Dovetail Joints

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely LOVE hardware stores and lumber yards.
Every time I walk into one, I get wood. :whhooo::D
Ain't that the truth!

When I was a kid it was the "Sears wish book."
Now it's Craftsman club, Lowes or Summit. :D

I won't use my Lowes credit card unless I can get the 0% interest. That is usually on $250 or more. Last time it was a chainsaw. That was just a little under, so I ended up with the Porter Cable cordless combo they sell. It's been pretty handy to have.

Just don't take the 'ol lady with you, if what ya need is under $250. (she won't want tools)

Gotta think things through if your married.
When I bought my band saw, I told her it would help me make nice things for the house....
Yeah right. I don't think it's seen anything but balsa and 1/8" light ply. :hehe:

Last edited:
Ain't that the truth!

Gotta think things through if your married.
When I bought my band saw, I told her it would help me make nice things for the house....
Yeah right. I don't think it's seen anything but balsa and 1/8" light ply. :hehe:

lol that is the classic line. thats how i got my oxy/acetylene tanks!

lol that is the classic line. thats how i got my oxy/acetylene tanks!
Welder and air compressor: I needed them to work on the vehicles. :D

Most of my tools I would be doing a project. I'd just go get what I needed.
She'll ask me if I can use something smaller. I just tell her it won't do the job. Works out pretty good, for tools anyway.....

Last few years she has caught on and using that same line. :hehe:

I'm a tool and machine addict. When I was ready to start the build for the big Humm Vee, I needed to cut a lot of brass stock to make the frame and battery holders.
Of course I had a hacksaw, a cutoff tool, Dremels, and anything else I could have used, but I went out a bought a Skill band saw. :first_place::D

lol you never really can have two many tools.
finally got some wood cut. it aint pretty, but itll will be the side that faces the wall. hopefully the other side turns out better. will post pics within a few days

lol you never really can have two many tools.
finally got some wood cut. it aint pretty, but itll will be the side that faces the wall. hopefully the other side turns out better. will post pics within a few days
Good luck with it.

You mean a butt joint with the dowel half way in each piece? This might have to be a direction I consider if I stay with wood as the material choice. I could easily go with steel and weld this bad boy up in an afternoon. But, I was just really looking forward to those nice two toned dovetails. But maybe I can still have the two different stains without the complexity of dovetails.
The dowels are a great suggestion though, because I dont want and metal brackets sticking out like sore thumbs. Thanks!

You can pick yourself up a Kreg Jig. You'll never look back... You can buy them at Sears, Lowes, Amazon.. etc..

Check out the video on YouTube...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnhMFNqRZ4"]YouTube - Kreg Jig®[/ame]

its like they literally spit at me when they say dowel!

I know I have failed to post pictures like I said I would....but now its actually taking up space in the garage and is picture taking worthy.
The pieces are just kinda secured together with only gravity though.
Pictures tomorrow!

This is incorrect my friend. Thanks to gravity, your rc helicopter will descend gracefully, at a constant speed, into your awaiting arms. And with a quick calculation, you can determine how much time you have to get under it!

Thanks to gravity, your rc helicopter will descend gracefully, at a constant speed, into your awaiting arms. And with a quick calculation, you can determine how much time you have to get under it!

Lol.....I think you're living in a different gravitational field than I am.

Constant speed is determined by altitude + terminal velocity.
According to my calculations, I hardly have time to get the hell out of there. :D

P2280008_2.jpg

P2280010_.jpg

P2280007_2.jpg

It is finally coming together.
Found some scrap wood to use as the shelves. Hate to settle, but this project has been taking WAY too long. Hopefully the stain will help hide some things.

That's really looking good. You can always upgrade the shelves at a later date.
Stain and satin Polyurethane will make it look like a pro job. :first_place:

My friends! It is finally completed and inside the house.
It has taken WAY too long, but there was alot of "curing."
(Thats the technical term for not wanting to progress on a project without sounding lazy)
I put on two coats of stain, and probably 3 or 4 or 5 coats of clear after. Its not flawless, but its got character, and its the only one like it around.

There is a before and after picture. The new shelf doesn't stick out from the wall as much, gives me a place to put my books and stuff for school, and is shorter.
The third picture is a close up of the top. I tried to show the grain/stain but the flash was being difficult.
The last photo was just another angle. Its really dusty in this one.
Now there is room in the garage for a new project.

Attachments

• P5251431.jpg
    P5251431.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 44
  • P5251442.jpg
    P5251442.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 43
  • P5231426.jpg
    P5231426.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 52
  • P5231425.jpg
    P5231425.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 44
yeah. some minwax fast drying stuff
I was real worried dust would stick to the wet surface so i'd close the garage door when I was finished. The fumes were super strong lol.

Back