Esc motor timing and cogging

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i was having some cogging on my kronos with the hobbywing quicrun 150 amp esc. So i backed the timing down from 11.5 to 7.5 and raised the punch from 5 to 8. Cogging got worse. Stock gearing and running 4s. Back timing off more? Or raise it?

this is censor less correct? if it is only thing is to set timing to zero add new smaller tooth pinion.

this is censor less correct? if it is only thing is to set timing to zero add new smaller tooth pinion.
Yes sensorless. I used to run a 14t with out issue. Then i tride 6s batteries and went down a rabbit hole of dissapointment. I have since gone back to 4s, the only thing that is different is i out on corally punisher tires. They are a bit heavyer than the stock kronos tires, so i dropped a tooth on the pinion. Now I'm having the cogging issue.

censor less motors cog no getting around that issue ,with larger heavier tire I already would have dropped pinion teeth count.

censor less motors cog no getting around that issue ,with larger heavier tire I already would have dropped pinion teeth count.
There not larger, just a tad bit heavy than the stock kronos tires. But the corally punisher comes with the same set up as the kronos. So idk why I'm having an issue

I'd say the cogging will get worse with a higher punch setting.
Anyway, I never had cogging issues with the stock ESC (based off the 150 I believe) in my old Kraton no matter the gearing and tires. Unless you consider that little stutter off the line cogging. It's just how a sensorless motor geared tall starts up...

I'd say the cogging will get worse with a higher punch setting.
Anyway, I never had cogging issues with the stock ESC (based off the 150 I believe) in my old Kraton no matter the gearing and tires. Unless you consider that little stutter off the line cogging. It's just how a sensorless motor geared tall starts up...
No not on start up. I can be moving and punch the throttle and the thing will be clanking away and then will finally take off

Did you check the wiring? A cold solder joint or bad connection somewhere could be causing it. Weird.

Possibly motor on its way out?

So, i ordered a couple 4s packs. 5500mah 120c. I was running two 2s packs before. 5200mah and 50c. Was much better this time around, but i think i got something bigger going on. Every time id land a jump, it would cog on take off. When it never cogged at all when just running around. Also 3 times it took off at full power, but i was able to stop it by reversing it. It has never done this before. Esc on way out?

Maybe motor overheated and got so weak that ESC can't sync properly