help on a clod kit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mondragon

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys I figured Idd ask here, sence it seems no one on the clod forums I've been on even wana talk to me. they all seem stuck up or somethen? anyway I have been wanting to get another clodbuster to build. I have a chance to get a ThunderTech Cenutrion vertion 2 clod thats brans new never ran. but I know nothing about the kit. I'm not sure if it would make a decent crawler, kind looks old school. there was only 90 of these made so its kinda rare. then theres the jps super pro kit extreamly nice and very expencive, but at the moment i dont care idd buy it. Is there anyone here that could help me? or offer advice on these trucks or any other kit out there for the clod. i would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Mondragon

Personally I'm not crazy about the thundertech stuff. What is your budget, and what exactly do you want to do with it? Crawl, race/bash, or something that will be ok at both but not excell in either one.

Don't feel bad about the attitude you encountered on some of the dedicated crawler sites, it seems to be pretty common, especially at one I won't mention. Out of the crawler sites I have checked out the only one I ever really visit is Clodtalk.

I was wanting to build an all around truck, something that can crawl and still handle good. I want it to have good wheel travel, fairly long wheel base. I'm not going to bash it hard, I have a nice savage for that.something that looks nice. I can spend up to a grand, but not all at once. I really like the jps kit,but its 700 dollars for the truck,and that's not including wheels, body,shocks and electronics. the gecko 2 looked nice. I haven't messed with clods sense the late 80s early 90s.so I'm kind of a noob on them now.

Thundertech and JPS are both built with racing in mind, but they can be adjusted to crawl. IMO the Gecko II woukd be a good choice are for a little more check out Imbrokens thread on his Interbeecrew Clod, it's Aewsome! https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33917

I did own what I concidered a nice JPS Clod but it wasn't the best crawler......The chassis was a little too short.

Last edited:
Smaxxin, the jps can be set up without the cants, make some longer links and that should really improve the crawling aspect of that chassis. There are actually a few choices out there right now, from about $200 for a kit, something like a rockbull, or $500+ for something like ImBrokens innerbeecrew I-rock.

Mondragon, do you already have a set of axles, or are you going to need to buy those as well? We really need some more info to help steer you in the right direction.

I have no clod parts yet. This is something I'm going to start in the next week or so. First I want to figure out what kind of platform I'm going with, and what parts I'm going to need.
this is from Paul at jps on there chassis set up.

The new pro chassis super is 16.5" long on wheel center, it has longer cantilever
arms, it allows 6-shocks, the torsion bars are wider to allow more motor clearance.
Thanks, Paul at JPS

Something like that set up. with a long wheel base. is what I'm looking for, but like I said I'm a noob on clods nowadays. and I don't want to just go out and buy the first thing I see. when I have access to so many people with exp. on what's out there now.
So it needs to be a long wheel base, preferably made out of aluminum, good flex, appealing to the eyes, and maybe have a little wow factor when other people see it.
There's not a hole lot of rocks in Florida but some wicked clay pits that have some gnarly stuff to climb. there are rocks at some of the beaches, that help keep the hurricane surge damage down I can climb on to.
Just looked at I'm broken's clod very nice maybe ill go that way, I like that setup... sweeet...

Anyway I go ill be spending a lot. So I think I'm going with the JPS kit. Its the hole kit, just add shocks, gears, tires and I'm set. my wife has oked it but she said Ill have to wait 2 weeks befor I buy it. I figure Illl be spending this much anyway I go, so I might as well go for this. heres a pic of the kit.
jps20super20chassis20saleedite.jpg

and it has that:OMG: affect when people see it to.

Last edited:
Back