hpi savage problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC RICK

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
please help I have ran my savage in properly and it was working fine I have not changed any settings and it doesn't start very easy any more but when I do get it going it has a little rev by its self then it just conkes out if anyone has any suggestion on what the problem is I would be very thankfull as i have only just got it and really want to go out with it some more.
thanks Rick

How many tanks of fuel have you run? i suggest around 6 of them, but fo rthe not starting problem, i assume the temp outside is around 50 degrees, lean the HSN out a tad, 1/4 to 1/2 turn.. that should get you running. if you are on tank #7 when the tank gets 1/2 empty, due to the size of the tank it gets leaner as the tank empties, so do this at 1/2 way so you dont cook the engine, start adjusting the HSN for smoke and temp range of 230-270d.

after the HSN is set it is time to set the LSN, the way i do this is buy pulling to a stop counting to 15 then hitting the gas to full throttle, if it bogs turn the needle 1 hr leaner and try again.. when you get to the point of immediate take off, riched it back up 1-2 hours, but being a little rich, when you get off the throttle at the end of a straight so on so fourth the extra fuel will assist in cooling.

JUST REMBER TO DO THIS AT 1/2 TANK!!!! after the engine is warm.. i usually do the first tank fill to 1/2 tank then make adjustments topping it to half point till i have it set, usually takes me 2 tanks of fuel to get to the point i am happy...

thanks i am in the uk though which is cold but also my pull start does not bite much sometimes but it was to start with I have ran 3 tanks through my savage its really annoyin cause it was fine to start with and thanks for the help this could get me back terrin up dirt

CRSMP5 - What is 1-2 hours? Two full turns? I'm not getting it?

Sorry man.

imagine the LSN as a clock.. we could say 1/8 turn or 1/4 turn, but a hours is easy to state with it, the LSN is more touchy aka less adj needed to go long way vs the HSN.

I am thinking he is refereing to something like go from 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock that would be two Hours....X

Ok now I get it - sorry.... Was confused. So set the needles to factory then move them to either 1 or 2 o clock, clockwise I would assume for leaning and counterclockwise for richening.

All good now.

I have tried this and it has made no difference at all so i put them back to factory settings i can't even get it started now i have checked glow plug and starter and it aint that any more suggestion thaks for your replys
Rick

What is the outdoors temp? i dont know if ya got mc coy glow plugs there, but try a MC59, it is a hot plug vs the plug that came stock, if it is real cold out it is possible the plug i snot getting hot enough.. that would be my last guess...

I've had trouble starting my savage before too,i found that i wasn't priming the engine with enough fuel,make sure there are no air bubbles in the fuel line and you can hear the fuel gushing into the engine when you prime it.Also,when its cold outside mine can be a bitch to start too.I seem to lose compression sometimes too when pulling the cord,as if i had removed the glow plug....wierd.

p.s-where bouts in england u from?

Last edited:
well when it was "cold" i found where the mc plug helps alot.. but be careful, overpriming will make it hydrolock, in return breaking the pullstart..

hi thanks for your replys i have been fideling with my needles again and it now starts fine mostly first time but it will not go in to second gear but when i i had it running when i first got it i could get it to second gear is this cause its new ihave only ran 3 to 4 tanks through it and i live on the south coast in dorset how about you thanks
Rick

Took Woodie and I both around 8 tanks to hit second gear (if done right). You will only end up leaning the HSN about 1/4 turn in TOTAL from stock to make this happen. Thats from breaking, the 1/4 turn.

Hi there I'm in the uk essex / suffolk border, sunday mine would start run about 5 secs and die. I had been playing with needles week before. I had the low needle set to lean. Thus I was not getting enough fuel to start and run. once warm it was fine but it was telling me to richen it up a little. I have and it starts fine now.

I also discovered my mid needle the one you must not touch was not set very well. screwed it in then came out recormended amount. It now runs great. smooth revs even at half throttle.
I actually got a wheelie. Have set my truck to ride higher (cable ties around shock towers). the extra height can cause it to wheelie. it seams to drive happier the tail slides out more ( I like that) I'm using an OS a8 glow plug. seams fine. couldn't get OS a5 which was recormended.

Just thought i'd let you know hae had same probs. Never had cold trouble yet and have run in the snow no probs.

Back