First real Heli Novice FP

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I get when I go to Hobby People to look at that heli

helioutofstock.jpg

does the one I posted show up as a pic, or the error. On my screen its a pic

http://www.hobbypeople.net/specials/mysteryhelihome.html

website link

Guess I chose the wrong hobby:hehe:

Not at all. I think your just trying to be too quick, to be honest. Flying RC heli's, especially single rotor helis is going to take a long time to learn.

Have you got or considered investing in a simulator for the PC? It's a cheap way to practice.

Not at all. I think your just trying to be too quick, to be honest. Flying RC heli's, especially single rotor helis is going to take a long time to learn.

Have you got or considered investing in a simulator for the PC? It's a cheap way to practice.

I have an old one, and I dug it out recently. Its the type that came with a controller. It doesn't seem realistic but it may be where I learned to fly years ago. It has planes and helicopters on it. I forgot all about it. It was called easy fly. I tried a new version in the hobby store but it seems to be the same, the way it acts just the new one has better graphics and more options. One thing is the second you take off it just hovers, and you can take your hands off the controls. Right there I know its not like flying for real. My old one and the new one does this.

Also what am I being to quick about, if its the new helicopter my dad has forced that on me, he bought it. I'm perfectly fine with my small one in the garage, now I'm forced to take the bigger one outside which I'm not comfortable with.

If you want to fly on a sim FOR REAL, check out RealFlight G4.5. There's usually a working display at the big hobby store chains.

Tell me what went wrong. This is the new one my dad bought. The 4 times I flew it the other day every lift off it would jolt forward suddenly onto the tip of the landing gear during acceleration and suddenly change direction a few feet in the air. Not sure if the gyro does this or the wind.
Did a video today, little wind, if you watch when it just takes off it does the jolt but then sweeps around. I'm thinking the trim was off, it may have been from putting the remote into the box from before. I never marked the last settings we had. I dont think the wind blew it around so fast today though. I'm pretty careful only using the throttle with little pressure so I'm sure I didnt move my finger sideways. Anywas the little tail fin and mount for the rotor motor broke from this, so no more flight after this. The other day flying it did the same circle around in the air but it was windy and I was able to land it. My dad is trying to find some old training gear from his old heli he never flew, were going to use those from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say, but looks like it could be wind and an over correction. I find (though more on the CX3) my hand does a circular sweep around the right stick sometimes after I over correct, don't know why, but I shouldn't.

Wind has an odd effect on a heli. There will always be one blade approaching the wind gust and one blade retreating from the wind gust. The approaching blade gets a sudden gain in lift and the retreating blade gets a drop in lift. This causes a cyclic response (like you hit aileron or elevator input). The effect on the helicopter will happen at an angle to the wind, due to gyroscopic procession.

I'd be careful flying around those power lines too :) Not only hitting them, but they may interfere with the radio.

yes power does effect the radio, in the garage with the nano one the washer machine went on, the lights flickered for a split second and the helicopter fell out of the air, receiver flashing like it needed to be binded again.

I got the bigger one flying good today, put on the training gear and flew it in the driveway and backyard. Batteries seem to last 5 min or so, takes an hour to charge them. Seems like one of the servos makes a shuddering noise, not sure if its stripping somehow, but then sometimes it wont make the noise. Also after switching batteries I have to adjust the tail alot one way, then in a few min of flying it goes back the other direction on the trim. Not sure what that means unless the stripping servo has something to do, or is it the gyro?
The servo noise is from the forward and backward servo movement. Looks like 2 servos do this movement so it may be hard trying to figure out which one is making the noise, maybe next time I will take a video of it to see if someone has an answer for it.

In the backyard I'm almost flying the mystery like my nano one, maybe a few more flights. I love the training gear makes it seem more steady.

First time with training gear Mystery

Trying out outside flying, very little wind Novus FP

well I'm pissed. after flying the crap out of the little novus the main motor is siezing up and will only fly for 30 sec. slows down so much it wont let it lift. its only been 10 days since I bought it and that motor is already dying. then to top it off I call the hobby store to see if they had a motor, and the guy talks me into a brushless kit. I ask if its in stock and he says yes, I verify it comes with the esc, receiver, tail motor etc and he says yes, and its $60. I found a combo online for $70 so I said save it I'm coming right over. of course the guy isnt there so another guy starts taking parts off the shelf, and only gives me a motor and esc. says it just plugs into the receiver no other parts needed. I tell him about the guy saying there was a kit or something but he says no this is it. So I get home and of course I need a receiver for it. No one has any in stock and if they did its just as much for this whole combo, http://www.wowhobbies.com/saledepositforbrushleeskitforthe43b-69-1-1.aspx so I'm ordering this one, I just hate waiting for parts to come in. I'm using 2 batteries and one is only 4 days old, both are over 4 volts when the heli wont fly anymore so I'm pretty sure its the motor, even if its something else the whole brushless combo comes with all new electronics anyways. Plus online they had 650m batteries for $8 each compared to the 400m I have.

Sorry to hear that. That's the reason I start with bare bones and build my own setup. It does get costly, but every dollar is well spent in the long run since I'm not throwing away the cheap parts that came with it. Usually they (the manufacturer) expect you to buy the exact replacement parts and they make more money on you.
Lately it seems that the LHS people that get hired are NOT in the know about electronics, so it's up to us to stay informed before we buy. If it weren't for this forum, I'd have been very unhappy with some of the items the sales 'kids' tried to push.

one guy said I should of put oil on the motor shaft, but it doesn't say anything in the instruction book. I really didnt expect it to go bad in 10 days, but yesterday I was reading online alot of people complain about the motors dying. At $7 each its not a big deal but I would of expected maybe a month or 2.
Hopefully brushless will be better for lasting longer, I'm not really into the extra power it may give.... yet

My Blade MSR flys steady from day one. I got it trimmed on flight one, was moving forwards 8-10 feet steady, same for backwards by the 4th charge.

I'm up to flying it outdoors (really early in the morning when their is no breeze or people at the park) and doing outside turns.

BTW, helpful hint. Get it off the 'deck' by at least 2 feet. The wash off the ground makes it rock and less responsive.

And, no problems with broken parts yet. My previous helicopter experience was/is a Venom AIr Corp. What a piece that was.

read around online and found spraying wd 40 into the motor will make it run for a little while, guess it helps the little wires that act as brushes, I did this and it did fly like normal. So I went out today and got a stock motor, and have ordered a brushless combo for it, so in a few days I should get the combo. atleast I know its not something electronic, I guess alot of people have the motor go bad from 1 flight up to 20 flights, I was a little over 30 so I got lucky. But I didnt expect the motor to go bad so fast, if I knew that I would of went brushless sooner

Got the brushless combo, new esc, receiver, main motor, and upgraded brushed tail motor. The tail motor died the next day:angry: after 6 batteries.
Funny thing though, the stock tail motors work perfectly. Not sure if the upgraded motor is a scam, but it does use a different part number.

Anyways I've got so much better now I can hover and cruise around almost the entire battery in the living room, and really fly good in the garage where there is more room. Started to fly sideways with the tail to the left or right. Havent even tried the front towards me yet, not ready for that.

I also ordered a new heli, same size and type but with a drive shaft tail rotor and a upgraded brushless from the one it comes with so I only have 1 motor to worry about now. Ended up being the same price of the one I got originally. New one is made by walkera, who actually makes the one I got 2 weeks ago just someone else put there name on it.

Hopefully I can keep the new one from getting damaged to much until I build up a spare parts bin. I have so many parts for the one I have now I can almost build one from scratch. When there all under $8 its very affordable.

Sadly my dad forgot how to take off and has gotten worse, I ordered some training gear that will fit ours for him.

Well I have flown a few more different types of helicopters, my next purchase was a 4#6 which ended up truly being the worse one yet as the metal used in the parts wears out within 1 week of use, and I've rebuilt it 3 times all from new parts, yet they still wear out. Dumped alot of money into that one on only parts.
Next I got a 4g6, same one but a cp. Been flying this new one for a week now and really love it, it has all plastic parts so hopefully those wont wear like the metal ones. Also just yesterday trying my hand with a larger electric cp. This bigger one I got within a week of my very first purchase back in feb, from my dad but never really flew it, only hovered it. Yesterday was the first real flight, and after 4 flights I took the training gear off. Thats the only one I used training gear on only because of the size.

Here some videos, from early on, until today
I've only been flying since feb this year so its not the best, but I can fly the whole battery time now for a few weeks.

Looking good, especially in the tight confines of the garage.

Click the address bar on top of the video window. The start arrow doesn't work.

Looking good, especially in the tight confines of the garage.

Click the address bar on top of the video window. The start arrow doesn't work.

Thanks, that was an older video, I can now hover onto the roof of the car, slide down the back window land on the trunk. With the cp I fly now it doesn't loose lift like the fp did so I have alot more steady control which really helps me fly in tight areas.