Drill start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walleye

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
As you guys know I just got a new engine, I want to use the drill starter. What is this called other then Drill Start? Thanks

Ez-Start are on the TRAXXAS rides

RotoStart are on the Savage.

You can get the JumpStart from Hotbodies...samething just a nother division of HPI

Or you can get the Duratrax version. It holds two batteries instead of the one like the rotostart.

Just have to use common sense and stop after 5 seconds like HPI instructs on the handle of the Rotostart.

There is also the Thunder Tiger-Tiger Drive.

thanks guys but that's not what I mean, It uses a portable drill to kick over the flywheel.

There is nothing that I know of that uses a drill to turn over the flywheel. The only things that can use a drill have been mentioned above.

walleye said:
thanks guys but that's not what I mean, It uses a portable drill to kick over the flywheel.
Ok I think I know what you want. You want a handheld bump starter. If so you can get the handheld ones but you need to rig it with the wheel from a starter box as they come ready for an airplane. Is that what you wanted?

No I heard form a Guy at my lhs they were coming out with a starter that used a hand held portable Drill. I thought you guys might know something about it but I guess he was either full of it or lying.

i think he wants the same thing that are in schmachers .21 fusion. it is started my a hand held drill. i can't remember the name though.

the problem with a tiger drive and a drill is that the drill has to be fully charged and on full power in oder to get the engine to the correct starting RPM's, And no idea what your talking about walleye sorry

Duratrax also has their "kwik-pit" system, for $32 at tower, and it fits most popular engines (different versions availlable). It uses a 6 cell battery pack, so you would need a pack and a charger for it.

It resembles the HPI Rotostart system.

Hey guys,

see your talking about drill starts.

is a drill start the same thing as a roto start.

Somewhat, as the rotostart uses a proprietary drill.

Rush Evo man said:
Hey guys,

see your talking about drill starts.

is a drill start the same thing as a roto start.

my roto fried, so i put the shaft in my drill and start it that way.

http://nativeracinginc.com They make a crazy revo adapter to use a drill start shaft with a rubber wheel on the end. It hooks on the chassis and you pry up on it to put pressure on the flywheel. Odd looking but it may work well. They also make a revo conversion for the team associated starter box.

Last edited:
I can't believe i read this whole thing to find out it was from may of 06