J’s Dirty 30 north truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much in dire need of that intake manifold, and finish mounting the exhaust, I need a little spacer or something to get the supplied bracket to line up just right. Also need a countersunk screw to come up through the bottom of the chassis. Now for some stickers!
IMG_5091.jpeg
IMG_5092.jpeg

I got the spiral diaphragm kit for the walbro 1191, it’s a better diaphragm, holds up to ethanol gas, just in case the pumps lie or don’t say.
I don’t know yet where I will be getting the gas to make a fuel mix. Back in the day we never ran our Yamaha YZ80 on any race grade gas and that thing still kills it.
View attachment 185616

It really is pretty. I’m not a guy that goes crazy over billet or has to have it, but this thing was better looking than most. I wanted a bigger engine but not taylorRC price. I didn’t want to be let down by the 29cc engine. I got a roller, but there is a version where the truck comes with the 38.
Yeah TaylorRC is very spendy but high quality engines. Way too much for my wallet.

Stickers won’t stick to the body so I’ll take a heat gun to it and let the plastic smooth out. It won’t take long, and it won’t take long to F it all up either. View attachment 185860
Spray a coat of matte clear on it. Much safer 😉

Heat will likely make the plastic more brittle.

I’m wondering how well paint will hold up, I did paint a few things…..
At least with matte clear, if it scratches, you're not going to notice it so much. And it should give your decals a surface to adhere to.

Maybe I’ll try that
I mean regular paint will work as well. It's going to get scratches, whether painted or not. If you want to paint it, Krylon has a paint suitable for plastics that is pretty good stuff. You can also coat that with clear for added protection.

I mean regular paint will work as well. It's going to get scratches, whether painted or not. If you want to paint it, Krylon has a paint suitable for plastics that is pretty good stuff. You can also coat that with clear for added protection.
this is purely a science experiment painting these body panels at this point. I’m confident the paint will scratch, I would just like to see some color right before the first run. You have to do one good photo shoot in its “clean, never ran” state.

I decided I would wrap the pipe. I’m not too disappointed in how it came out, I think the width of the wrap worked against me. I need a narrower size for this shape, header wrap works great on consistent tubing but doesn’t quite do expansion chambers too well.
IMG_5096.jpeg

Mounting the pipe was….. still not sure if I have it right but it’s tight for now. I’m thinking of doing a hex head bolt inside the pipe bracket instead of the Allen head…..now I’m looking at the picture and don’t remember tightening that one.
IMG_5095.jpeg

brap brap brap, looks great.

Well, the intake came, I installed it, the carb, and air filter. I set up my servo endpoints and all that stuff and filled it with a 50:1 mix. It took a bit to get it to idle on its own, but once warmed up I just sent it........or at least I tried, I think the clutch stopped engaging for some reason literally 20 seconds in. The engine would just bog down when I tried to take off, even up on blocks I couldn't get the wheels to spin either. The 38cc came with an 8000rpm clutch spring so Id imagine at that rpm you have to "launch" this thing to not fry the clutch. I read about a fellow large scaler that fried his by putting around his yard on the first run.
I took the motor out and everything spins freely, the car rolls on the ground just fine with the motor in, the motor turns over easily. something is up with the clutch and I wonder if this 38cc engine has the clutch plate that should be used on a baja type application...?

:D It was just a bit lean!
After tearing it apart and inspecting everything I saw nothing wrong and everything had clearance and moved freely. getting it to idle was a pain, but as I enriched the circuit, the idle got better. I used the factory settings at first and they were way lean. The instructions for the engine say not to tune just get it to idle and drive it slow.
Beat it n seat it!
Once it got more fuel it was happy. We realized our backyard is too small for this thing to roam. I hope it will fit on the track we build behind the house this year.
Anyway this truck is on a whole new level.