Dynamite charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I've got the Dynamite AC/DC 4-8 cell charger for my Traxxas 3000mah batteries for my pede xl5. The charger works fine and charges the batteries in the standard 1hour, but the case of the charger gets quite warm. Is it normal for chargers to get warm/hot while charging? My old charger which was a Prolux (similar charger) never really got warm like that (that I can remember).

BTW, I am charging the 3000mah batteries @ 4 amps since the only options for charging on that charger are 1, 2 or 4 amps and that takes just over an hour for a full charge.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Its pretty normal....one side of the case usually acts like one big heat sink. Then the fan just blows are through the case to help cool the case down as much as possible. I've seen some guys have custom build something like a laptop cooler that has an alluminum mount they can set the charger on and it has a couple of fans in it that blow air up on the outside of the case as well as the internal fan moving air through the charger case.

An hour is too long. Completely dead, it should take around 45 minutes to charge a 3000mah pack at 4 amps. And nimhs should never be run all the way down. Should stop at the first sure sign of performance loss. 4 amps is too high of a charge rate for a 3000mah pack as well. Charging it that hard will kill it faster. I charge my 4600 intellects at 2 amps. I get about 25 solid minutes of run time, and they peak at 2 amps in about 45 minutes. I aim a fan at my nimhs and charger to keep temps as low as possible. That's only after I make sure everything is working correctly by charging without a fan and checking temps. Nimhs should never exceed 120 degrees while charging or discharging.

An hour is too long. Completely dead, it should take around 45 minutes to charge a 3000mah pack at 4 amps. And nimhs should never be run all the way down. Should stop at the first sure sign of performance loss. 4 amps is too high of a charge rate for a 3000mah pack as well. Charging it that hard will kill it faster. I charge my 4600 intellects at 2 amps. I get about 25 solid minutes of run time, and they peak at 2 amps in about 45 minutes. I aim a fan at my nimhs and charger to keep temps as low as possible. That's only after I make sure everything is working correctly by charging without a fan and checking temps. Nimhs should never exceed 120 degrees while charging or discharging.

So you think that my charger is roached then?? Or are you saying that ny charger is getting warm to the touch because I am charging at too high of a charge rate?The batts are brand new, and I never run them right down. I always shut down before they are completely dead. Is it possible that the difference in charge times is related to the brand/model of charger?

I'm thinkin that perhaps the 4 amp setting would work better when connected to a strong 12v DC power source. the internal P/S is not achieving a full 4 amps output and more likely struggling to provide a 3 amp charge.

I suppose that could be a possibility too. I will try to plug into a diiferent outlet and see if that makes a diiference. thanks. So do you think that the 4 amp charge is too high of a charge rate or good for charging the 3000mah battery? The 2 amp setting would take too long to charge I would think.