help selecting new charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usv568

RCTalk Champion
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Looking to get a new charger, but as we all know there is a lot to choose from. I'm wanting a charger to charge 2s and 3s lipos and would like to charge 4 at a time in as short a time as possable. Must be an AC/DC.

You can only charge one battery at a time. I'm looking to do 4 at one time. Thank you for your response.

I.would need an external power supply. I don't really want to go.that route. Is there other options?

I have a NIB LRP lipo charger for sale. Its AC/DC. Won it in a giveaway and I dont need it. I could make you a deal on it and then you can get a parallel charging board if the lipos you want to charge 4 at a time are the same cell count and close to the same mAh rating. PM me if you're interested in going that route.

If you Lipos are all different sizes then you will need something along the lines of the Hitec X4 which will require the use of a DC power supply. I'm not aware of any X4 chargers that run on AC plug.

hitec x4 is the way to go my friend, have had mine for a while now and i love it. 2 3c,1 2c and a 6c all at the same time gotta love it....the venom pro is also excellent,just put a new fan in mine, it is a work horse for sure...

I was looking at the venom. Thanks guys I have something to think.about.

Power supplies aren't that difficult to make. and costs a few $.
The one i use required the solder of two small wires together on the ribbon cable, I connected them to an led. But the 4mm outputs was already built in.
I'm using mine for the powerlab 8 now. I can't even do a write up because it is too easy.
solder these two wires. The output is already built on the underside.
wirestoshort.jpg

I had to buy and fit the inlet switch, which just plugs into the board.
inletpluggedconnected.jpg

and voila, the outputs are on the opposite top corner.
screwthroughbottom.jpg

Total cost delivered to door £10. I may make another to get the 24V but the single has 12V 23.5A, there is a 12V 32A. But this 23.5A is more energy efficient than all the others

I may make another to get the 24V but the single has 12V 23.5A, there is a 12V 32A. But this 23.5A is more energy efficient than all the others

If you run 2 of them in series to get 24V you'll have to change one of them to have a floating ground and you'll want to leave both earth grounds in place. I know this is off topic but I just thought Id throw it out there in case you were unaware.

Getting back on topic.... converting an old PC PSU into a 12V power supply it is pretty easy and I do have a video of it on my YouTube channel. Here's a link if anyone is interested.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgmKNr_1myw"]ATX PSU to DC Power for lipo chargers - YouTube[/ame]

cool, it was this vid that made me look into power supplies. But wanted to try something different other than the big cube.

Glad to hear my videos help people from tiem to time :) and yeah you can use any PSU as long as it has enough wattage and amperage to do the job :)