Engine Problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash-R.C

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I have put about 2.5 gallons through the stock .21bb on my Savage. For the first 10 tanks it ran fine without any stalls and I completed the tanks. After about 10 tanks I noticed that the engine would run fine for the first minute or 2 then it would start getting really hot and then vapour locking the carb. I then have to wait 15-20 minutes for a cool down until I can start her again.

I have done the following to try and fix the problem, cleaned the fuel filter, change the fuel line, seal the tank, apply new o rings on the tank, add the duel tank modification, seal the backplate, seal the HS needle, clean the pipe, seal the carb and nothing seems to work. I have also taken apart the HS needle to see if there was blockage and theres none.

Also I'm not running lean cause I did a test today and ran it so rich that it will not hit 2nd and it wont hit High Rpms. It will run fine that way at temps around 270. If I lean it out a little bit it will overheat. My HS needle settings are around 4 1/2 turns right now any farther and it will lean out.

I'm running 15% nitro and 20% oil with an O.S. A3 plug.

Any advice Savage experts?

Steve

what you have described is a textbook case of blowby. The only solution for this is a new piston and sleeve. This was caused by excessive over revving, overheating, or too many widee open throttle runs. On occasion it can also be attributed to a poor engine. 270 degrees that rich is WAAY too hot. should be about 190-220. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thats what your problem is.

Well at least I know what the problem is but I have never run this engine lean and it was fine for the first 10 tanks then all down hill. Think if I sent it back to HPI they will fix it for me?

The weird thing was that it was hot during break in too. When I wa idling the tank it was at 250-260 and the slow driving in circles the temps were 270-290. So I'm stumped. I never abused this engine either.

Steve

I doubt they will fix it, as 99.99% of the time, blow by is caused by operator error. Your best bet is to just get a new engine, as that engine is not know to be a super mill anyway. get a second opinion first, but I'm almost 100% positive thats what it is. Your discription is almost the dictionary definition of the tell tale signs of blow by. .21 engines run cooler than small blocks, and i dont even runn my small blocks that hot. you should be running around 220-240 with that mill, and your running 270 on the rich side, which tells me that u were probably over 300 before - which is death to any engine.

Ya your right I'm just mad cause I did nothing wrong and stayed close to factory settings so it is still rich and it still ran hot no matter what I did. Well i guess I might have to try one of those Picco .26 or Wasp .26 and trade my engine in for a new one for a 100 bucks.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Back