How to drive nitro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texicus

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This might seem like a really dumb question, but here goes.

Is there a right/wrong way to drive a nitro vehicle? What I mean is, is there a certain amount of time I shouldn't hold throttle open for, etc? I know to check my temps and make sure the engine isn't running too hot, but I'm wondering if there's more to it. I had never thought of it until recently.

Any tips are appreciated!

It is not a dumb question.

A wrong way is to hold the throttle wide open at top RPM and just keep it there until you run out of parking lot, and then doing the same on the return trip. A right way would be to run it up to "almost " top RPM and then let off, letting the RPM fall off and pulsating the throttle like you would a squirt gun trigger. That allows the engine to breath and get some air and fuel into it to help it cool back down. Also running a truck or buggy in high grass at full throttle will cause it to overheat.

Appreciated! Thanks. I took the head off my engine last night (TRX 3.3) to check the piston condition - the top and a bit of the top of the head are burnt black. Cleaned it up as best I could and reassembled. I'll try to run this weekend and see how it goes!

Back