deciding on first Nitro Car to buy... HELP!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimichim69

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've been interested in buying a Nitro car/truck for 3 years now, and I need some help on deciding which to buy. For starters, i'm mainly looking at the HPI and Traxxas trucks. I was hoping someone could rank each of the following on a scale of 1-5 on 1)Speed, 2)Power, 3)Fun Factor, 4)Maintenance/durability

Nitro Rustler RTR
Nitro MT2 RTR
RTR Savage 25
T-Maxx
suggestions?

I guess i'm looking for a truck that i can have a lot of fun hitting jumps with and just driving off-road....however i'm new to the hobby and i don't know much about maintaining/fixing/upgrading the trucks

PLEASE HELP!

Go with the Savage, way cool. I rate everything a 5 speed, power, fun, mintenace, durability. you will not regret it at all.

The Savage is going to be your best bet,its the toughest and most reliable out of the feild.It is kinda a PITA to work on but fortunatly you dont have to do that very often.Another good thing about the savage is its not neccesary to add alot of hop-up parts although if you wish to add some for the bling factor there are plenty to choose from.

savage speed?

how fast does the savage go out of the box? and what are the best hop-ups to increase the horsepower of the savage?

also, i was comparing the Nitro Rustler with the Nitro MT2 and they seem pretty comparable.... any opinions?

You want a stadium truck or monster truck? If stadium, Even though you stated you wanted HPI or Traxxas, I would still recommend either a Losi XXX-NT or AE RC 10 GT, these are much better stadium trucks. As far as monster, the Savage can't be beat for out of the box performance and reliability.

that's the question, i'm not really sure whether i want a stadium truck or a monster truck... Do monster trucks go much slower than stadium trucks? If someone could help me out with some pros and cons of monster vs stadium trucks it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
chimichim69 said:
that's the question, i'm not really sure whether i want a stadium truck or a monster truck... Do monster trucks go much slower than stadium trucks? If someone could help me out with some pros and cons of monster vs stadium trucks it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey dude,

Your obviously VERY new to the hobby but no worries as we all had to start somewhere. THe best advice I can give you is to READ, READ, READ. It's almost human-nature to want instant answers to questions but in the long run your much better off, if your willing to learn.

The biggest advice that I can give you if your new to nitro is to learn how to tune engines. Learn the basics of engine tuning and go from their. Like I just said in another post, it's amazing how many regulars in this hobby can't properly tune their engines. Once you get the tunning down, the rest is a matter of the size of your pocket book and driving skill.

FYI...Monster Trucks and stadium trucks are two completely different Nitro RC animals. What do you really wanna do with your truck?

i'm not really planning on racing my truck, because i don't really know anyone else in my hometown that has a nitro truck, but i'm planning on building a small track with some nice dirt jumps and such in a pretty rugged terrain area. I'm leaning towards a monster truck, but i might consider a stadium truck if they go a lot faster. Does anyone have any videos of the Savage in action, besides the ridiculous jump video on the hpi website?

I know it can be pretty frustrating helping out a newbie, but i really appreciate everyone's help and opinions

check the video forum on this site, there are several vids with the savage. I would go with the savage, I have one and it is tough out of the box, i would also go with a MT over a ST seems like MT is tougher, but I have never owned a ST, I just say that from looks.

I have a savage, and my friend has a HPI MT. The MT just can't handle the abuse that a savage can. The savage has a big block engine (bigger than .18 cubic inches) a .25 to be exact and that gives it more torque, and more HP. This means that it accelerates faster and has a higher speed, even though the savage weighs more it is still a lot faster than a NMT. The savage breaks half as much as the NMT and is a lot faster, IMO go with a monster truck, not the stadium trucks.

Well, a stadium truck is designed for low to the ground dirt racing, a road car is designed for the road, a buggy is designed for the same thing as a ST and A MT is pretty much built to drive everywhere else!

If your going to be driving in grass, gravel pits, parks, constructions sites... not on a well maintained dirt or pavement track, go with a MT.

If you go with a MT, go with the savage.

I think the Maxx tops out around 40mph and the savage SS with the right gearing will top out around there as well. These are about the only simalarities between a savage and a Maxx though.

The maxx is almost designed to be a track truck. You can beef it up to be a decent basher, but it takes quite a bit of $ to get there. As for the Savage, it's designed for beating the crap out of it. Jumps, ruts, nosedives, roof landings (in moderation) are all acceptable manuvers for the savage. Tmaxx is good for jumps, but you better land right more often than not or you will be repairing it. Also, the savage has a drive train built to handle power... and quite a bit of it!

I started with an ST and quickly realized it's limitations. Grass that's 3-4inches long is hard on a ST since it sits so low. It drags and heats the engine up. So, I bought a maxx. It was fun, but I put a lot of $ into it to make it last a few hours on a weekend. Then I got a savage... well, I really like the savage. After a few upgrades, it's a blast. It's weird not having to worry if it's going to break from doing something stupid or just plain old poor driving.

The Rustler was the only 2wheel drive truck you mentioned. It's not bad for entry into nitro, however I found weak points on it, and have done a ton of upgrades to mine (I still wouldn't race it). The HPI nitro MT is an oddball truck, so if you're looking to race, you might not find a class to run in. I can't speak for the Savage or T-Maxx, but I would base your choice on mechanical ability. Those are 4 wheel drive, with reverse (more moving parts, and assembly). The Rustler is an easy vehicle as far as maintenence....If you're mechanically proficient, and just concerned with the engine side of RC, then go with what you like....good luck!
- Russ

Dude make sure whatever you buy your locla hobby shop carrys replacement parts then also think if your not gonna fix it yourself do they onsite repairs. You don't want to buy sometinh that is a pain to work on. The savage is a great truck match it up against the Monster Gt booth trucks are awesome but the MGT is easier to work on I had a lot of headaches with the Savage.

get the savage dont waste your time with a stadium truck,stadium trucks a fun to race track style monster trucks are for all out bashing,i have both and i'd much rather play with my monster, they have better ground clearance get the savage!!!!

My advice when you get a car if it dosnt have a fail safe get one it will save you money and time!

Take a look at the Savage and your LHS for parts support. The truck is easily disassembled. The Savage engine can be removed with just the four mounting screws on the bottom with the exhaust still intact. To remove the rear end, you remove the bottom screws on the two most forward shocks. Then you remove a total of four screws (two on each rear side). Then just loosen the four engine plate screws (two on each side) and its off. If you buy the Savage make sure to locktite and CA all screws. The best way to do this is to start your break in process and each night remove different sections of the truck. Front end, engine, rear end etc.. and locktite or ca your screws. This is called progressive maintanance. The manual is excellent with exploded views to aid in removal and assembly. :2cents:

Scott.

If you have been waiting 3 yrs, the I say wait for between now and a month or so, and get one of those new LST monster trucks that Team Losi is coming out with. They look sweet, and come stock with some nice equipment. I know I want one!

chimichim69 said:

Chim

I just got into this hobby about 2 months ago. I had no idea what kind of truck to get. I ended up going with the HPI MT for because I want 4wd and price. I wanted a MT like the savage but didn't want to wait to buy one. BIG MISTAKE. The nmt just doesn't have the ground clearance for bashing. Even cut grass is a big drag on power. Seeing as the nearest track is an hour away and I do mostly bashing this sucks.

Senice I have gotten my nmt I have ended up spending far far more than it would have cost for a savage. It broke almost ever time I had it out. I ended up getting a rolling chassis with a ton of upgrades, and a brand new engine. At this point, I could have had a savage and then some. And it was still weak on the gas.

I have done allot of reading and it seems like most people recommend the savage 25 or SS for bashing. It has been said it is hands down the toughest MT on the market stock. After reading up on both I am going to get a SS. It comes in a kit form and I want to know what makes the truck tick. I have learned very quickly that when something does go wrong the biggest thing is just knowing what it is. I had to go home many times just because being a newbie I didn't know what was wrong. Building the truck would have been a great help. If you do go with the SS you will need a radio. I plan on getting a 3 shoe clutch and a primerless gas tank to install at the same time. As these items are stock on the RTR 25 but not in the kit, weird.

Sorry for the long post hope this helps you!

Last edited:
Check Out The Revo It's Pretty Nice Hpi And Traxxas Are Both Great Companies If You You Want A Tmaxx I Would Put Out 70 More For The Revo