i need clutch help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losi4life69

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
having problem installing lrp.30 on a losi lst xxl

i have a losi lst xxl i just got the lrp.30 i got the losi spin start to work but i can not get the clutch bell to spin freely could some one help me to get this going if any body had a lrp.30 on this truck thats are i need to get this going

Last edited:
What's binding the clutch bell? Is the clutch bell hitting the flywheel?

I have LST XXL and LRP 30x too. Haven't had that problem when I installed my engine

You might have a bad bearing, bad springs on the shoes or you might need a shim. You need to remove it and tell us what you find.

help

What's binding the clutch bell? Is the clutch bell hitting the flywheel?

I have LST XXL and LRP 30x too. Haven't had that problem when I installed my engine

ok i have the collet on do i use the one from the 454 and the clutch bell and fly wheel

i put the collet on then the flywheel the the nut, clutch shoes , bearing clutch bell and the screw in and its tight

---------- Post added at 3:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:02 PM ----------

everything is brand new is there any way i could talk on the phone to tell you more it is alot fast I'm using everything that came from the 454 but i got it brand new again

---------- Post added at 3:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:05 PM ----------

if i use the lrp collet it does not give me alot of room for the nut. if i use the losi collet its will not turn

I edited your title. Please title your threads according to your problem, otherwise every thread on this forum would be, "I need help".
Thanks.

i put the collet on then the flywheel the the nut, clutch shoes , bearing clutch bell and the screw in and its tight

if i use the lrp collet it does not give me alot of room for the nut. if i use the losi collet its will not turn
collet > flywheel > nut > clutch shoes > SHIMS > bearing > clutch bell bearing >screw

collet: I used to have this problem for awhile without getting any definite answer from people. They claim they used the stock setup but never worked for me (clutch bell binding). I ended up filling up the flywheel hole (where the collet sit) to gain enough clearance.

Shims: If I remember it right, it was 5 shims. Just add one shim at a time and check if the binding is gone.

collet > flywheel > nut > clutch shoes > SHIMS > bearing > clutch bell bearing >screw

collet: I used to have this problem for awhile without getting any definite answer from people. They claim they used the stock setup but never worked for me (clutch bell binding). I ended up filling up the flywheel hole (where the collet sit) to gain enough clearance.

Shims: If I remember it right, it was 5 shims. Just add one shim at a time and check if the binding is gone.

do i put it behind the collet or after the nut before the bearing in the clutch bell

My truck came with shims installed.

Yours should have too. What engine came with your truck?

---------- Post added at 7:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:17 PM ----------

I think I also bought shims for spare. I'll check my spare parts later if you can't find (just busy atm).

i can not find none let me know if u have or know what they

ok ty i will order both it goes behind the flywheel in the hole fill it up with shims then put it over the collet right

No. Like I mentioned above.. collet > flywheel > nut > clutch shoes > SHIMS > bearing > clutch bell > bearing >screw

SHIMS = first link
SCREW = second link

PS: You do NOT want to add any shims in between the collet and flywheel. Forget filling the flywheel because its a DYI and hard to explain. (If your Losi collet is too short, you can use your LRP collet but need a little modification)

Last edited:
Sometimes you need shims behind the collet to get the flywheel far enough from the crankcase or carb so the flywheel rub. Or to get the alignment right to get proper gear mesh. Sometimes the mesh can be dealt with by putting shims after the flywheel nut to just push the bell out a little bit, but usually you don't have a lot to work with or your shoes stick out and don't hit the bell evenly.

Have you been able to figure out what's too tight?

Is the flywheel hitting the engine or carb? If so, shims are needed before the collet is put on.

Is the bell hitting the flywheel? If so, then you need shims between the flywheel nut and CB bearing.

Does the CB just not spin freely once you tighten down the CB screw? If so, you have too many shims on after the outside bearing and the screw is crushing the bearing with side load causing binding. If this is the case and you have no shims, then you need to get a crank bushing/extender and shims to take up the remaining slop.

This kit comes with everything you need to properly do any of the above:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...ucts_id/5428/n/OFNA-1-8-Clutch-Bells-Shim-Kit

is hitting the carb the fly wheel. should i use the losi collet is to short the lrp collet is to long

Use losi collet but put shims on before the collet. Make sure to clean the crankshaft, inside/outside of the collet and the cone area the collet fits into the flywheel with alcohol to remove any oil residue. If you don't, you may end up with a flywheel that slips.

If I remember right, I had a similar issue with my aftershock when I installed an LRP28. I had to use the losi collet and put shims on before the collet to keep the flywheel from rubbing stuff.

u must use the losi collet/flywheel as it is designed well to sit perfectly in the chassis..others would not fit if you use the stock engine mount.

shim both front and rear of the collet/flywheel as needed. If without shimming, and the collet/flywheel touches the engine chassis: shim it to ensure that the collet/flywheel does not graze the engine chassis(carb neck)..only then you shim the CB accordingly. you may need a cylinder T (you can use the stainlesssteel cylinder T link on the throttle arm) on the outer CB with more shimming to ensure that the CB spins freely.

just sharing how I do it on mine.

I put the LRP.32 on my xxl and had to mess with the shimming for a while until I got it just right.

ok i just order the ofna clutch shim kit when it comes in i will try it thank you all for your help i will let you know how it go

i want thank you all for time and telling me what to get it works thanks