Feedback - New LOSI 8ight-T 3.0 Truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revo_R

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Will start a project for the LOSI 8ight - T 3.0 Truggy (assuming no delivery delays due to weather, etc). - Here is what i have ordered so far in addition to the truggy kit:
(a) Novarossi .25 Roma turbo plug nitro engine
(b) Novarossi Super Strong EFRA 9901 Tuned Pipe
(c) Novarossi Short / Smooth Manifold
(d) Hitec 7955 TG - Steering Servo
(e) Hitec 7940 TH - Throttle/Brake Servo
(f) Airtronics all the way on reciever/transmitter system
(g) Super Soft Mounted Truggy Tire/Wheels to lay down the power

I know this kit is relatively new.. but if anyone out there has any experience with it - would appreciate any experience / tuning tips that you are willing to share?

Thx

I know nothing about that truggy (although I am very familiar with TLR nitro buggies).

However, I just got myself a Roma as well for my D8T...but yet to run it. So glad to have another Roma owner on here. What led you to your pipe selection? Have you run a Roma before? I'm going to test out different pipes but starting with either an 086 or 9886/41001. I do have three 7955 servos. They are nice servos. Same with the 7940.

I'd say until this truggy gets some track time--it's pretty much test as you can.

Last edited:
On the pipe selection, you ask a good question: I have no experience w/ the Nova mills, but at my track - see quite a few folks with them, and I've watched these guys tear the track up, which i like to see. High quality seems to be the lifeblood of Novarossi. I based my pipe selection literally right off of the Novarossi suggested pipes/manifolds for this specific engine. I have experience with the JP-3 Jammin exhausts for my Revo w/ a JL .28 MAX mill. Absolutely, great exhaust / manifold combination. But figured I give something else a try.... Will see how it goes. Appreciate your insight / advice.

No problem. I'm going to be real curious how you like that Roma. I've yet to even see one in real life, but based on what I've been told by guys who know much, much more than me, it's one of the nastiest engines out there irregardless of class. I was running an OS 25XZ. It's mean for sure, but wanted something to throw my D8T around with a blip of the throttle. I simply wanted THE best truggy engine for my needs and this was the one that kept coming up...so I'm geeked. Regarding pipe, I've heard top-end pipes are most effective on this engine. I run 30% on most my race engines...but am strongly considering 25%.

Where are you with your build? What else do you run? I'm a fan of TLR all the way around...but there are a few things that torture me about them so elected not to get the T-3.0. (instead I'm getting a Serpent). If my son (whose the real racer) likes this 801XT we'll roll with that, else I'm not sure what's next as far as truggy. I can tell you that Losi are as durable of a kit as you will find on the market.

The only thing I'd recommend is stick with the stock clutch. I'm an M2C guy but these Losi clutches (which I frankly doubted) have really impressed me.

Awesome.... I've seen the Nova .25 in action - BEAST!!! I'm right at the beginning w/ my build. After much research, I initiated the order a few days back and should be getting a package tomorrow with the kit (e.g., truggy, engine, etc.). From there, will get down to business & assemble - paint body. Should have everything together by thursday - then I'll do breakin by Friday b4 heading off to the track.

Right now, I run a Revo w/ a JL .28 MAX mill coupled to a JP3 exhaust plus all of the fixins - I really like the Revo with all that I've done - but it is a MT... will never 'fly' or handle like a truggy.

Mate, you will LOVE the losi Truggy. I have a 2.0, word is the 3.0, which is very similar, is a great truck.

As you've said, an 8ight T will run circles around a Revo.

Ps. Nice choice in motor, servos and receiver/transmitter, but stay away from super soft tyres, you will find that you will go through them too quickly.

Practice with mediums, and race with softs....

Have fun.

I was almost done building the bloody kit last Friday only to find the center front dogbone was too short - kept falling out of the center & front differential outdrive cups. Found out, LOSi was well aware of this problem & when I called horizon hobby tech support, they sent me the replacement part unfortunately, not overnight mail... so I'm still waitin' should have tomorrow - then will finish up the build.

Oh, on the tires - already got the super softs... I run these on my revo as well. I only run at the track - Realize they wear quickly, but I just love the traction.

LOSI 8ight - T 3.0 Truggy Kit Completed - Photos

Gents,

Here is a photo of my LOSI 8ight - T 3.0 Truggy Kit that I just completed... Now need to break in (hopefully no issues to be encountered).

Cheers

Attachments

• Feb 20th '14 - Losi 8ight T 3.0 Kit Completed (640x480).jpg
    Feb 20th '14 - Losi 8ight T 3.0 Kit Completed (640x480).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 114
Wow... ran 11 tanks of fuel to start the break - in process.... On tank 10, this Novarossi started really opening up and the truggy is running delightful (looking forward to when the motor is fully broken in).

That's awesome! I had to halt the break in of my Roma as I lost my temp gun. While I'm not a slave to it...there is no way in hell I'm breaking in an engine like this without knowing the temps. The best part? We drove 25 miles to get a new temp gun today (along with a few other things), only to get home and realize the LHS guy forgot to put it in our bag. Woo-hoo! Meant to ask if you used digital calipers during your build? If not, I'd definitely recommend them. After building my first kit (without them) I re-measured everything when I got the calipers and could not believe the performance difference once I trued up all the links.

I hear that - Temps are absolutely a key input to the nitro engine break-in data array.

You hit on a good point ... I used the 'old school' method of manually marking off distances and verifying via secondary readings. I did try to pick up some digital calibers @ home depot and lowes without any luck. If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up your digital calibers? This will definetely make life easier & mitigate some of the inherent human error factor.

No problem. I'm going to be real curious how you like that Roma. I've yet to even see one in real life, but based on what I've been told by guys who know much, much more than me, it's one of the nastiest engines out there irregardless of class. I was running an OS 25XZ. It's mean for sure, but wanted something to throw my D8T around with a blip of the throttle. I simply wanted THE best truggy engine for my needs and this was the one that kept coming up...so I'm geeked. Regarding pipe, I've heard top-end pipes are most effective on this engine. I run 30% on most my race engines...but am strongly considering 25%.

Where are you with your build? What else do you run? I'm a fan of TLR all the way around...but there are a few things that torture me about them so elected not to get the T-3.0. (instead I'm getting a Serpent). If my son (whose the real racer) likes this 801XT we'll roll with that, else I'm not sure what's next as far as truggy. I can tell you that Losi are as durable of a kit as you will find on the market.

The only thing I'd recommend is stick with the stock clutch. I'm an M2C guy but these Losi clutches (which I frankly doubted) have really impressed me.

Not trying to be a peepee or naysayer, but stock vs stock the OS 25 kicks the Roma's butt.... The OS is timed far more aggressively and has a fully open exhaust port, whereas the Nova has a partially closed exhaust....

Out of all the stock truggy engines you can buy the OS 25 is the fastest.... to beat the stock OS 25 you need to step up into modified engines.....

If your after something that can light up a OS 25 then you may want to check out my Clocked 28-5T....it is ridiculously fast powerful and violent.

How is your Roma doing Revo_R? I got some track time with mine finally. I'm intrigued with this engine as it's hard to explain....but feels like a B6 on steroids. It is very smooth (which I love) but 1/4 throttle in I'm thinking "oh sh*t" as it pretty much takes over the truggy. But yeah, initial impressions....smooth (which I really like), and allows me to put the truggy where I want whenever I want. I love it! I'm running M2C 4-shoe with .95 and 1.0, (medium shoes) and am already thinking I might spring down or add weight to the flywheel.

Nitro Nerd - Glad to see you got your Roma out on the track... I have mine all broken in now (~ .90 gallon) through the mill - noticeable change in performance / engine much looser now. Plan on taking it to the track this weekend. Here is a short vid of me breaking in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revo you run on a gorgeous track. I'm jealous. I love our local track but undercover like that? That would play havoc on my bank account, I'd be there every day.

aMawds... Oh yah - I go to that track as much as possible. This track is in Porter, TX - Mike's Hobby Shop (Gulf Coast Raceway). Real nice facility... $10 to use for the day. They also have the big national level races there also - fairly recognized facility.

Just looked it up, I've watched a half dozen races on youtube on that track. Watching some of those races is one of the reasons I got into this hobby and started racing almost immediately.

Sick truggy. Can't wait to get one.

Thx, Savage... I am sure u will like. Only problem, hard to get spares at the moment, everything on back order, but that will change soon enough (hopefully).

Back