is this a wheel issue or a servo issue?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majin

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder

i have rc4wd beadlock rims, with wheel weights wrapped around the center barrel,
90% of the time when i pick it up from the rear of the truck the front tires will wiggle. the servo starts going back and forth like crazy. i only NOTICE it when its in the air. is it doing this while its resting on the ground as well and its just not visible? is my servo going crazy? ( new one on the way, but if this is damaging or wearing out the servo id like to fix it before i install a enw one)
do i have water in wheels I'm not aware of? i dont see of hear any bubbles when I'm in water.

Any chance your Rx has a built in gyro?

Here's an example:

DUMBORC-X6 2.4Ghz 6 Channel RC Transmitter with Receiver Low Power Alarm and Out of Control Protection RC Radio Controller for Remote Car/Boat/Tank Mixed Mode Remote Controller (Without GYRO)…​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVQY61T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
negative, it specifically says without.

it really does act like that tho after watcfhing the video, it doesn't stop when it stops or starts back again often.

I would have bet it was the gyro, but if you say there isn't one... it's gotta be the servo.
Are you absolutely positive there's no gyro? :)

Wiggle the receiver antenna and see if it does it. Do the same with the wires going into the receiver and servo. It is possibly something getting a bad connection.

You have other RC's. Try plugging a different servo in and see if it still does it. If your servo cable is long enough, you won't even have to remove it from the other car.

Last edited:
I would have bet it was the gyro, but if you say there isn't one... it's gotta be the servo.
Are you absolutely positive there's no gyro? :)
unless they sent me the wrong model in the wrong box, its sold as without gyro. the with gyro one is more expensive. made a better video to help diagnose

If there's no gyro, then I would double check all the connectors, press each servo connector firmly into the Rx and make sure nothing is loose.

It might be a bad servo or bad Rx, if you didn't set your end points on the steering and overloaded the servo, you may have cooked either the servo or the BEC possibly... these are all just guesses...

I would test if you could like @WickedFog mentioned. That would be the easiest in the process of elimination.

Looks like you also have the ess one sound system. Have you tried disconnecting it to see if that stops the servo jitters? It could be causing issues with your radio system.

If there's no gyro, then I would double check all the connectors, press each servo connector firmly into the Rx and make sure nothing is loose.

It might be a bad servo or bad Rx, if you didn't set your end points on the steering and overloaded the servo, you may have cooked either the servo or the BEC possibly... these are all just guesses...

I would test if you could like @WickedFog mentioned. That would be the easiest in the process of elimination.

Looks like you also have the ess one sound system. Have you tried disconnecting it to see if that stops the servo jitters? It could be causing issues with your radio system.
i have not tried that yet ill give it a try
it did not affect it, tried without the ess still twitchy, i havent had a chance to swap out servo to another car ill do that after work today

so.... i swapped out the servo as i was waiting on this new one in the mail. got a hobystar hcs4521
433589028_777476367224786_8487716815270249899_n.jpg
lifted the ecto like 40 times, no wiggle no jiggle not even a giggle. so apparently it was a servo issue.
fun stuff tho, since it was disconected i hooked it up to 2 differrent cars and nothing. not even a twitch? i had gas but no turn. making me thing there was something wrong with the servo after all.

so.... i swapped out the servo as i was waiting on this new one in the mail. got a hobystar hcs4521 View attachment 185402 lifted the ecto like 40 times, no wiggle no jiggle not even a giggle. so apparently it was a servo issue.
fun stuff tho, since it was disconected i hooked it up to 2 differrent cars and nothing. not even a twitch? i had gas but no turn. making me thing there was something wrong with the servo after all.
Probably got burnt up. Did it get wet?

ic, i was fooled into believing they didnt mind it by the videos. classic John smh....
ill avoid water for now... gotta take it to the hobby shop soon as i can to help me get this stripped screw out, once I'm able tyo remove the servo horn ill pack it full of marine grease before we go swimming again

Conformal coating is the easiest way to protect the electronics in them. You can get it in a spray or a brush on type.

Conformal coating is the easiest way to protect the electronics in them. You can get it in a spray or a brush on type.
i couldnt find it in my area, i settled for liquid tape, its thick and gooey but allegedly works the same, just can't SEE the stuff after I've coated it lol

Just yesterday, as I was carrying my trx back down (see pic), I noticed it did the same thing as yours as it swung around in my hand. The servo does have a lot of play in all directions and I suspect the potentiometer is worn too. Time for a new one just like you I guess. :)

20240319_121045.jpg

Back