HallowPoint RC Exhaust Stud kit review.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmahh

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
HollowPoint RC Exhaust Stud kit review.

Hello again all. Today, I want to share my thoughts on the Hallow Point RC exhaust stud kit.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.7221/.f

As you can see, the kit is pretty complete. you get 2 Allen (hex) head studs, 4 nuts, 2 lock washers and 2 nice quality exhaust gaskets should you use an Xport or similar exhuast extension port.
so for 12.00 not a bad buy at all.
DSCN6259.jpg

The kit is pretty self explanitory. Install the studs into the exhaust bolt holes, leaving approximatly 3/4s of an in to 1 inch exposed out the back. I strongly recommend use some Permatex HighTemp Gasket maker, over Red Locktite as a thread lock medium. When Dry the gasket maker doesn't liquify at the HIGH Exhaust temps, and loose its grip on the threads of the studs or botls. So, it holds much better for the exhaust studs.

Once your studs are set, then just install your header or pipe with one of the new exhaust gaskets (or both if your using and Xport say with a rear Dom pipe) between the exhaust port and the header/pipe. Slip on a lock washer on each stud behind the header/pipe, and then one nut on each side. Snug the Nuts up using an 8mm open end wrench on the nut, and a ball end allen key in the hex on the stud itsef, then install the 2nd nut. When installing the studs, be sure the allen wrench hole is not the side installed into the cylinder. You need this side exposed to hold it into place, when you snug up the 1st nut.

You will need a 2nd 8mm wrenche to do the finale nut tightening. Put the 1st 8mm wrench on the 1st nut installed and finish to tighten it into place. Now because you have a 2nd nut, you want to be sure not to OVERtighten the 1st nut, just get it Nice and Snug, then hold it in place with the wrench so it doesn't spin. Take the 2nd 8mm wrench, and now tighten the 2nd nut against the first. YOU MUST Hold the 1st nut from spinning while tightening up the 2nd nut against it. if you dont, you risk the chance of either stretching the studs, or pulling it from the threads in the cylinder, ruining your stud thread in the cylinder itself.

Hold the 1st nut, and lock the 2nd nut TIGHT to the 1st. Repeat on the other side.

Let the High Temp Gasket Maker cure for 12 hrs before use.

I have had one set of these installed for about a gallon or so now. They have been very good, all but flawless with one exception. On my last run, I brang the Baja over for a good look over. Needed to double check everything. I was kind of surprised when I looked down and seen one stud was gone. Lost on the track. Now, this may seem bad, and usually it is, BUT the 1st set of stud/nuts was still installed, and just as tight as it was when I installed it, which ment, even though I did lose one side, the other side kept the pipe TIGHT on the cylinder. I was pretty sure I had tightened up both sides, but its possible i forgot to tighten the one side fully, or the stud backed out of the cylidner. I'm sure if I were to find the stud setup on the track, both nuts would be locked tight together on the stud.

This is no way a negative against the stud kit itself, just a proven fact you need to use High Temp Gasket Maker as a thread locker.

So, This is why I Highly recommend the Permatex High Temp Gasket Maker as a thread locker. Due to the Extremely high heat of the exhaust port area ( exhaust gasses run into the 1200* F range) that locktite (even red) doesn't really hold well. The gasket maker drys like a caulk, so it doesn't liquify and run off, even at extreme temps.

Overall, this is a nice kit, and if your loosing exhaust bolts like many of us have, this kit can help releive that problem. Just be sure to use the thread locker on the studs, and lock the nuts togehter well.

It is much easier to install the nuts and get the nuts tightened up with this stud kit, even with pipes like the JP Dual bleed or the Side Dom ect., where the pipe header is typically in the way for exhaust bolt installation. You install the stud first, then the pipe, and spin on the nuts. plenty of room to work a small 8mm wrench to get them nice and tight, and keep them that way.

Some pics installed on my Hooters Baja with the VRC Side Pipe, non Pro, Unsilenced.

DSCN6255.jpg

DSCN6251.jpg

DSCN6252.jpg

I have another set here I will be installing on MG with the CPI BB pipe soon as well.
Nice package Soup. This is a nice simple to use kit that is pretty much self expanitory. Only suggestion I can offer is to include a small sheet, recommending the use of the High Temp Gasket Maker as a thread locker on the studs when installing into the cylinder.

Thanx for allowing me to test and use this nice lil Kit Soup. It is well worth the cost and use imo.
Timmahh

I love the stud idea, alot easier to take off the exhaust..:thumbup1:

As with any allen type thread setup, just needs a bit of the HT Red Permatex to hold the studs from viborations, so they dont loosen up. This is where a true stud would work best as you would just tighten the stud into the exhaust threads and be done.

always wondered about the stud kit, like what's holding the studs in :)

might have to go back to the oldeskool wiring of the nuts to stop them vibrating loose

once you put a small bit of the red high temp permatex on the cylinder side, its golden. after taking a closer look, it would appear i just forgot to use the permatex on that side. as there was no signs of it when i got home and took a closer look. Doh.

so that just shows a small dab of permatex rocks as i DID put some on the other stud.