HELP! servos/recievers/transmitter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hirevn

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i know I've asked before and my lhs just made it more frustrating than it needs to be. with no stock on servos for 1/8 scale buggy's I'm left with placing an order thru tower for my radio gear.
can you guys maybe throw down some part #'s of the best airtronics/jr/or others for the servos i need? or does anyone make a nice transmitter that has the right servos included?
sorry if these are all newbie questions as I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is where i get the most confused.my budget on radio gear is 400.00 if i get a new transmitter or i can use my jr2 and just get the best damn servos i can get along with a new am reciever.
thanks for any help with this.

If you are going to be in this hobby for a while I will suggest spending your cash on a good radio set. Servos that come packaged with sets usually are middle of the road.

All brands are subjective.
My preference is the Airtronics M8. It has been used but the top drivers longer then any other radio and has more wins behind it any other as well. My preference in servos is Hi-Tec digitals. (MG) Metal Gears and the highest possible torque for off road steering and (HS) High Speed for throttle / brake. On a 1/8 or off road you will want some torque on the that one as well to handle the braking.

Here is a link to get a better idea of the range of servo specs.
http://servocity.com/html/hitec_servos.html

Here is the M8. I would get this one and then hang out for a month or so until the new modules are available

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX0756**&P=7
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM1002

This is just one mans opinion.

I concur with FastEddy on the M8.

For the servo's, however, I highly suggest the Airtronics 358 for steering. If you wanna get a hitec for throttle, that's fine. I mean FastEddy no disrespect and it's certainly not blind loyaly to the brand or to the equipment I own. My recommendation on the Airtronics 358 comes solely from experience. I had a $80 digital hitech sterring servo in my buggy for 3 months or so. In the end, it let me down when I needed it the most and I was very unhappy with the quality of the product vs the price. $400 for radio equipment is wonderful. You can pick up an M8 used in good shape with receiver for $225-$250 (check the offroad forsale item on www.sgrid.com or check ebay). The 358 will run you $100 from tower or maybe $75 or so used. Should be able to pick up a throttle/brake servo (357 is nice) and still be within budget.

A difference in brand loyalty is in no way disrespect.
We have entered into a great time in this hobby.
There is a huge amount of quality products available to us, more then ever before.
Having choices is a good thing.

I second the airtronics stuff.

I too will be picking up an M8 (looking for a nice deal on a used TX only) and using it with my current recievers and crystals.

And then later down the road when the money is there and I can find one, I'll be buying the spectrum modules.

I personally use the airtronics 94358z that everyone else has talked about. It isn't digital, but it is ball bearing, sealed, metal geared, and has 200 oz. of torque at a speed of .10. I use this servo for both throttle and sterring. One of mine is new and has worked all season, the other was used for one season before I got it, and I still havn't had trouble with either. I have anoter used one that I bought for my 1/10th scale truck and have yet to have any problems from it. (starting to think it's having trouble going back to center consitintly). I also have a 94357z that is the same servo that is a bit faster and doesn't have as much torque (125 oz. & .07). It's still new, and I'm just not sure where I'm going to use it yet.

On another note, I've been using a JR z590m all season long in my 1/10th scale as well. First I used it for sterring, and then bought the bad boy airtronics and switched it to throttle duty. Just didn't put in another bad boy servo outa laziness. It has been a great little servo for It's $40 price tag.

Brandon

get the helios

http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=KPP80066G**/166.0.1922.0.0.0.0

i love mines i got the digital servos and i just love them
holding power is by far better than any other servos that are not Digs.

and the drop down wheel is the best.
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=KPP17004/166.0.1053.56.0.0.0

i need to let untchbl
try mines next time i'm at the track.

i had 3pj
m8
and now a ko

with all that said
save your money and get very good radio it will last you for years and years.

i had my 3pj for 11 years before i went to the m8 for a year then a ko now.

just some thinking food for you.

dibs

dibs, I'll have to give it a whirl, that and the losi of yours too. :D might help me make my decision for what 1/10th to go with next season.

I havn't given the KO stuff that much thought.

Brandon

you sure can try my losi.

i have gone from a GT from back in the 90's to the GT of 2 years a go.

then the new kyosho truck evo

then now the losi.

the losi is so much easy for me to drive.

i plan on getting the new losi some time in may.

I'll be out with either my old gt or the k3 this saturday dibs. I'm thinking I'm going to snap up one of the new nt's just as soon as ginna has one. I would like to try one first. I"m going to be upgrading radio's too. shot me a pm dibbs, so we don't bust up this guys thread to bad.

Sorry for the hyjack guys. :D

Brandon

o.k.,thanks guys.how will this setup work? 94358z erg-vb to handle steering and the 357 to handle the throttle/brakes? as far as radio i kinda like the 3pk model for non digital servos,any comments on this radio?looks like this will set me back close to 550.00 but id like to do it right.

sounds like a winning combo. lets not forget that by getting the 3pk you can update it next year with the new spectrum module. they should be available late january 05 for the m8 and by early spring for the 3pk.

flash said:
sounds like a winning combo. lets not forget that by getting the 3pk you can update it next year with the new spectrum module. they should be available late january 05 for the m8 and by early spring for the 3pk.

The 3pk is a great unit as well. If my M8 ever gives up the ghost I will conceder one myself. Your radio is one of the most important tools you have in this hobby, don't cheat yourself if you are in for the long haul. I heard spring as well on the spectrum module for the 3pk.

Sorry to keep pushing spectrum module but this technology will be the standard in a year or so. I would hate to see someone spend good money on a radio that can't be upgraded.

can somebody explain to me about spectrum? if i understand this correctly then if i buy a m8 for instance ill need to by a moduel for the transmitter and a reciever for the buggy sepretly but this gives me the ability to just match dials on the 2 parts to change frequencys?

http://www.spektrumrc.com/

no dials to match, the spektrum is "smart" and picks an open frequency for you. there is no chance of being on the same channel as someone else ever.

ha,now it all makes more sense,like fasteddy pointed out getting a transmiter without a reciever (saving money is always good) and buying this reciever and moduel setup when available in january and having a great setup for around 320.00 less servos.
thanks for the help again guys,its all starting to make sense now.

wow, I didn't think RCNT was attracting gridders. That's an accomplishment. Welcome dibs! :cheers:

Thanx Freak,

just trying to help out when i can.

The RC community is a tight group.
There is absolutely no reason for people to participate, seek information and camaraderie from only one place. Every community has its benefits and we welcome everyone with open arms.

Welcome to RCNT

Let me suggest the Airtronics line also. The M8 is awesome. It does everything and it's light. Has a good balanced feel in your hand as well. As for servos, I run all Airtronics. 94357 or 360 for speed, 358 or 359 for torque. Excellent servos that last. 94757 is a good digital that has lasted over a season on the steering of my 1/8.

FastEddy said:
The RC community is a tight group.
There is absolutely no reason for people to participate, seek information and camaraderie from only one place. Every community has its benefits and we welcome everyone with open arms.

Welcome to RCNT

Well thank you Eddy.
i'm glad i found RCNT.

you have a nice thing going on here.

keep up the good work.

dibs

Back