JPM to NASCAR? WTF??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmechG550

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Juan Pablo but I can't believe he's downgrading himself to NASCAR. I really expected him to run the Renault that Fred is leaving. After Indy, I'm sure Ron Dennis and the rest of McClaren Mercedes got tired of seeing him take out Kimi his own teammate. Hearing he called Chip asking for the ride (#42). Wierd!?!?!?!?

Well now we will see if a F1 driver can handle a nascar.

Downgrade? Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Did you see the interview with him during today's race? He said he called Chip a week ago and he gave him the seat that day. And JPM said one of the biggest things that attracted him to NASCAR was the closeness of the racing. I guess it would get kinda boring when the leader's already posted a 30 second lead 5 laps into the race. I like F1, but for the most part the races are won or lost in qualifying and the pits.
My only question would be what will McLaren do next year if Kimmi goes to Ferrari? That's 2 empty seats....

I'm with C-Man on this one.

In a pure engineering sense....F1 is the king.

But it's also the equivalent of watching grass grow!

If he is lowering himself then I expect him to win the Championship 3-4 years in a row.

Don't get me wrong I think watching NASCAR is the equivalent to watching grass grow....but at least it has a little fertilizer.

:2cents:

Mr T

Downgrade would be the money aspect of it. Aside from technology, the money involved in F1 is astronomical and even a poopy F1 driver can make close to what a top NASCAR will make in a season, plus it's only half the races. Salaries are kept close to the vest but it's been speculated that stroke off Villenueve makes like $20 million/year and he hasn't done anything since he won the world championship in 97.

I don't think we'll see Kimi moving next year unless there's a huge upset in the points and Schumi wins #8 this year.

BTW, I did not see the Cup race today, I gather he was there? Also remember the Trading Paint thing from a couple years ago where Gordo and Gordon traded cars here at Indy, JPM did pretty good in a car with fenders.

I'm sorry, and dont mean to offend nascar fans, but I've always considered the F1 more of the "Elites" as well. To me Nascar drivers have always seemed.. I dunno the word to describe it.. Maybe rugged? Or more loose? To me the F1's seem more tight knit and better drivers. Maybe because Nascar doesn't have any turns besides going left/right a whole race.

Just like candyman said..F1 races are won off the pole..Or with in 15 minuets of the start..What fun is that?Watching a race knowing who is going to win..
Nascar any thing can happen.
Hell the 42nd place car can win a race..

ZANDOR said:
Hell the 42nd place car can win a race..

And if their at a super speedway that can happen in a few laps LOL.

I'm also anxious to see what an F1 driver can do with a nextel cup car....I think he'll spend more time in the wall/grass and trailer than on the track....less power, less grip, more weight, bumper to bumper and side x side = a very fast trip into the wall.

Valid points guys.
I've been to many an F1 grand prix and I've also watched a NASCAR event at the Talladega Super Speedway and from a spectator point of view, NASCAR cannot be beaten.
Another thing is the attitudes of drivers. F1 drivers rarely interact with the spectators. The F1 teams are super secretive and the teams' garages are no go areas. The sport may be strides ahead technologically, but it lacks pure charisma to be honest.
F1 as a sport is the victim of its own success. The paychecks are too high, the sport itself is overvalued and there is way too much internal politics. The entire 2005 Indy / Michelin fiasco is a prime example.
It needs to be more of a level playing field.

As for JPM, I recall when he joined F1 he was "the man to beat Schumacher". Well it never happened and whenever there's an incident involving JPM it's "never JPM's fault"
At least in NASCAR JPM will have an excuse to do some rubbing!

jetmechG550 said:
BTW, I did not see the Cup race today, I gather he was there? Also remember the Trading Paint thing from a couple years ago where Gordo and Gordon traded cars here at Indy, JPM did pretty good in a car with fenders.

I remember that too, If I remember correctly they both did pretty well, but they weren't racing just riding.

BTW they did have a cup race today and the 24 did pretty good with a 1st place finish :hehe: , but you would have said he cheated LOL

Just for the record, I do completely respect F1 and their drivers. Their cars are lightyears ahead of any other racing machine on the planet. And yes, they make ungodly sums of money. I will certainly continue to watch the races. But none of them ever give me butterflies in my stomach with 5 laps to go.
And I am beginning to see an interesting thing here. Jet, you brought up Tradin' Paint. Well, Jeff Gordon was at the USGP. And SPEED interviewed him. It's funny because he said that if he were offered the right deal at the right time, he'd consider running some F1 races. And now with JPM making the switch, I wonder if Gordon is trying to work it the other way.... Hmmmm... I think an F1 ride would look good with DuPont flames all over it!

It will be hard to go from one to the other. They only have 4 wheels in common!!! Its comparing apples and grapes. Some racers can go from one "class" to another,that Stewart guy has done kinda well. Many other open weels racers have not done as well.

Personally, I can't watch either anymore....for all the reasons stated. Go fast,turn left, whoopeee.

Candyman said:
I wonder if Gordon is trying to work it the other way.... Hmmmm... I think an F1 ride would look good with DuPont flames all over it!

That would suck, don't even joke about that!

JPM is going to NASCAR I think for a couple of reasons. One, it is something different for him. Two, NASCAR is more popular in the State's than F1 racing. Not to say that F1 is boring or anything. It just never really caught on like NASCAR has. The competition is a little closer and you have a chance to win all the way to the checkered flag. Now granted the racing is a bit easier than F1 but I think JPM is just looking for a challenge. I am quite sure it is not for the money.

Tom

I can watch F1 anyday (whenever I see it on while flippin through the channels), but I've tried to watch Nascar many times and I can only watch about 7-10 laps of it before getting bored. I just can't get into it. I don't know why, but its probably because its the same exact thing (to me) for 500 laps. If there was a way to watch only the last 3 laps, that would be good for me.

Buggyracer28 said:
I can watch F1 anyday (whenever I see it on while flippin through the channels), but I've tried to watch Nascar many times and I can only watch about 7-10 laps of it before getting bored. I just can't get into it. I don't know why, but its probably because its the same exact thing (to me) for 500 laps. If there was a way to watch only the last 3 laps, that would be good for me.

NASCAR is one sport you either love or love to hate. There is really no in-between.

Tom

Back