Ericke1's Speed Demon

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the last update I added twin cooling fans on the motor. Once I get all the setup coprrect I will give the motor wires the same black wire covers as the rest of the chassis.

627208815_RpgdK-L.jpg

I did a 5 minute shakedown run today before I hook up the data recorder for more testing. Lots of short heavy throttle and braking to make the ESC work hard. Of course, as soon as I start the run the TX starts signaling low batteries which hindered my range. :doh:

Ambient temp was 70 F. The motor ran 145 F which is slightly hotter than what I prefer. Lipo packs were 120 F which is within safe range. The ESC was up to 170 F which is too hot IMO but according to the Novak instructions the safe range for the ESC is 160-170. I'm going to punch some cooling holes in the body and tweak the ESC settings to hold back some power on initial acceleration and braking. Slipper was a little loose so I'll tighten that up also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good Diesel, you will need to test the top speed too, would be cool to get a speed reading

THANKS, it looks great!!!

IMGP1352.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished charging the packs, both discharged 2300mah during the 5 minute run, which means you should be able to get an easy 10 minutes from your 5000mah packs.

I have new batts in your TX so I can actually drive the car further than 75 feet without glitching. :hehe: High speed runs tomorrow, I will have a calculated top speed based upon actual maximum motor rpm data.

Also, I did a short test with some smaller capacity packs to test the LVC. It works... when the voltage drops below the 6V threshold the car will hesitate and stutter and the LED lights up. But, the LED is very hard to see unless you bend down low. I am going to remount it in a better location.

I also forgot to mention that robmob's suspension set-up was spot on. :first_place:Other than traction rolling in the video the rig was planted.

Last edited:
How about the battery quality, should I go ahead and get the same ones or look for a better substitute. 25c discharge is the right one right not higher? If its only 10 mins maybe I should order the other set for now, will the higher MAXamps batteries give me a lot more?

Please also put my custom sticker "SWEET DIESEL AUTOMATION INSIDE"

Last edited:
Your batteries are fine, I'm most concerned about the ESC right now. It's just too hot for comfort.

Please also put my custom sticker "SWEET DIESEL AUTOMATION INSIDE"

Chassis space is a bit sparse, I'll see what I can come up with.

nice looking ride...makesme want to bust my erevo out.

Looks great! I was subscribed to you on Youtube and once I saw the video I came to this thread ASAP. Can't wait to see the high speed runs!

Also, where did you get your black wire covers? They look sick!

nice job sweetdiesel just great

Looks great! I was subscribed to you on Youtube and once I saw the video I came to this thread ASAP. Can't wait to see the high speed runs!

Also, where did you get your black wire covers? They look sick!

Wire covers were bought locally at Frys Electronics. I have test video but I need to figure out how to trim it down (avi file). Youtube only allows vids that are 10 minutes or less. Wish I had known that before I waited 3 hours for it to upload.

The last time I tested the Novak system, it ran nice and cool with the addition of cooling holes cut into the windshield. However, the packs showed too much voltage drop under load which really hurt top speed. It was able to wheelie on demand but it wasn't a speed demon IMO. The Novak system showed a high of 105 AMPS, low voltage of 6.3 per pack :whhooo:, and max watts of 684. Temps never got above 120 on the ESC, motor, or packs. Max rpms were in the 59K range for a calculated top speed of approx. 40 mph. Fast but not mind blowing. Higher quality packs would have helped but I suggested instead that a higher power system be installed along with higher voltage packs for a more efficient system.

So I decided to hook Erick up with a MMM running a Medusa Research 36-80-2200 KV motor. The motor is extremely long and has a RCM heatsink clamp to keep it cool and from coming apart. First test run will be with 20/54 gearing and dual 5000mah 3S packs by Zippy and Turnigy.

The motor shaft had to be trimmed in order to clear the top of the shock mount. I also had to trim down the shock mount in order to shoehorn the motor in. It just clears.

640721178_Ysukr-XL.jpg

640722549_MesZQ-XL.jpg

640719611_9zUdP-XL.jpg

640719298_ckRvs-XL.jpg

640718917_CXECP-XL.jpg

Vid coming soon.

Last edited:
Those are some ultra beefy wires Dom! What are they like 10ga.? That's awesome bro!

*edit*

n/m, I think I see 12 awg. Sort of hard to make out. At any rate, that's a BadA truck so far.

Thanks bros. The series harness I made is from Castle Creations 10 ga. The wires from the ESC to the motor connectors are also Castle 10 ga. The motor wires are stock 12 ga.

The turnigy packs have 10 ga wires, while the zippy packs have 12 ga.

I just looked closer on the turnigy packs and the wires are 8 ga. Those buggers were a pain in the @#$ to solder.

I snuck a quick test run in today after taking the family out. Slipper was quite loose and I forgot to bring my tools. Will do a full test tomorrow with the data recorder.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOOKS FAAASSSST

ROBMOB where are you..oops think Diesel left you behind??.,....

Back