hpi or traxxas for racing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroX

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a nitro for racing. should I get a trophy buggy 3.5 or a nitro slash. I'm open to suggestions but I'm trying to keep it under 400

Either would be a good starting point. I'd lean a bit more towards the Slash because HPI is having a bit of a time getting out parts because of their recent buyout.

What is the most popular class at your local track? If I were just starting out, then that's what I'd lean towards as it's where you're likely to get the most help as a newcomer. And I'm with hamz, I'd avoid anything HPI (I know, ironic right? :D) until they iron out their business issues.

Parts availability is a major concern with racing. You should go with something that has lots of upgrade parts avail so you can build what you are going to need to win as you go along. I don't Have a lot of experience with hpi but the other posts seem to have answered that question. If it between those 2 alone, the traxxas seems to be the only choice.Def let us know what you choose, or if you choose a different kit based on local parts availability. You Def should be checking out what the other ppl who are racing are running. Talk with the ppl at the track. They will be able to answer a lot of the questions as well.

I'm trying to decide on a nitro for racing. should I get a trophy buggy 3.5 or a nitro slash. I'm open to suggestions but I'm trying to keep it under 400
I've never seen a nitro traxxas vehicle race on any track I've been to. If you wanna race you need to check out local tracks and find out what classes/vehicles they're running. Good luck and have fun!!

I am a due hard Kyushu fan as well as associated... They both make EXCELLENT competition quality rigs. You Def want to check out parts avail and yes, what classes and what other ppl are running at the track... And why. Talk to the ppl who are competitive... They are the ones who know what's up and can help you to find the rig that's right for you and your track.

I use a Trophy 3.5 at my local track, Its strong, survived multiple hard crashes and kept on going. With minor upgrades it seems to hold up well and is lots of fun.

Back