Got myself an HPI Baja 5B today!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might have eaten a little bit of something in there. But hey, if it still has good compression and runs....it's a good engine.

I agree with Joey... It might not be the prettiest engine in terms of use, if the engine is running fine then I'd continue to use it.

If it's still running and has good power, it's all good. Not much you can do about the wear at this point.

What ratio fuel/oil are you using?

Nice to know guys! I'll use the current setup for awhile longer... I must say that DDM has great customer service and pretty fast response time. I was asking Brad over there some questions and I have decided to get the Race Ported cylinder and piston kit to match the crank. At $90 it will breath new life into the engine and give me some time to get body and drive train parts upgraded for a bigger better motor!

On my upgrade motor I think I'm going to go for a "Wildchild" motor at Dog Pile Racing! They seem to have good pricing and I have read quite a few good things about there motors!

If I had my choice of an easy drop in engine for my Baja I would go with the O'Neill Brothers Full Mod Zenoah 4 Bolt 27.2cc +3mm LONG ROD Engine....a little 7.5Hp gem to putt the Baja around with. I am running a top end they did for me and my 28.5cc walks all over the 30.5 ESP big bore a buddy bought. I just like the personal service I got from Sean and Paul too.

27cclongrodhp.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at the O'Neill Brother motors and yeah they are badass but alot more power than I need for my Baja. As the current motor I have stands I'm satisfied with the power and well I won't ever use it for more than bashing. If I ever do get into racing or something then that may be something I would go with. Thanks for the info though!

Last edited:
Since anyplace I would race requires the use of the stock 5T can, I have been using the stock CY26 in my 5T. More power does not mean jack if I can't get it around the track clean. I do finally have enough in my PayPay account for the stock G290RC. I am waiting for it to be featured in Dave's Deal of the Day. I will then pop and do an engine swap.

The only use I would have for a full mod motor is something I would run at the beach which is probably what I am going to do with my basher 5B that is just collecting dust. When this happens, I would either use a Dogpile or OBR.

Last edited:
I guess I'm crazy running the stock 23cc and exhaust in mine.

Stock 23cc gets the job done.

Are you using the original 5B can or the 5T can?

Yeah I'm thinking of going with the Dog Pile Durability 29.5 Zenoah. If not I'll go for the next step up with the Wild Child ported 29.5...

I'm not sure if OBR does the same stuff as Dog Pile either which would be why I would choose DPR over OBR. They do the oil hole and third bearing mod along with better bearings and lapping the cases. So therefore I'm getting a longer lasting more durable motor over just a straight powerhouse.

The Durability is a nice engine and well worth the step up from box stock.

The stock 5b can. It's still plenty quick enough for me.

Yeah I'm thinking of going with the Dog Pile Durability 29.5 Zenoah. If not I'll go for the next step up with the Wild Child ported 29.5...

I'm not sure if OBR does the same stuff as Dog Pile either which would be why I would choose DPR over OBR. They do the oil hole and third bearing mod along with better bearings and lapping the cases. So therefore I'm getting a longer lasting more durable motor over just a straight powerhouse.

The $$ in my Paypay account was stating to smolder and I got tired of waiting for the stock Zenoah to be put up on the DDM deal of the day again so I pulled the trigger on the Durability complete. I had just enough in the account after the 5% off code.

I really like the personal service that Dogpile offers and I really like supporting the little guys of the Baja world. I have read nothing but good things about him.

Ordered yesterday and already received notice of shipping via Priority Mail. It will be in my hands by Monday.

Looking forward to running this engine.

Last edited:
The $$ in my Paypay account was stating to smolder and I got tired of waiting for the stock Zenoah to be put up on the DDM deal of the day again so I pulled the trigger on the Durability complete. I had just enough in the account after the 5% off code.

I really like the personal service that Dogpile offers and I really like supporting the little guys of the Baja world. I have read nothing but good things about him.

Ordered yesterday and already received notice of shipping via Priority Mail. It will be in my hands by Monday.

Looking forward to running this engine.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the engine. ;)

Big congrats Rob, that's awesome man. Bob is a great guy, he even went as far as listing out a step by step on how to build up a budget four bolt setup, complete with parts list for me over at HBF via PM. He never tried to sell me anything, just free advice from a master engine builder. Needless to say, when the time comes.....

I finally got my top end kit from DDM! I got the Race Ported 35mm Big Bore kit for +2mm stroker!

Also got new bearings, seals, engine shroud and a new fan cover (other one is broke)! All this will be going into the engine today but unfortunately I can't drive the dang thing until I get this mornings order in....

Two days ago I hit a dirt clod at full speed and it skipped the gears inside the steering servo and bent the driverside turnbuckle. So that means new upgrades!

I picked up IRP turnbuckles, 5755MG (Rhino) servo, PA servo bracket, FFRC aluminum servo clamps, FFRC extended shock cups. I also threw in the FFRC fuel line upgrade kit and FFRC axle caps!

DSC01426.gif

Looking good.

Clearly the Baja bug has bitten you.

Looking good.

Clearly the Baja bug has bitten you.

Oh you can say that again! lol The list keeps growing for stuff to buy for the Baja. I'm excited to see what HPI is about to release, and the Losi 5ive truck looks sweet too just a little higher than I wanna spend.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my nitro stuff.....I enjoy driving them when they are not breaking or having tuning issues...That and I got so much work in the Revo and I have put tons of money into the Maxx I know I won't get close to what I have spent on either. I took my Revo out the other day for a run and for some reason the engine temps would not stay down even with the carb set back to stock and then turned out some more...I gotta pull it apart and look at it.

Oil Hole Mod

Just got done performing the oilhole mod on my crankcase thanks to the help of Bob over at DPR!

Came out pretty nice, I also took my dremel and polished up the inside of the case and around the gasket, oil seal and bearing areas.

DSC01431.gif

DSC01429.gif

DSC01427.gif

Well I got the motor put back together but I was still waiting on the order of parts from DDM....

DSC01438.gif

DSC01437.gif

Those finally came in and I got the Baja put back together!

IMG_0865.jpg

DSC01463.gif

DSC01464.gif

DSC01465.gif

DSC01466.gif

DSC01467.gif

DSC01468.gif

DSC01469.gif

DSC01461.gif

DSC01462.gif

Took it out today to break in the motor, ran a full tank with varied throttle and short pulls on the throttle holding at about 3-5 seconds per pull. Halfway through the first tank I leaned the LSN out a tad as the motor wanted to start dieing. Tank was done and I let it cool down completely at BDC.

Second tank started up and I leaned the LSN out a tad more, again varying the throttle for about half the tank and the motor started really coming to life. The end of the second tank I performance tuned it and these are the results!

th_BajaJumping.jpg

th_BajaWOTpass.jpg

I invited my sister to come out and let her get some time in on the remote...Well she ran into a big rock and broke the rod end of the turnbuckle... Guess these are not as indestructible as I thought they would be lol...I already ordered the "Basher" ends from DDM with an overnight order hoping to get this back together before I got to work...I'm gonna take it with me while I am out there on the rig.

th_Bajabrokentierod.jpg

DSC01470.gif