Engine Swap!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitroarrr

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok first of all I have to confess that this isn't a massive .12 to .30 engine upgrade. I've got an old Kyosho Quad rider with a GT12 engine and instead of trying to repair the old engine, I thought it would've been easier to replace it.

IMG294.jpg
The quad without the shell

So I managed to pick up a kyosho GX12 engine of ebay for 35 quid, and even though its the same size, its newer and should hopefully run a bit better. Luckily it came with exhaust, carb, clutch etc. so all I needed to do was bolt it in, but ofc things are never that easy and I found I had to do a few adjustments.

IMG289.jpg
The new(ish) engine

IMG298.jpg
The engines sized up

I'll be adding more on the build soon, watch this space ;)

First thing I noticed was that the carburetor and exhaust were in the wrong place, but luckily all i had to do was turn them around.
IMG353.jpg

Then I found the engine wasn't sitting right, so I added a small plate under the engine where the previous engine had mounts.
IMG354.jpg

So once the engine was in and mounted (pic up soon) I thought I'd give it a bit of a test drive, I noticed at high revs the engine kept cutting out. Adjusted the mixture numerous times and the problem kept persisting. Turns out the pipe from the exhaust to the tank was getting squashed.

IMG363.jpg

So next thing I guess is to drill a hole and hopefully should all be running smoothly :\

A little late but first things first, pic!!
IMG_20150404_123016[1].jpg

So there's the quad with the GX12 engine sitting pretty. Ran fairly well for a couple years but nothing too exciting. So recently I decided to have a bit of play around with electric rather than nitro.

Just today got some goodies in the post!!
IMG_20150404_113432[1].jpg

Quick overview of bits :

Orion Vortex 4100kV motor.
Speed passion Reventon-S ESC
and some Overlander 3300mah NiMHs.

No idea how any of these will perform tbh but they were fairly cheap and hopefully shouldn't be too difficult to put together. Next update should be within three years this time ;) so watch this space!

Never seen one of those before but I dig it. Do you have the body for it?

So unfortunately, seems like I can't find a pinion gear that'll fit the gear currently on the chassis. Looked around and went through so many ideas of modifying the old clutch, the drivetrain etc. In the end I figured it's not worth it, hopped on the bandwagon and got myself a tidy HPI Sprint 2 Sport [pics soon]. Have to say I'm pretty happy with it and it performs quite well, still needs a bit of tuning and setting up but overall a very good buy.

Never seen one of those before but I dig it. Do you have the body for it?

Yeah It's an old Kyosho (1995-2000 if I'm not mistaken) 1/4 scale quad, I've got the shell I'll dig it out and upload pics tomorrow. I managed to buy it second hand from a local market for (what I thought to be) very very cheap, so unfortunately I've only get the shell with no actual quad rider.

Hey people, I realise it's been a year since this was last updated but (sort of) exciting updates on the way.
[Warning - expect plent of pics :D]
So here is the Kyosho Quad Rider (minus the rider) with the extras removed.

http://[URL=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/RajinderVirdee/media/IMG_20160609_124804_zpsa8e5f863.jpg.html][ATTACH=full]89189[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]89194[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]89190[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]89191[/ATTACH]

The plan was to convert it to electric but couldn't get parts, but with my new found knowledge and availability of 3D printing, this project is back underway!!
So I've sort of laid out where I want everything to sit.

[ATTACH=full]89192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]89193[/ATTACH]

The metal bracket will need some drilling to hold the motor properly, should be able to do that soon. As you can see from the pics the pinion gear is pretty much all I need to get this running, so I'll be designing one on my PC once I'm happy with where the motor is sitting and hopefully soon after the quad will be running!

Attachments

• IMG_20160608_120850_zps4e41c067.jpg
    IMG_20160608_120850_zps4e41c067.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20160608_120525_zps6d3fc77e.jpg
    IMG_20160608_120525_zps6d3fc77e.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20160608_120326_zps3aec33fc.jpg
    IMG_20160608_120326_zps3aec33fc.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20160608_120343_zpse2068085.jpg
    IMG_20160608_120343_zpse2068085.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20160609_124804_zpsa8e5f863.jpg
    IMG_20160609_124804_zpsa8e5f863.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20160609_124804_zpsa8e5f863.jpg
    IMG_20160609_124804_zpsa8e5f863.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Finally got the bracket shortened and drilled a few holes to house the motor nicely :thumbs-up:

IMG_20160609_120651_zps6bba1fbd.jpg

IMG_20160609_122301_zps3e739b55.jpg

Here is where things get (sort of) exciting! I designed a gear and hopefully it should mesh fine with the existing gear on the quad, it's been sent for 3D printing and I should have it by the end of the week. I decided I won't make an attempt to mount the motor bracket until I've received the gear and I'm happy with the fit. Updates soon :)

Gear_zps66sdjdhm.png

Just out of curiosity. .. why didn't you go with a steel gear? They are readily available and not expensive...

Just out of curiosity. .. why didn't you go with a steel gear? They are readily available and not expensive...

I originally did try and find a pinion gear that would mesh with the gear currently on the quad but just couldn't seem to find one, I didn't want to risk shredding the gear currently on the quad (the big red one). Also, I didn't want to go through the trouble of modifying the chassis too much (and this was a perfect excuse to 3D print something :D).

Hmm. Ok. Robinson Racing sells gears I'm all the common pitches. Let us know how that works out. I'm intrigued.

Hmm. Ok. Robinson Racing sells gears I'm all the common pitches. Let us know how that works out. I'm intrigued.

I feel like I should've searched a bit harder for the gear online, I checked out a few of my local hobby stores and to be honest the staff weren't very helpful and made what I was doing seem impossible, hence why I gave up on the project in the first place. Hopefully soon I should have the gear and all should be running well!

That's one thing I have issues with at a LHS. (Really any retailer) When a person is trying to do something off the wall or outside the box, folks don't seem to understand and want to help. A good many years ago, I was building a custom air horn for my semi truck and knew what I needed but not where to find it. After the third person at my local hardware store, I ended up explaining it was for something else entirely to get what I needed.

So people, finally got my gear!!!! :D

IMG_20160620_112249_zpsyd5f0jbt.jpg

As you might be able to see, there are supports which were added by 3D printing software (because I added a recessed face) which I'll have to cut off, which shouldn't be too difficult. Also, some of the teeth need tidying up, just a bit of excess material it seems like. Unfortunately, my tolerances were too low and the gear doesn't fit on the motor shaft, but as it's plastic it should only take a bit of drilling:thumbs-up:.

IMG_20160620_112232_zpstgwtzqqj.jpg

It also seems to mesh fine with the existing gear on the quad, so once it's all neatened up and sitting happy on the motor, I can mount the motor bracket and get testing soon, should hopefully be smooth sailing from here on out!

More updates!!!

Got the gear neatened up (if you can really call it that), because of the way the 3D printer deposits layers, one side looks nice and smooth whereas the other side of the gear looks a bit scruffy, not a major problem though. I also made the hole larger so the gear would fit on the motor shaft. Once I was happy with the motor and it's position I made some marks and started drilling into the chassis. A couple holes, nuts and bolts later and the motor is sitting pretty! I ran the motor by plugging it directly into a battery and the gear seems to mesh fine, it doesn't seem like it'll chew all it's teeth off :D so it's looking quite promising!

So I was planning on using a HPI TF/RF 45 transmitter receiver pair which I've had unused since last year but couldn't get them to bind, after a bit of googling I found that apparently the pair don't work with electric vehicles, only nitro o_O. So I've ordered a new one which should be here sooner or later and then I can hopefully have the quad running!

IMG_20160620_114345_zpsvlkyicvg.jpg

IMG_20160620_145101_zpslcaurjrz.jpg

IMG_20160620_204242_zpsvloxiodx.jpg

IMG_20160620_145256_zpsr11fsruy.jpg

IMG_20160620_195504_zpsjnasglzv.jpg

IMG_20160620_212423_zpsjcp4dmeo.jpg

Interesting. I'm not quite sure I understand why the TF45 wouldn't work. What speed control are you using?

Interesting. I'm not quite sure I understand why the TF45 wouldn't work. What speed control are you using?

Hey Rooky, I'm using the HPI SC-15WP, I think it might have something to do with the battery being connected to the ESC and then the RF45, as opposed to a battery directly going to the receiver. HPI said on their website that the TF/RF45 won't work with electric vehicles but haven't said whyo_O.
I might just take the receiver off my on-road electric and give it a go, just to make sure all runs well.

Hey people, been a while but time for an update!

I received my new transmitter/receiver and got the electric quad up and running, unfortunately it didn't last very long. After about 30 seconds of driving the quad wouldn't budge when I pressed the accelerator but I could hear some slippage. Naturally I assumed one of the gears had been shredded to bits, on closer inspection they both seemed perfectly fine (which is kind of a good thing?).

It turns out the differential on the rear axle is slipping, but because it's so old I can't seem to find any documentation/replacements. I've tried disassembling it but have had no luck. If anyone has any ideas (or advice on where I can possibly find some info) please please please let me know :thumbs-up:. Seems like the project is a no-go once again.

Back