help me spend my money

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majin

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
ok I've allowed myself 400 bucks to spend on a basher. probably going to be an arma, interested in the Big Rock, but my price limitation means I'm not going to be able to get a 6s vehicle. i have read a LOT of posts where people have said that the 6s is where its at if its an option. well thats not for me. ya boi is financially unstable. 3s is what i can afford. so that means id have to set up the slipper properly? i dont even know what that means so has me sketched out. so leaning away froim the big rock after reading a few many posts.
id be driving it and my son as well. the terrain is mainly medium-tall grass and asphalt, we dont really have any jumps or anything besides the classic plywood leaned on some tires( it was good enough for my bmx in the 90s its good enough for me now) ( no its seriously not we need better jumps)
we just want to rip up n down the street and hop curbs and such without getting bogged down in grass.
id love some suggetsions on any fun durable bashers
i mainly want my son to be able to drive something fast. wreck it and not have him worry that he did something wrong? like i want him to laugh at a wreck like i do. he is still nervous so i need it to be able to clip a curb and not fall apart. i need hi to be able to survive a few wrecks to help him build his confidence in driving like his dad, honestly the hbx does great for him BUT when it breaks i have to wait on ship[ping from china for a replacement. never again lol.
any feed back would be appreciated tho. pros and cons, maybe your favorite thats within the 400$ range?

Most of the Arrma 3s lineup is less than 400 bucks. Normal RTR minus battery.
Basic traxxas 2wd vxl lineup or 4x4 vxl lineup.
Associated pro2/4 sc10
Lots of possibilities out there

If it were me I would get an Arrma Typhon. The 6s. It's a great starter rig. The 3s has not so good gearing and such. The 3 s is a weaker RC, compared to the 6s. You should buy it once, not trice. :thumbs-up:. Kinda depends on what you want, and what you can afford.

Last edited:
ok I've allowed myself 400 bucks to spend on a basher. probably going to be an arma, interested in the Big Rock, but my price limitation means I'm not going to be able to get a 6s vehicle. i have read a LOT of posts where people have said that the 6s is where its at if its an option. well thats not for me. ya boi is financially unstable. 3s is what i can afford. so that means id have to set up the slipper properly? i dont even know what that means so has me sketched out. so leaning away froim the big rock after reading a few many posts.
id be driving it and my son as well. the terrain is mainly medium-tall grass and asphalt, we dont really have any jumps or anything besides the classic plywood leaned on some tires( it was good enough for my bmx in the 90s its good enough for me now) ( no its seriously not we need better jumps)
we just want to rip up n down the street and hop curbs and such without getting bogged down in grass.
id love some suggetsions on any fun durable bashers
i mainly want my son to be able to drive something fast. wreck it and not have him worry that he did something wrong? like i want him to laugh at a wreck like i do. he is still nervous so i need it to be able to clip a curb and not fall apart. i need hi to be able to survive a few wrecks to help him build his confidence in driving like his dad, honestly the hbx does great for him BUT when it breaks i have to wait on ship[ping from china for a replacement. never again lol.
any feed back would be appreciated tho. pros and cons, maybe your favorite thats within the 400$ range?
Associated MT10 is said to be a lot better than the Arrma 3s stuff. If you really want a monster truck, I'd say the MT10 is probably best in that class. @ahr43 has a couple and can fill ya in on them.

Do you have good 3S batteries for it? Like 80C+ and 5000mAh+?

Stay away from the Arrma 3s lineup. They are decent, but have their downfalls. The stupid motor module is a pain. Wish I had bought the MT10 instead of the Granite. The 4s I hear are a bunch of turds as well.

Any other ones you are looking at besides 3S monster trucks?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3648210386...BpMLkrrQWi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I just got one of these a few weeks ago, $200 off for a damaged box it’s worth it🤣

FE481C1D-D90C-4023-9EEB-85DCD13255AE.jpeg
021B9D28-7A87-45D2-B5B7-28095F99C44C.jpeg

They keep popping up on there but usually don’t stay long
758C270D-7C2A-479B-A207-843497B8D2A1.jpeg

Save your money and get what you want, not just what will get you by. It took me a year to save enough for my SCX6. No regrets.
This right here ^^^ don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket, you'll be glad you waited!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3648210386...BpMLkrrQWi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I just got one of these a few weeks ago, $200 off for a damaged box it’s worth it🤣

View attachment 187192View attachment 187193

They keep popping up on there but usually don’t stay longView attachment 187194
What a steal, gonna have to grab one of those, I have beaten the snot out of my 1/10 MT Rival, and keeps on ticking!

Last edited:
I agree, save the money and get something better.
Another suggestion and this is what I would do,
I would buy a couple used rollers and build away.

This right here ^^^ don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket, you'll be glad you waited!

What a steal, gonna have to grab one of those, I have beaten the snot out of my 1/10 MT Rival, and keeps on ticking!

I’ve been thinking about picking up another one 🤣

Save your money and get what you want, not just what will get you by. It took me a year to save enough for my SCX6. No regrets.
This is what I was going to post!! if money is a problem save and do it right the first time.

I don't think there's any major flaws with arrmas 3s line, and I wouldn't rule out the big rock. The slipper issue is an easy fix. I do think the 6s line is far superior but financial limitations are what they are. I have a couple 3s sentons (which I like far better than the slash when you consider the price) and a 3s Granite. All been great.

I would also strongly recommend the Rival MT10. That was my wife's first basher and that truck is tough. I have 20 or so RC's and the MT10 has required the least amount of repairs of the bunch. I've heard the MT8 is not as reliable but have no personal experience on that one.

I agree, save the money and get something better.
Another suggestion and this is what I would do,
I would buy a couple used rollers and build away.
If it were for myself I would do this as that seems most rewarding
But we're looking for a quick fix for my son mainly
The truck I bought hom was trash can on wheels so need to get him something fun
I'm already saving for a few for myself a toy lol, (a felony or an infraction i believe)
I'm leaning to the mt10, I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it really, much appreciation on the help

If it were for myself I would do this as that seems most rewarding
But we're looking for a quick fix for my son mainly
The truck I bought hom was trash can on wheels so need to get him something fun
I'm already saving for a few for myself a toy lol, (a felony or an infraction i believe)
I'm leaning to the mt10, I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it really, much appreciation on the help
I've never own the MT10 but I've been eyeballing it. I would much rather build it piece by piece though.
The search is half the fun.