engine life

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRIDGE

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i know that racing fuels shorten engine life so whats an estimated life of an engine? i usually keep the lean- rich needle thing at the stock setting and the top one nearest to the fuel line at 2 turns counter colockwise. I'm a newb so please dont refer to me as :llama: are these carb settings ok? and dont forget the estimated life its an HPI rs4 EVO

my friend had his car for 3 years and running as good as the day he got his, and he has never cleaned it so that should tell u sumthing! :winnar:

thanks.... at least ill be able to buy a savage i was worried about having to buy a new engine because of the way that i was running it but i clean my car after every run whether the dirt is visible or not i think its still there LOL

Fridge one thing that you should do is invest in a bottle of after run oil. I think your LHS will have it for like $3.00-$5.00. This will keep the inside of your engine clean and should extend it a bit. It does not matter how much you clean the outside of your car. Engine life should be extended somewhat after using some after run oil. Fridge reference this article for some after run tips and procedures that will help you out in the long run.
http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/postrun_nitro.asp

Originally posted by newnitrofan
It does not matter how much you clean the outside of your car.

Well, it kinda does....for the engine anyway. A dirty engine doesn't cool as well as a clean engine. An overly dirty engine will run a little bit hotter than a clean one, because of the lack of air that can get to it. Use a toothbrush or wirebrush and clean the case of your engine every now an then. Depending on what temps you're running now a few degrees may not hurt a thing, but if you're already kinda high up there than the extra degrees can shorten your engine life.

Keep that engine sparkling!

I stand a little corrected. I actually meant the car itself. Agreed with GIL you should clean the engine casing, he is very correct here.

u should invest in a temp gun if your worried about over heating your motor. i believe running temps should not exeed like 190 degrees F. i run around 185 or so. But small blocks r abit different. they tend to run at higher temps then a big block would do to there stroke length and rpms. temp gun will save your motor life. a lean motor also tends to ping abit after it is reved high.

I think you are wrong about the engine temps.190? That is a break in setting for the temps. If you run it to cold the piston sleeve will not expand engough and cause premature wear on the piston and sleeve. A good temps to run with is aroung 230 250.

I know a fuel, is a fuel supposedly, but if your air filter is clean, and you have a fuel filter the only way your engine is going to wear is by what comes in through the fuel, and your running temps.

My suggestion. If you use the same fuel for along time, and the engine seems to last forever don't switch fuels. You have found a good one for the type of operating environment you have.

I think my theory supports why some peopel love and swear by one fuel, while others will curse it and praise their own. Everyone runs in different temps, for different lengths of time with their own personal tune.

I am sure the oil content, the nitro content, and the type of oils found indifferent fuels may be better for one environment than an another.

Best suggestions for making your motor last.

Run a good air filter.

Make sure your air filter never EVER comes off unless the outside around it is absolutely clean.

Never "Squeeze" an air filter that gets loaded with fuel. It squishes the gunk rugth down into the carb

If the airfilter falls off. Stop, make sure nothings in the carb clean it really good.

After run oil: not only does this prevent corrosion, but after a sitting a while the inside of an engine gets dry. Even just yanking on the pull starter with a dry piston/sleeve will wear a little bit.

Fuel. Clean your fuel bottle everytime out. Make sure your tank is clean too. If anythingat all is in the tank take it off and clean it right away.

I think part of the reason some people get up to a very rare 14-5 gallons and some get only 1 1/2 is because their style of play. I myself a BIG FAT hypocrit. I have three kids our time is limited. My before and after care sucks. I expect 3-5 gallons. I always do the after run and such, I just could do a better job for sure:OMG:

BTW not trying to be a know it all. These things I picked up all right here from the guys who have been here a while and know their Sheeet.