Good battery charger for ignitors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most 2.4ghz radio kits have a built in fail safe ( unless you bind a 6ch receiver like me ) then you need a dedicated one all thats needed is to read the manual and set it up
Actually, most of the 2.4 GHz aircraft stuff that I've seen has a built-in fail-safe. I know that all of my Spektrum as well a the JR and Futaba radios I've seen have one.

Actually, most of the 2.4 GHz aircraft stuff that I've seen has a built-in fail-safe. I know that all of my Spektrum as well a the JR and Futaba radios I've seen have one.

the reason i said most was because the flysky fs-R6B i have in my savage does not have one annoyingly,

I'm not well versed in aircraft receivers the only 6ch receivers i have are both fs-R6B one is in my helicopter and the other in my savage i just know most 2.4ghz gear for ground (non flying) vehicles should have a built in fail safe,

considering a flysky 3ch receiver costs less than £5/$8 and has one built in there is not really an excuse from manufacturers not to have one

I'm actually gonna bunp this thread. I finally have money to buy the charger and adapter cables.

Now i can use ebay but is there a store i should consider when buying all these items, somewhere that sells everything i need?

Also I'm a battery noob, so maybe i should get a charger that can charge all types of batteries?

Like i cab start buying chargeable AAs or AAAs if i buy the cables for the batteries?

Last edited:
I actually have a couple chargers that my stuff camr with, not sure if theyre even worth messing with.

0827161942.jpg

0827161942a.jpg

0827161942b.jpg

I actually have a couple chargers that my stuff camr with, not sure if theyre even worth messing with.

0827161942.jpg

0827161942a.jpg

0827161942b.jpg

Those mechanical chargers are cool ,they put the charge in the battery with out detection an triggering
some stupid sensor!....:D

But I don't think you need all of those chargers ,it all depends on what type of batts. you will be using for your
receiver & transmitter., Some people use a 6 volt pack for the receiver in the ride ,I use a combination in different
vehicles.
I only use 1 battery charger with my ni-cads with plug adapter!...I use rechargeable AA's energizers for my transmitter.
an some of my rides which is plenty of juice for a day outing for me!..:cool:

i use a turnigy accucel 6 80w charger and bought a 5AMP laptop powersuppy to power it, i had to change the laptop charger end to a xt60 plug but I've had no issues
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbykin..._6_80W_10A_Balancer_Charger_LiHV_Capable.html

i use it for my lipo and nimh batteries

i made a xt60 to futaba to charge my hump packs but you could just buy this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futaba-Pl...497552?hash=item4d3af32ed0:g:~VsAAOSwQoFWPNQM

bought one of these to charge the glow driver
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glow-Plug...na-Plugs-RC-Helicoptor-Car-Boat-/272099455723

i also soldered a female xt60 cable to my transmitter battery tray of my GT3B and have the cable poking out the side of the transmitter handle to charge it

using the charger i can see the current voltage, battery resistance set timers etc
The charger its self, if i hook up a usb cable to it, will my computer act as the power supply and charge my batteries?

So my tracking info says my charger has arrived at my house, hopefully I have a power supply at home I can use with it to start charging stuff tonight

So my tracking info says my charger has arrived at my house, hopefully I have a power supply at home I can use with it to start charging stuff tonight

I'm sure you will like using that charger,

if your confidant in your soldering skills you can just solder a 15v 5a laptop charger to a xt60 male plug to power it like shown in a pic i posted just make sure you have the polarity the correct way around

I'm sure you will like using that charger,

if your confidant in your soldering skills you can just solder a 15v 5a laptop charger to a xt60 male plug to power it like shown in a pic i posted just make sure you have the polarity the correct way around
I hooked up a printer power supply to it. 16v DC I think it only rated 1amp but it has worked fine. But I have to set parameters otherwise it will overcharge my NiCd batteries. Already did it a couple times.

I made a three about it titled charger confusion. But I do like the charger now that I kinda know how it works.

In not sure how far to discharge the batteries when using that feature though.

I wish there was more I could offer you for info. Obviously I don't own that unit, not charge single cells or nicads... I'm glad to hear that you're learning more about the charger and are starting to get into its capabilities!!! It's a very capable unit and I'm sure it will serve you well. I would Def recommend thinking about a power supply with a higher amp output tho. Good luck!!!:D

I wish there was more I could offer you for info. Obviously I don't own that unit, not charge single cells or nicads... I'm glad to hear that you're learning more about the charger and are starting to get into its capabilities!!! It's a very capable unit and I'm sure it will serve you well. I would Def recommend thinking about a power supply with a higher amp output tho. Good luck!!!:D
Everyone seems to recommend charging slower than 1 amp anyways :) but when the time comes I'll upgrade.

I tried a laptop charger we had laying around put it produced 18.8volts which is .8volts too high :/

I understand what you are saying, but if you apply ohms law to what you are trying to do, figure in for just a little bit of extra amp draw for the charger itself, heat loss etc...and there is VERY little power left to actually do the charging... Staying under an amp will help but you're really pushing it if you take the time to do the math. (just so you know). 12v power supplies aren't too expensive depending on what you get but they are out there... Just figure that IF (i know you only have small bats now) but IF you go to larger bats, your charger could easily be damaged as well as your batteries.
Just some thoughts
As always, good luck!

I see what you're saying now, I'll see if I can come up with a better power supply!

I appreciate the help

Any time! Higher amps and closer to 12v as possible to make it "friendly" to your charger. Your thanks and the responses you give back help,me to better understand too... So it all works out!:thumbs-up:

the charger can take between 12/18v i use 15v 5amp roughly 85W seems to be a good middle ground and more than enough to charge most batteries

while charging my glow drivers it detects the voltage and slowly increases it until the cell is at peak voltage usually around 1.5v

so on screen charging my single cell i see this yours should be similar
NIMH 1.0A 1.xxV
CHG 005:45 00400

in order you should see from left to right
battery type - NIMH
charge current in my case 1.0A
current charging/cell voltage
program - charging/discharging etc depending what type of battery and program selected
elapsed time
amount of mah into the cell approx

what voltage does it show when charging your glow driver a fresh charged nicd/nimh cell is roughly 1.45 to 1.55v
also the charger will beep when charging is completed

the charger can take between 12/18v i use 15v 5amp roughly 85W seems to be a good middle ground and more than enough to charge most batteries

while charging my glow drivers it detects the voltage and slowly increases it until the cell is at peak voltage usually around 1.5v

so on screen charging my single cell i see this yours should be similar
NIMH 1.0A 1.xxV
CHG 005:45 00400

in order you should see from left to right
battery type - NIMH
charge current in my case 1.0A
current charging/cell voltage
program - charging/discharging etc depending what type of battery and program selected
elapsed time
amount of mah into the cell approx

what voltage does it show when charging your glow driver a fresh charged nicd/nimh cell is roughly 1.45 to 1.55v
also the charger will beep when charging is completed

I've don't remember for sure but I've seen the voltage probably around 1.6 or slightly higher, but I watch them the entire time and check to see how hot the battery is by hand.

Like i said before it did put 1800mah into a 1600 mah battery and that one got a little hot, that was because I forgot to watch it, I think I was charging at 1.6 amps on Auto mode. Which I guess would be 1C, but now I just charge around 1 amp and keep an eye on it. I've only used it a few times still.

Waiting on a savage x to ship to me and also a sleeve to get repinched for my HPI MT1.

I'm excited though!

I'm sorry to write here as the topic is old enough but I need a Good battery charger, any help!