High temps

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exmark93

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i have a savage x with the stock 4.6 engine with a gallon through it. when i first got it i tuned it by ear and the amount of smoke i saw. i picked up a temp gun this weekend and noticed when my engine was running great it was about 285-310. but when id cool it down by richening up the mixture and run it around 240-260 it runs HORRIBLE has that gargling sound to it and has a lack of power won't even wheelie. tuning and starting are simple and engine temps are consistent throughout the tank, starts about 220 and ends up at around 290-300 (mid tank lean) does my engine just run hot or do i have an air leak?

what kind of temp gun do you have?

Try a hotter plug to help bring temp down

if the emissivity value( i think i said that right) is set wrong on your gun you will get false readings from it.

I would check your LSN. Sounds like you are slightly lean there. After you get your car good and hot. Bring it in and monitor the temp closely. This should drop about 1 degree every 4-5 seconds.

its a commercial electric from home depot 40$ not the greatest but its accurate at average temps around the house. the stock glow plugs are the hpi r5 so its the cold plug

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

I would check your LSN. Sounds like you are slightly lean there. After you get your car good and hot. Bring it in and monitor the temp closely. This should drop about 1 degree every 4-5 seconds.

not questioning you but it think its pretty rich, when i idle i have a little smoke coming from the pipe and when i pinch my fuel like it takes more a little more than 5 seconds for it to stop

is it adjustable to read different materials?

I've been having this same exact problem with my ryobi temp gun. Wants to run about 250-270 consistently great but any richer and it runs like crap. I've been trouble shooting. Found the seal on my exhaust wrotted, but that didn't fix it.

its a commercial electric from home depot 40$ not the greatest but its accurate at average temps around the house. the stock glow plugs are the hpi r5 so its the cold plug

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

not questioning you but it think its pretty rich, when i idle i have a little smoke coming from the pipe and when i pinch my fuel like it takes more a little more than 5 seconds for it to stop

Might want to confirm your temp gun is reading correctly. 300 degrees is HOT! If not a dangerous temp it sure is getting close. If all else fails try to get more air to the engine.

Most nitro engines run beast at about 210°-230°. Traxxas TRX 3.3 engines that I've had tend to run best at about 270°-290° IMO. It sounds like your K4.6 is running way too hot.

well i am running on grass, i have a healthy stream of smoke and a good throttle response and no cutting out at high speeds. is it just the grass that is raising my heat. on road i can keep it down to 230-250

Your temps are always going to be lower on pavement compared to grass due to there's more rolling resistance in the grass. I run 20% in my 5.9 xl and my temps are right around 230. Have you cut your front windshield yet? If the answer is no I would start there and if you have I would reset to factory and work from there.

yeh my revo temp spikes when i hit grass. kinda sucks but its expected.

yeah,if the grass just touches the underside of the rc when you gas it it squats causing 10 times more rolling resistance as flat ground.it will burn an engine up.almost did mine till i tightened up the shocks and raised it up.

Back