Getting old tires off rims

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david41990

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I am changing the old tires off my rims they are wayyyy tooo old lol but the hard part is taking them off is there a easy way to do this cause theres like big chunks of tire on the rim still??

search engine is your friend, but there are two ways of doing it. one way is to bake the the tires at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. this will make the glue all gooey and let you peel the rubber from the rim. another way is to use denatured alcohol..a syringe works well to drop around the bead of the tire

You might not want to use the baking, sometimes your old rims melt.

if you do bake, your house will smell pretty bad for a while.

Acetone if you don't care about the finish on the rim and the foams. Didn't appear to hurt the tires or the plastic rims. I recently removed 12 t-maxx tires and 2 1/10 tires with acetone.

I just got a little pan big enough for the tires to lay in, then put in enough acetone to cover the bead on one side. I covered the tin with saran wrap (or that stuff that sticks to bowls that isn't saran wrap) and let it sit overnight. The tire would pretty much fall off the rim the next morning, then I'd flip the rim and let it soak during the day while at work and take the other side off when I got home.

Takes quite a bit of time, but worked really well. Didn't damage one tire or rim and all the glue comes off both. It dissolves, which is why the foams get ruined as they soak up the acetone/glue slurry and when they dry, they are as hard as a rock.

I've tried baking/boiling... neither worked nearly as consistently. I also tried the CA remover gel... but it took forever and left a gooey mess on the rims and tires I had to clean off. It worked, but I had to repeatedly apply the stuff over the course of a day as it would dry up.

I have heard of boiling them in a large pot.....I have not tried it myself.....OR if it is a 2.2 rim.. I put it on my Jato 3.3 and it pulls them off the rim quite nicely.....=devil

thanks some good suggestions, I have read that putting them in the over would be a good idea but i also did think about my house smelling. Plus I dont really want my mom being like wtf are you doing putting that in the oven Ill have to do it when shes not here :d

HEY JOEY. Now THATS the entertaining way to do it.
10 points

I've baked, boiled, beat, and cursed tires off the rims.. the baking is the best I've found. it will nakd your house smell like rubber for a bit but it maked the CA glue brittle and the tires pop right off. I've also noticed while stripping the chrome off a set that greased lighting softens up the glue. but it takes awhile.

the boling in the water dosnt work that well i would go with the acetone

i just removed 40 series crime fighters from 40 series wabash rims-i used the boiling method-got um off ebay for cheap-but the idiot i bought um from opened up the air holes to like 1/2 inch wide-rocks and dirt took over inside-so i tryed boiling them-it worked but u gotta leave them in the water for over 5 minutes-i used rubber gloves andwinter gloves over the rubber ones-i held just the bead in the water-not to hot either-then i got 40 series molded foams cause the reg. foams were just saturated with dirt-used hot glue to fill in the big holes and re-drilled new ones opposite the big holes and glued them right-alotta work to save them but its cheaper then 80 bucks for a new set oftires and rims.

I just used the boil method and it worked well. I did one at a time and let them boil for 10 min on each side. they all just popped right off. There was one that had a 2 in. spot that was still stuck so i just put it back in for 10 mins on that side and it came right off. :D

For 2 bucks at your local hobby shop they have stuff called debonder....Its just like acetone and removes the glue fast to remove the tires from the rims without ripping..

I recently discovered that nitro fuel removes all glue on my wheels, racing and suddenly the rubber comes off, not good lol. if all else fails try it out

acetone in a coffee can works the best! and leave it in over nite and off they come JT