HPI Baja 5T Vs. Exceed Hannibal (1/5 scale)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgeisz

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok guys, I'm lookin at 1/5 scale trucks, and I always hear you guys saying that HPI is the poop, so I was looking for a 4wd Baja, and they don't seem to have it. Do you guys know of any 4wd hop up kits for them?

Q2 How much do Both peices cost (Truck and huk)

I'd appriciate some help on this one, cause I'm not smart on 1/5 scale.:\

I have no experience with them yet, but from what I've read, HPI Baja is the only way to go.

I have no experience with them yet, but from what I've read, HPI Baja is the only way to go.

thats what I hear a lot too, but I can't find a 4wd kit for one, and if i can't I'll go with the exceed, cause it has 4wd (Plus it uses the same engine)

I have a Baja and it is an amazing machine. There are no 4x4 kits for it. I know nothing about the Exceed other than the parts quality of most of their vehicles don't far "Exceed" that of a toy grade RC. How much are you looking to spend on a 1/5 scale? There are other brands out there.

I highly suggest you research the availability of parts for the Hannibal.

If something breaks and you can't find a replacement part, you have yourself a $700 paperweight.

With any Exceed RC you are better off buying 2 of them so you are assured of having some spare parts.

To be honest I would not mind having a Redcat Rampage. They are a decent machine and you can get parts from Dave's Motors too.

really just whatever it costs, imma save up for it. and I REALLY want 4wd, like that's the selling point for me. Here's the exceed 1/5 scale :http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c883-hannibal-green-artr.html

My first suggestion would be to step away from the Exceed model. I've heard nothing but horrible stuff about their products. Like someone else said, basically toy grade... not something you want in a 1/5th scale for sure.

Being that you are in the US - a HPI Baja is going to be your most common large scale you'll come across, but as you know... no 4WD.

That leaves you with really only two good options - FG or MCD. Both IMO are great brands but just don't have the following here in the states like the Baja does. Both make 4WD models, but be prepared to pay about $1300+ for one though.

Part availability is pretty good for the FG as both LargeScaleRC.com and DavesMotors.com sell FG parts. LargeScaleRC also sales MCD parts. You can also save a few bucks (5%) using coupon code LSF at either online stores.

My first suggestion would be to step away from the Exceed model. I've heard nothing but horrible stuff about their products. Like someone else said, basically toy grade... not something you want in a 1/5th scale for sure.

Being that you are in the US - a HPI Baja is going to be your most common large scale you'll come across, but as you know... no 4WD.

That leaves you with really only two good options - FG or MCD. Both IMO are great brands but just don't have the following here in the states like the Baja does. Both make 4WD models, but be prepared to pay about $1300+ for one though.

Part availability is pretty good for the FG as both LargeScaleRC.com and DavesMotors.com sell FG parts. LargeScaleRC also sales MCD parts. You can also save a few bucks (5%) using coupon code LSF at either online stores.

Every time I read your posts I picture woody (Frm toy story) Talking. it's pretty funny.

So, How exactly is the exceed so bad, like what parts are bad on it?

Q2 Again, about how much would a baja cost?

Just do a quick Google search on it, and you will get a variety of prices.

Every time I read your posts I picture woody (Frm toy story) Talking. it's pretty funny.

So, How exactly is the exceed so bad, like what parts are bad on it?

Q2 Again, about how much would a baja cost?
He IS the Woodie from Toy Story...that is part of the MAGIC of RCNT. On the Exceed I would think only the part made by Exceed are bad....mostly the plastic and metal parts. Baja prices...have you tried maybe Tower Hobbies...AMain, Dave's Motors?

or pretty much ANYONE that carries HPI...... and from a pic I've seen........ yea.... almost woodie's woodie. HAHA

Wow, Just did a search on google shopping, and the Baja is actually only about $60 More! I was expecting it to be waaaay more, but apparently not. well..... I guess I could try to make 4wd kit from parts of other 1/5 scale trucks..... cuz for that price, if they're really that much better...

what do you guys think of the redcat 1/5 scale truck? (http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/1-5-Scale/Rampage-XT-GAS)

The HPI baja is more of a basher buggy.If you want precision driving go for the MCD or FG.Both do a 4x4 version and are pretty poop hot on parts with loads of upgrades.
But you will find they are mostly for a European market as America use HPI's more.
I have had nine FG's one MCD two HPI's and KM clone and prafare the HPI 5T as a basher and an FG as a off-roader and my MCD Rally as a road car.
J

The Exceeed Hannibal is the same truck as the Redcat Rampage. The Redcat line has better availability and much better support.

Check out RampageHopUps for purchase and RedcatRampageForum for more detail.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I'm lookin at 1/5 scale trucks, and I always hear you guys saying that HPI is the poop, so I was looking for a 4wd Baja, and they don't seem to have it. Do you guys know of any 4wd hop up kits for them?

Q2 How much do Both peices cost (Truck and huk)

I'd appriciate some help on this one, cause I'm not smart on 1/5 scale.:\

id say hannibal because its cheaper i mean your looking to $400 cheaper and sometimes some parts from the baja are compatible

No parts are compatible with the Haniibal or Redcats. Unless you are talking anout the Baja hexes guys use to run the wheels.