Got my new X1-CRT today!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dooley

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just got home from school tonite,and picked up my X1-CRT Pro Kit from my local LHS.I cannot wait to get started tomorrow on my first 1/8th scale.Now I just need to get a radio,and engine for it.Any recommendations on .21 ?? I know the Novarossi p5 and the RB are top picks but what about the OS .21 V?I know that I want a .21 so I can have longer run times.I do plan to start to race it and practice with it on a local track around here.I have read Untchbl's thread and it was a big deciding factor in my purchase,so thx for all the info.I know I should just go read the thread again,but I am lazy ass so help me out.Thanks!:thumbsup:

I would go with a bigger mill in a Truggy.. Might want to look into a .28 - .30

If you race at a track that goes by ROAR or Pro-Series rules you need to stay under the .28 limit. I have a P5X on my LSP and ran it for the first time on track this weekend. My day was plagued with problems but nothing from the mill, it had almost too much power for the track. When you say the OS .21, I'm going to assume you mean the V-spec.

Engine choices

ZANDOR said:
Here is a strong mill...I have never run it..But I will stand behind All RB mills

Well, I have - still breaking it in and "Awesome!" sums that engine up.
Throttle repsonse is unreal, very strong on the bottom and revs up very quickly indeed.
I've just ordered a Vantage CF pipe for it.

ZANDOR's right though, RB Engines are fantastic, I run one on my buggy too

Last edited:
jetmechG550 said:
If you race at a track that goes by ROAR or Pro-Series rules you need to stay under the .28 limit. I have a P5X on my LSP and ran it for the first time on track this weekend. My day was plagued with problems but nothing from the mill, it had almost too much power for the track. When you say the OS .21, I'm going to assume you mean the V-spec.
Yes the V-spec is what I am refering too,however after searching and reading it would appear that I should just put my money into a RB or Nova P5.I am going to my LHS today and see what they have,hopefully I come home today with some more goodies.I will post pics later,thanks.

Hey Dooly,

Congrats man on the new rig! I got mine at the end of January and man let me tell you it was cool. Take your time on the build and enjoy it. All the parts fit together nicely and the whole truck comes together very quickly. It is a great kit.

I agree with Imbroken on the mill choice. That is a big truck and if you do not have to race by ROAR standards I would go with a .28 or .30 size mill. The .21 is a strong mill, but the bigger mills just seem to give you that low end grunt just a bit better. I am running an O.S. .30 in mine and let me tell you it is a pretty nice mill. Great low end and massive top end. In fact a buddy of mine that runs an LSP ran a .21 V-Spec last year and this year he upped it to the .30. This is all just my opinion of course. The other mills mentioned in this thread are top notch and will work well for you too. Some of those mills can get pricey though. The .30 is under $300 and it suited my needs. May not work for some. Anyway I just wanted to give you my :2cents: worth. LOL if you have any questions on the build give me a shout. I also have a thread under the members projects showing the build from start to finish.

Another suggestion for you if I may... Don't skimp out on the steering servo... I almost did and I am glad I didn't. The CRT needs a very fast and very strong servo to work properly. I have seen guys strip out steering servos quickly in the Truggy class.

Take care my friend and good luck on the build, and have fun.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks alot Tom,

I will take all of your suggestions into account and let you know my results.I have thought about it for a long time,and now that I have the truck itself I can think of all the other items.I just read your build thread and am even more anxious!!!Thanks again,

~Scott

Last edited:
No problem man. I just wanted to give you some tips that helped me out. Try and help you not make the same mistakes I did. Good luck with the build man. Take lots of pics!

Tom

Tom,
Any upgrades or mods you would recommend?I would prefer to put them on now as to get it out of the way.

Dooley said:
Tom,
Any upgrades or mods you would recommend?I would prefer to put them on now as to get it out of the way.

The only mods, I made were...

I enlarged the holes on the clutch shoes so that they were not on the pegs so tight. It alows the clutch to engage faster.

I also ditched the orange rubber shock scrapers and put a set of Ofna shock boots on. They are the same boots that go on the X1 CR.

I sealed my carbon fibre edges with some thin ca ana a qtip.

The only other upgrades I installed was the chassis Z-Brace and a rear skid plate from DACE.

I have heard of some people opting to go with the new one piece motor mount instead of the chassis brace though.

Other than that the truck is pretty much hoped up right out of the box. You do not need to do to much to it.

I am running I am running 5 10 3 weight diff oil and 45wt shock oil in the front and 55 in the back.

Take care.

Tom

Crt

The CRT build is great, by far one of the best quality kits I've ever put together.
The build is basically done in stages consisting of front end, rear end and center, then you drop these onto the chassis and the rest all comes together.
Take your time, I built mine over 3 days. I also used quality Mugen and GS shock and diff oils. I run 10-30-7 in my diffs.
My steering servo is a SANWA ERG-VB and my throttle/brake Servo is a Futaba S3305 (Exactly the same as the Ofna SX-0002)
Enjoy the build process and keep us informed :¬)

Thanks all I have made all my purchases,except for my motor which is on order.
Here is the list:

Motor= OS .30VG on order be in Thursday afternoon!!:banana:
Radio/Reciever=Spektrum DX2
Steering servo=z9000s
Throttle servo=z8800t
Pipe=Jammin' JP1 for now may switch pipes later
I plan to run 40 wt. AE Oil up front and 50 wt AE oil out back on the shocks,as for the diffs I am gonna start with F=5k ,C=10k,R=3k Mugen Oils

I chose the OS .30VG based on the size of the truck and the need for torque,also it is an affordable engine.I will begin to save for yet another engine later once the build is complete.This truck is friggin breakin the bank and I figure I can count on an OS to be a reliable amount of power at a decent price to save me a few bucks for now.Thanks all for the input,I will post pics as the build begins as soon as I finish this post.I will start a project thread so that I can post my progress for all to see.Thanks in advance for any questions I may have and have already asked!!

~Scott

Last edited:
So after almost finishing the front,I ran into my first obstacle.The swaybar ball end the bar slides into and you tighten with a setscrew has NO threads.Hopefully the LHS has one,The other one was fine and all is close to being done on the front.So far so good,excellent quality on the kit.I will post pics and move my updates over to member builds tomorrow.

Congrats my friend. You will enjoy it, and once built you will have a great truck. You basically have the same setup as I do. We have different servos and out and the diff and shock set up is a bit different as well. I have mine set up for my local track though. Good luck and enjoy. The .30 will not dissapoint. It is pretty easy to break in depending on your experience. ( me... I learned alot in the break in of this mill) It also has gobs of power to spare. Also unlike alot of the OS higher end mills, this mill IS covered under O.S.'s 2 year warranty. Take care.

Tom

Thanks Tom,
I may end up changing the diff oils later depending on the conditions,I do need to study up on this.I am anxious to see the .30 in action!!

You will not be dissapointed, I promise you that. You have a very fine and very capable RC and one of the best on the market.

Tom

Hey Tom,
Which throttle linkage did you use A or B?It seems B is more solid,but I am just curious which you used and how you like it.Or anyone else that has built a CRT too.

Thanks,
~Scott