HPI R40 vs Associated NTC3 Factory Team

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navi_gator

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Which is better for serious racing and why? No other product please.

Both are good. It all comes down to driver preference. You will get a variety of answers. Will they sway you one way or the other? it all depends on what you see as being important factors.

I have owned the NTC3, and driven the R40. Both have praises and pitfalls. They are both worthy racers with a variety of hopups. To choose one over the other will ultimatley come down to where you get your parts and what is available. Either one is an excellent choice.

Last edited:
I aggree with Diver6127!!

But FYI Xtreme Rc car mag really bashed the NTC3 No ratings higher than a 5, while the R40 had nothing lower than an 8.

I think you can go to the Xtreme rc mag website and look at the tests online for free for alot of cars and trucks!!!

just alittle food for thought! btw it http://www.rc411.com/index.php !!!

look under performance tests!!!! NTC3 was on page 4 i think!!

Last edited:
Yeah, the mags will rate and judge the car for what it's worth to them. But that's their opinion on a score sheet.

The actual best thing you can do is drive both cars and compare but that's like living in a complete utopian society. Won't happen. The next best thing is to go to the track and see if those cars are being run. Ask the owners what they like and don't like take notes).

Other than that, research research research! Gather as much information you can on both cars and come to a conclusion after weighing the gains and losses.

You can go by what others recomend but you are the only one that has to live with your decision. Make it count.

the rating of 5 during the TC3 testing was the highest rating :p look at the other tests during the time of that one.. if you read the review they actually REALLLY liked the car

The TC3 is a nice shaft car that is good for bashing and racing. IMO the R40 is more of a serious racer. It is a belt driven car with better weight distribution and more suspension adjustments.

Both are good choices. Get the one with with better parts support in your area.

yeha i have a tc3 and i feel like if i was looking for a dedicated race car instead of a basher i would have gone the r40 route.

<--- former r40 owner.

Zero complaints here. I agree with Divers first comments.

Or you can get both and solve the problem right there. :)

Arrow said:
yeha i have a tc3 and i feel like if i was looking for a dedicated race car instead of a basher i would have gone the r40 route.
I ran the NTC3 as a dedicated racer for a little over a season when I was learning "the ropes." Nothing wrong with it. Performed very well. I just outgrew it very fast as I started racing even more competatively down the road.

I have fellow racing buddies that still use the FT NTC3 as their racer. They do very well with it and drive the crap out of it consistantly in the Amains. Good car as long as you set it up correctly but that's the case with any car.

Hey, RossB, you're alive!

I agree, get BOTH!

Ha ha, I'm hibernating. I will be back in full force in the spring.

Happy holidays to all!

Back