How to tell shocks oil is bad?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saidin270

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I'm new to the rc scene and I just got my car yesterday if no one has seen my post in the new members area. Its great and I'm excited to get it running soon this weekend. I was checking it out and it seems like the shocks are pretty worn out. Is it just the oil I have to change or the whole shock setup? Thanks for any help!

Probably just the oil, as long as the shocks arent leaking. or try a higher wt

Probably just the oil, as long as the shocks arent leaking. or try a higher wt

They arent leaking or anything but they do make a small noise. The back shocks are stiffer than the front but a good margin. I guess I'll get some shock oil when I get everything else this weekend. What is a good wt for oil?

Is it an onroad car or offroad monster truck?

What are your currently running in it?

changing the wt of the oil will only make it stiffer or softer depending which way you go,if squeeking is the only problem maybe try lubing the associated linkage.on my revo i ended up putting a thicker oil in it becouse i wanted to stiffen it up a bit,mine came with 5ae 30w i dont know if they all the same

changing the wt of the oil will only make it stiffer or softer depending which way you go,if squeeking is the only problem maybe try lubing the associated linkage.on my revo i ended up putting a thicker oil in it becouse i wanted to stiffen it up a bit,mine came with 5ae 30w i dont know if they all the same

Its not really the squeeking that is bothering me its the shocks themselves. I bought the car off ebay and it was only used a few times after being broken in. The shocks just dont seem stiff enough plus the rear is stiffer than the front by a good margin like I mentioned before. What wt did you put in after the 5ae 30w??

I am running 50 wt up front and 90 in the rear of my revo.

I am running 50 wt up front and 90 in the rear of my revo.

Now does that much wt make them really stiff to where they hardly compress?? I'm planning on doing some jumps and just random bashing at my house so I dont want anything too stiff....but not really soft to where it bottoms out all the time off jumps.

I have a Revo and when I had to rebuild one of my shocks I put 80w all the way around. I don't race and it would bottom out badly when I jumped it. I keep the rear end preloaded and the front end is not, to help keep the front tires on the ground for better steering.

With all that said the Revo suspension set-up is unique, the shock lay horizontal on the chassis and use rockers to transfer the impact to the shocks. 80w might be too heavy for your shocks. I'm sure someone with the same rig as yourself will be along to give their advice.