Clutch slipping? help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simf40

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi, i've got a ftx picco in my savage 25 with a ofna aluminium clutch and medium springs also, the problem is it's slipping too much and so doesn't wheelie atall, it did wheelie for the 1/2 tank after i had put my savage back together, so i took it out and had a look at the clutch, nothing wrong with it,(of course it's aluminium), so i checked my slipper clutch aswell and it's fine, tried it again and it picks up a little bit better cause i tightened the slipper clutch a little bit more.

how do you know if your alloy clutch is gone? my clutch belll seems fine as it's a vented clutch bell, it's been anoying me for weeks and so don't know what to do,

Sounds more like your slipper is slipping than your clutch is slipping.

Try cranking it all the way down just to see what's really slipping. If it still has the symptoms of slippage, try different shoes... although, I can't imagine that the al ones slip much. If they did, they would overheat and melt which would let you know it's slipping.

Do you think maybe your flywheel is slipping on the crankshaft instead? I've had that happen before.

If you haven't found a problem with the clutch or the slipper, it's probably just a tuning issue. The LSN setting determines how quickly you transition from idle. Try leaning it just a little at a time and see if it picks up faster.

it's not a tuning issue as it wheelied the exact same day as it started to slip, i've checked my settngs and have leaned the lsn off a bit anyway,

well like i said as soon as i tightened the spurgear gear slipper, it did start to try and wheelie but i have now checked it again(the slipper) and set it at 1/2 turn out but how far in can you go before it starts to strip the clutch bells,

Do you think maybe your flywheel is slipping on the crankshaft instead?well that is one possible solution to the problem, but if it is how do you know that it's slipping? and how do you stop it, as i've tightened the clutch nut enough already cause i checked it last time it was out?

About all you can do, is pull off the flywheel and look at it and the collet to see if they are messed up to tell if it's slipping. Or, pull of the cb and tighten the flywheel nut just to be certain.

well took it out today and it was slipping alot, then it started to pick up(wheelies) then it kept revving higher and higher but the top speed was about 10mph, so i brought her in and ha a lok, then went off again and it just revved up and didn't hardly move, so i took the engine out and had a llok at the clutch(fine) and tried to tighten the slipper but it was really loose the metal pad could just spin and not toutch the slipper disk, even though i ahd tightened it propperly before i took it out, very strange, but it has melted the inside of the spurgear aswell a bit, that's when i could smell the rubber out in the field.
i'm gonna send it to HPI and see what responce i get,

There going to tell you torn up a spur gear and slipper pad. 5 dollars worth of stuff dude.

Have u replaced your spur gear recently? I had a problem similar to yours once but it was becuase i forgot to put the metal bushing in the new spur gear when i replaced it. The bushing goes inbetween the spring and the gear. If you dont have it then you will not be able to tighten the spring down on the clutch resulting in the problem you described. The nut will tighten but the slipper will remain loose. Its a simple thing you probably arleady know of but it just came to my mind.

the teeth of the spur gear are fine it's just melted the inside of the spurgear onto the metal hub whihc is beind the spur gear, i have all the corect piceces in place on the pur gear so that it should be loose when tightened, i'm just wondering the nut that tightenes the slipper up, has nylock on it so i'm thinking that has lost it's grip,

Back