HPI Evo 3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2oman

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have the above metioned car. After putting in a new racing gas tank(no primer) It starts and runs good, but when i have to refill or stop the engine it is real hard to start up again. I have a brand new glow plug, and gas tank the engine is running @238 degrees and there is smoke coming out of the exhuast. Is it just me???

I'm watching this thread. A friend of mine is having the same problem (but with an OFNA car).

so is it a all in one item and can it be installed on any car? Does it help keeep the prime or if it is lost it makes it easy to prime??

It's the heat from the engine pushing the fuel back into the fuel tank. It's called vapor lock. Whenever you buy an engine ALWAYS make sure it has an insulated carb neck. This totally prevents the problem.
Other possibilties are a tiny leak in your exhaust or pressure line, or the front engine bearing is not sealing good causing poor pressurization. Anywhere you see oil/burnt fuel building up is a place air can get in the engine.
Try leaning the bottom end, LSN if it has one. Richen the top end HSN 1 hour and decrease the idle gap if necessary. A poor tune makes starting hard as well.

Last edited:
The pressure line are brand new, so it is not that. There is no oil or burnt fuel around the motor, so it isa not that..I have only leaned the top end of the car. And i did it a lot to get the temp up to 230. I live in Denver so high altitude. I put the high end and low end to faqctory settings then i leanded only the top end out to get the temp up. So like you siad lean the bottom end and richen the top end and go from there...I have not messed with the idle gap at all. i will do so. thanks Scrogg.

When tuning a new engine, use the LSN to get the temps up at idle to 1/4 throttle.
During breakin the HSN has little affect because you are not winding out the engine.
I know this contradicts the manuals, but this is the correct way to do it. Ask any engine modifier. You can do more damage overleaning the HSN vs. the LSN.
Your welcome btw.

Thanks for the welcome Scrogg. Does this differ if it is not a new engine. I bought it used. Should I start at factory settings again. Where should the idle be when i first start? Sorry for all the questions for this is my first nitro car..