble you two speed incorrectly (i.e backwards) you'll end up stipping gears. First check that your clutchbell doesn't have too much play, then try the latter. hope that helps :)

There definitely is no play with the clutchbell, and the two speed engages pretty good for about 3/4 of a tank then the second gear strips.

Shimming is the whashers, am i correct?

There's really only a few reasons a gear will strip.

Mesh
messed up teeth
dirt or little rocks up in the gears.

I always set my mesh with the first gear spur removed, that way I always get my second gear mesh just right and then install the first gear spur.

I was going through 2nd gear spurs on my XR80 like crazy till I started setting the mesh that way.

Back