FD Windows 10 Update

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamz9561

Proud Short Bus Rider
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Got the must reboot nag today on both desktops. I managed to get the how theater upgraded with no sweat. My workstation is the problem-child. I got an error as it shut down and now it won' t allow a start up repair to run saying that the disk is locked. It also won't allow it to revert to a recovery point... Man, there are dayß that I hate computers.

What happens when you turn the workstation on, does it just boot loop? Many people have had issues with windows 10 "upgrades" personally I haven't bothered yet, I just found windows 10 too boring, if that makes sense. I just say if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I didn't. However some people love it, each to their own.

It just showed the blinking cursor in the top left corner of the monitor. The only fix I could get to work was a complete reinstall. As far as Microsoft goes, I've been messing with it since the dark days of MS-DOS 3.2. You haven't lived until you've had to write your own autoexec.bat and config.sys files from scratch as well as having to figure where to load your TSR programs (Terminate and Stay Resident) without overloading the lower 640 KB. lol

It just showed the blinking cursor in the top left corner of the monitor. The only fix I could get to work was a complete reinstall. As far as Microsoft goes, I've been messing with it since the dark days of MS-DOS 3.2. You haven't lived until you've had to write your own autoexec.bat and config.sys files from scratch as well as having to figure where to load your TSR programs (Terminate and Stay Resident) without overloading the lower 640 KB. lol
Well, you got it fixed. Generally I just avoid the older stuff, however also avoid the newer stuff...

It's what I did for a living before I retired. I use the newer stuff to keep my hand in.

It's what I did for a living before I retired. I use the newer stuff to keep my hand in.
That's what you have to do. It's pretty interesting to see how much technology has evolved in more ways than just looks, like most people.

I know the latest updates screwed up my media pc and other pc's from being able to connect to each other. I had to resetup the drive share and add the user groups back in. I have a couple drives in my media PC mapped in my main pc so I can easily rip/copy files (using cygwin and a shell script) to both the media PC and my external backup drive. I also use rainmeter and have that mapped drive metered so I can see how full it is without logging into it or looking. As soon as I rebooted, that drive showed as disconnected.

I upgraded all 3 of my PC's to W10 just so they were the same. My wife's laptop was a refurb from tiger and it has W10 pro, which my other two do not, that amkes some things a bit more annoying too.

Stupid windows.

I'm serious. I'm really starting to think my next comp should be a Mac. A friend of mine has it on her laptop and says she can get free support for life. Problem is, she never needs support. Nothing goes wrong.
I did the Win 10 a couple of months ago. Useless. Tried to take it out. Cost me a new HHD and all the reinstalls of my programs. I'll stick with 7 till it's obsolete.

I had 7 on two, 8.1 on another that I upgraded from 7, then when w10 came out, I waited a few months, upgraded 1, then used it a week or so and upgraded the rest. Before upgrading any of them, I mirrored the drives to an external replacement just in case. I also bought spare drives to re-mirror once a month just in case windows sends something catastrophic since I don't have the reinstall disks/partitions for any of the 3 pc's I have. I also have them because I have ssd's in all 3 of my pc's.

I'm serious. I'm really starting to think my next comp should be a Mac. A friend of mine has it on her laptop and says she can get free support for life. Problem is, she never needs support. Nothing goes wrong.
I did the Win 10 a couple of months ago. Useless. Tried to take it out. Cost me a new HHD and all the reinstalls of my programs. I'll stick with 7 till it's obsolete.
You learn from mistakes, with macs, you don't learn.

Go ahead and get a Mac, @Rolex. That'll make you an iSheep...

iSheep here.

All you boys who love frustration keep using MS products. My portfolio thanks you. :thumbs-up:

I have many more successes with Windows than failures. It just that when my Windows does fail, it does so spectacularly.

I have many more successes with Windows than failures. It just that when my Windows does fail, it does so spectacularly.

That is so true just got done wiping my hard drive on my laptop, what fun that was.

That is so true just got done wiping my hard drive on my laptop, what fun that was.
I think, for me anyway, the windows 10 update is what most people are having issues with. Personally, I have never had an issue with windows 7 once- It just works- for me anyway.

I haven't had many issues with w10. The only issue so far is when the latest update was done, it lost my "Everyone" group from drive share I had setup on my media pc for my mp3 and movie drives. Was annoying trying to figure that out.

I've had an issue with one of my PC's since I got it with W7 on it. Sometimes (about 80% of the time), when I choose reboot from the normal start button (restart, not shut down/logout), it hangs after the bios posts, then the windows starting screen comes up with the 10 or 12 rotating dots, they get stuck and I have to do a hard restart using the power button.

It was a real pain when I was remotely trying to do an update so I got a network accessible power switch that I can turn on/off with my phone. I have my bios setup so whenever power is lost and regained, the machine starts. Talk about a crappy fix.

I haven't had many issues with w10. The only issue so far is when the latest update was done, it lost my "Everyone" group from drive share I had setup on my media pc for my mp3 and movie drives. Was annoying trying to figure that out.

I've had an issue with one of my PC's since I got it with W7 on it. Sometimes (about 80% of the time), when I choose reboot from the normal start button (restart, not shut down/logout), it hangs after the bios posts, then the windows starting screen comes up with the 10 or 12 rotating dots, they get stuck and I have to do a hard restart using the power button.

It was a real pain when I was remotely trying to do an update so I got a network accessible power switch that I can turn on/off with my phone. I have my bios setup so whenever power is lost and regained, the machine starts. Talk about a crappy fix.
I upgraded a laptop to W10, and notice that once the screen goes black, the laptop isn't actually properly shut down, it's just the screen is off.

Works fine on my wifes laptop and my father in laws. Both are dells, can't recall the models though. I did shut off the hibernation/hybrid mode though as that seems to cause issues in windows 7 on up on some of the dells.