Engine Hard to Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsears

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My son-in-law's OFNA Force .12 is very hard to start. It has been broken in and after that, about 1/2 gal of fuel has been put through it. Problem is getting it started. Once it starts, it runs like a bat out of hell. Great take off, good top end, and good smoke trail. I can't say what the temps are. I don';t have a temp gun (yet). We are using O'Donnell 20% fuel. Medium hot plug, and roto start. Igniter is fully charged and glow plug glows bright orange. Here's the problem. The damn thing WILL NOT start unless you take the glow plug out and put a drop (no more than that) into the engine. Then it will start most of the time. Just putting a drop or two of fuel in the carb won't do it. After shutting it down, whether we kill it or it runs out of fuel, it's the same thing all over again. It acts like it's not getting enough fuel to start, but I've adjusted the carb as much as I dare, or it won't run even if it starts. It's his first nitro and I think he's starting to get frustrated (as am I). I don't want him to lose interest. Any suggestions on what we should check or do? I'm wondering if a hotter plug might help.

Does it flood at all? If not, maybe you're not getting enough fuel to the motor. May want to check the gasket on your fuel tank and verify the back pressure line is clean and clear?

try priming the engine, remove the pressure line from the exhaust, and blow into it to pressurize the tank and push fuel into the carburator dont blow to much or you will flood the engine. dont worry if you get a little fuel in your mouth, just spit it out.

If it runs great as soon as it's started, then has trouble starting once it's hot, I'm guessing you're a little too lean on the LSN. Wait till it's warmed up before making any adjustments, then richen it only slightly before making a short run with it. Check the take off, and let it get used to the new setting before adjusting it a little more. Do the same thing till you start to notice the take off getting sluggish. Set it where you get a good response and good idle.
Try that, then post back and we'll see how it's doing.