First timer in Nitro trucks.. set me on the right path?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tofik0

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
about 6 years ago i messed around with a nitro truck but i have no idea what kind or model it was.. so its safe to say I'm a newbie to nitro trucks

now I'm aboutto turn 20 and have some extra cash and want to get into nitro trucks for good

i can't decide between the savage x 4.6 and the Tmaxx 3.3

I'm leaning towards the savage but it has a higher startup cost from the tmaxx i understand.. but i do hear that it is much tougher when it comes to bashing.. thats all it will be..no hi tech racer just good ol messing around in the back yard or at some construction site..

so tell me Roughly whats the start up cost for a savage 4.6? with everything i need sadly i dont have any of my old nitro stuff so i need to start from square one

Thanks Guys, Happy Holidays!

The t-maxx comes with a receiver pack, stick pack for the ez-start and a charger that I believe charges both.

From a durability and raw power aspect, I'd go with the savage. For ease of use out of the box, I'd go with a revo. This day in age, I see no reason to even bother with a t-maxx. Old design that was weak 5+ years ago and is weak today.

To run the savage you will need:
1) glow heater (preferably rechargeable)
2) receiver pack, not necessary, but a much better way to go.
3) Stick pack for the roto starter
4) charger for both

For either, I'd recommend the heater, so that's kind of a wash.

Required for both:
1) AA's for transmitter
2) Spare glow plugs
3) Fuel
4) Fuel bottle

I'd go with a revo. This day in age, I see no reason to even bother with a t-maxx. Old design that was weak 5+ years ago and is weak today
I second that Olds the better money is spent on the Revo if you are buying Traxxas. I can't believe that they haven't updated the platform to compete w/ the other MT's.

Tofic0 The Savage X 4.6 and the Tmaxx 3.3 are about the same cost out of the box and that Savage will outbash the Tmaxx all day long, I own both rigs so I have done some homework:D Plus the two trucks aren't even a fair comparison, the Savage is 1/8th scale and the tmaxx is 1/10.

I second that Olds the better money is spent on the Revo if you are buying Traxxas. I can't believe that they haven't updated the platform to compete w/ the other MT's.

Tofic0 The Savage X 4.6 and the Tmaxx 3.3 are about the same cost out of the box and that Savage will outbash the Tmaxx all day long, I own both rigs so I have done some homework:D Plus the two trucks aren't even a fair comparison, the Savage is 1/8th scale and the tmaxx is 1/10.

cool thanks for the info.. how much runtime do you get out of a full tank of fuel in the savage?

Here's what you're looking at:

Savage X RTR (since you're starting from scratch, and are ok with the AM radio - which is just fine for most bashing, unless you get a lot of interference).

I just got into a savage this summer & here's an estimate at what you're looking at. These are rough online prices, and very close to my LHS

Item Savage T-max 3.3
Truck RTR ~ 400 ~ 400
Receiver pk ~ 15-20 ~ 15-20 (well worth the $$ instead of AAs)
Starter batt ~ 15-20 Included
Charger ~ 40-50 ~ 40-50 (multi purpose for all types of batts)
Glow heater ~ 20-25 ~ 20-25(for a decent recahrgeable with meter)
Gallon of fuel ~ 26 ~ 26 (LHS price Odonnel 25%)
Fuel Bottle ~ 5-7 ~ 5-7
Spare glow plug ~ 5 ~ 5

sorry, the columns did not work out, but I had the price listed under the first column for the Savage & one for the Traxxas

This would get you out the door with a pretty good package. Then you'll probbly want a tackle box with some tools in it, but that holds true with Both. & you may want to add a failsafe as well (i still need to do that).

As for the battery charger, you can buy a charger that charges everything from NIcads, NiMh, to Lipos & spend anything from $40-200. I personally bought one for my helis that did everything a few years back & it's worked flawlessly. All you need to do is make the leads for the different thigns you're going to charge, or buy them.

For the savvy, I'd also higly recommend the receiver pack. I picked up a 1600 t-energy for about $15 at my LHS, and it was torquier than duracells in the receiver pack. You can run for a while without charging it. I put about 1/2 a gallon through one afternoon & it was still running fine.

I can only speak for the savage but it is for sure one tough truck.

If you're going to buy local & have a good hobby shop, ask one of the guys there what they can work you on a package deal, my LHS can often beat or at least match online prices, but you have to pay tax (which is less than shipping in some cases), but they are really helpful, so I typically buy from them any ways

I hope my savvy brothers don't shoot me for this,:\ but while at the hobby shop today, I took a look at the new Losi limited edition aftershock, & for about $30 less than the savage & t-maxx, it looked like a pretty nice truck & easy to work on. It also includes a spectrum radio & receiver pack. The owner of the LHS said that the savage is still what all the others are compared to for bashing, but the limited losi is a pretty nice truck, handles better than the savage, but is still not quite as durable as the savage, but he likes his (Losi) for the handling. He also mentioned they worked out the bugs with this and pointed out the dual steering servos. He sells everything, but I asked him how he'd rank them for bashing - first was the savage line, then the Losi line, then the traxxas products.

Maybe I wrote too much..............:whhooo:

Last edited:
i have the savage x and u usally get 20-30 minutes as run time

i have the savage x and u usally get 20-30 minutes as run time
Whaaaaat? 20-30 minutes out of a Savage? Come on now...How big of a tank you have on there? I have never got more than 10 out of a Savy.

But anyway The Savage is a way tougher rig than he T-Maxx for sure. I like my Revo too but I just love the Savage....tough as hell.

Run time and noise is where the savage looses out. Regardless of "run time", but rather time per gallon. The small block engines run longer on a gallon than the big block engines. Also, they can be quite a bit quieter. That is partially the reason I'm looking for a small block MT again.

I've also found that when it's cold (below 40F) that small blocks are much easier to run. I think big block engines have too much surface area to retain their heat well, or they don't heat up as quick when cooled off by snow. I forgot about that until the other day. Running my savage with a "winter" engine in it (spare weak engine I have) and tune was all over the place. Then I fired up my jato and once I got the tune right, it ran much better for a good hour straight.

about 6 years ago i messed around with a nitro truck but i have no idea what kind or model it was.. so its safe to say I'm a newbie to nitro trucks

now I'm aboutto turn 20 and have some extra cash and want to get into nitro trucks for good

i can't decide between the savage x 4.6 and the Tmaxx 3.3

I'm leaning towards the savage but it has a higher startup cost from the tmaxx i understand.. but i do hear that it is much tougher when it comes to bashing.. thats all it will be..no hi tech racer just good ol messing around in the back yard or at some construction site..

so tell me Roughly whats the start up cost for a savage 4.6? with everything i need sadly i dont have any of my old nitro stuff so i need to start from square one

Thanks Guys, Happy Holidays!

I didn't get any of that stuff with my 4908 in march of 09. 4 aa battery holder, it had no steering power.

Get a savage

the savage is pretty loud though

Savage or T-Maxx or Revo - I've owned all three...
I love my Savage, enjoy the Revo, and the T-Maxx collects dust.
If your choice is between a Savage and a T-Maxx, it's no contest - Savage all the way.

Between a Savage and a Revo - no matter which you choose it's a win/win situation.
Both are great trucks and they are easy to work on.
(Between the three I find the T-Maxx to be the difficult one to completely tear/down and rebuild.)

I recommend the Savage - especially if you're bashing - it's one tough truck.

Ya know I have to chime in here. I recommend the revo let me tell you why I recommend a revo. First of all hands down the quality and ingenuity that was put into the thing is insane. If you can pick up the revo3.3 I would say go for it. It comes with just about everything you will need to get started. Came with receiver battery and charger, came with fuel bottle, spare tools and a stick pack for their easy start. I gotta say that for the money the revo is honestly the way to go.

Now I currently have owned two savage trucks and have had a savage in the past. I will tell you hands down you will get way more run time out of a revo than a savage it seems in my opinion. Savage always seems to break some part that no one has in stock and have to order parts for. Both of my savages are currently in pieces waiting on parts that went bad. Plus sides to a savage though is they are one hell of a tough truck. If it is a sheer money stand point that you are coming at it from than get the revo 3.3 it comes with most everything you will need in the box. Only thing you will need to get is a gallon of fuel, 8AA battery's and a couple of spare glow plugs.

Question for the comments about the savage being loud. Has anyone tried putting the optional baffle in the exhaust, & if so, is it much quieter ?

Mine is still in the box, as the noise does not really bother me that much.

Big blocks in general are loud compared to small block rigs. With the right pipe, you can deaden the noise of a big block quite a bit though.

Ok I will throw up my .02

I have owned the TMAXX before it was "Updated/Upgraded", Savage 25 before the next updates. ALso the Revo 3.3 and the Team Losi LST.

To say the least:

TMAXX broke bulkheads too often and ran unstable.

Savage was a great platform. The TVP's are cumbersome but it is a strong basher and big block ready.

Revo is another great platform. I wanted to go Big Block but to do so it needed upgrades in its driveline to handle the additional power from more stronger engines.

The last is the LST. I love this truck. Most will say there are weak points in it but EVERY truck does. I think this is the best basher. IMO upgrading a few things like the chassis rails, adding a roll bar, better servos and a good tune can make this a long lasting basher.

If there were one ride I would take other than my LST would be between the Revo 3.3 and the Savage. So many upgrades available its worth either one.

Just know that with any ride you get, you will want to upgrade servos, batteries and eventually a motor.

Play with it, love it, break it and choose wisely on upgrades.

Never found any of my set-ups to be too loud - and some sound both sweet & nasty at the same time.

I think your running rich

:hehe: "How big of a tank you have on there? I have never got more than 10 out of a Savy."

I think you are running rich... i have a big block and it get at least 20 min. and i am running it a little rich.

I have a revo 3.3 :second_place: and a savage 4.6. :first_place: the Revo is easyer to control because its lower. But i would go with the savage because its strong and has more power then the revo. I have drove the t maxx and it sucked. They break if you look at then wrong. anther option you can look at is the cen gst 7.7. :third_place: I have never drove one but from all the reveiws i have read they are a sweet truck.

Savage- :first_place:
Revo- :second_place:
Cen gst 7.7- :third_place:
T-maxx- DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!

as for what savage i would go with the new HPI SAVAGE X SS K5.9

Back