help with original rc10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofy2788

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay I need some help with my RC10. I have an original with the aluminum chassie, novak electronic speed controller, futaba radio and servos and a "Pretty, Puny, Sissy Little Motor". My problem is that I have always used pre made 6 cell batteries and only get maybe 5 mins of run time. Usually 4 mins of full speed and then 1-2 mins of diminishing speed until it dies. Does anyone have a suggestion of what to do to get more run time?

Smaller pinion/larger spur, possibly some new nimh cells. You'd be amazed what the battery makers have done in the last year.

Depending on what your using now, a good set of 3600-3800 will give you more then double of what your getting now.

If your motor is in bad shape this will also cut your run time.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think its the motor because I've tried many different types all with the same run time.
Can you all recommed a good battery to purchase (brand/size)
Thanks
Matt.

I'd recommend just as FastEddy said; some nimh packs rated around 3600-3800mah are what you'd want. You'll also need a charger capable of charging nimh cells.

Outside of that, make sure your gear lash is set properly (there should be a little tiny bit of play between the pinion and spur gears... just enough to be able to rock the gears back and forth slightly.) Check the mesh at 1/8th turn intervals, to compensate for out-of-round spurs (rare, but they do happen).

Also, ditch the Tamiya style connectors (if you still have them) and solder low-loss connectors in their place. It'll up your runtime a fair amount.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm probably forgetting some obvious things....

Okay here is where my stupidity comes into play. What are Tamiya style connectors?
I was seventeen when I bought this rc10 (like I said its old) I'm now 33 and have been out of the rc world since early 1990's.

These are tamiya connectors ...
[inwindow=300]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGG99&P=ML[/inwindow]

thats the two prong with one round one square plug... normaly comes installed on the stick batterys..

Diver and Beason beat me to it :) But, they're dead-on-correct. Those connectors are generally a power robber (especially if they're that old). They tend to wear out and 'loosen up' faster than any other connector-type. It's extremely noticable if the connectors tend to get warm/hot.

They shouldn't affect your runtime all that much, no where near as much as too-tight of a gear lash will. That, and the older cells might be loosing capacity (others call it memory; I call it what it really is; capacity loss). The only real way to improve at that point is new cells.

Another thing to look at with the original RC10 is the tranny. Those old six gear tranny's produce a lot of rotating mass, and if I remember right from the RC10 that I had the tranny has brass bushings. Replace all of those bushings with bearings, that will help extend your run times too.