cutting aluminum method?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad sceintist

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
does anyone know a good method of cutting aluminum flat stock?

i heard aluminum was hard to cut neatly.
i have a piece of 1/8th inch thick aluminum flat stock i got at home depot. i want to cut to make a chassis support.
i dont mean just cut in half but to cut curves with.
scroll saw? band saw? jig saw? dremel?

Jigsaw would probably be your best bet. WHile a bandsaw would cut it you will be limited in the amount of curve you can put on it.

Make sure what ever you use that you have the correct blade a high number per inch blade for soft metals...X

i didnt mean hand held band saw ....and table top band saw can make pretty acurate curves and such.

x789 so use a blade with a high number of teeth on it? that cuts softer metal cleaner?

Originally posted by El Pirata
Jigsaw would probably be your best bet. WHile a bandsaw would cut it you will be limited in the amount of curve you can put on it.

Actually EL, you would never cut flat stock with a jig saw, you would use a bandsaw, a table top. And X is right, try to go for 8 to 10 TPI (teeth per inch) this will give you a fair edge, the you can use a barrel sander with 50 grit barrels to clean the edges you could even take a 1 inch wooden dowel, wrap wet sand paper around it (320 grit) and use it to really eliminate any unfinished edges.

any way to use a dremel to cut out the curves i need? i can sand with it aswell.
my shop in my gargae was broken into when i went on vaccation.
all i have left is a dremel and some hand tools that were in the house. I'm awaiting an insurance check to replace what was stolen. i had a scroll and table top band saw, but i think i can only buy one this time. which do you suggest? scroll or band?

The Scroll saw will make tighter cuts, the Band saw will cut faster and straighter.

yeah i was thinking scroll too, but for non rc related stuff the band saw work better for the larger stuff.....ah i guess ill have to figure it out.....maybe i can pass on the drill press and get that dremel drill press. then i can get both saws again.
anyone use that dremel drill press? the newer one 212 i think

When cutting sheet metal, you NEVER use a tool that is bi-directional, like a scroll or jig saw. I know this because I have worked in and around machine shops and woodworking shops for most of my life.

I may be an RC novice, but I've done my share of wood and metal working. Listen to maxx, the jigsaw and the scroll saw will jerk the material up and down and make a holy mess out of it. The dremel is not the tool for the job imo -- it would take some time and I dont think you'd end up with straight lines.

The band saw is you best bet as the saw is always running one direction, pulling down on the material never back up. Go slow and use a high number of teeth per inch.

Bandsaws are not that expensive:

one at lowes

ummm that smiley face thins is super anoying.... just go to lowes.com and search for bandsaw. There is a delta one for $99

-rob

Last edited:
yeah i was into woodworking, and i was fine using a scroll for small wood projects.

the one directional cut makes total sense thanks

Back